Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon,

The forum has been a great source of info and enjoyment whilst I waited for my new car to arrive.

The story so far.....

I have previously been an X5 driver in the main for over a decade until September 2016 that is. That is when I bought an F-Pace 2.0L Diesel AWD R-Sport. Within a week, and after several visits to my local dealer, I rang JLR customer services and the supplying dealer, and told them of the issues I was having. To their absolute credit, after a very quick investigation they responded with several options. One of these was for the car to be replaced by them. Given a 9 week build time, they left me to use the car I was returning and in January of this year i collected the new F-Pace... Same derivative, but slightly different specification.

The same Jaguar/ LR dealer contacted me when the Velar was announced. I paid a no obligation refundable deposit and waited for more details on the car. I did not want the car until Sept/ Oct 2017. In late August, I confirmed my spec for a D180 S and was given a build date of the 15/9/17, with a handover booked in for around the 1/10/17.

On the 15/9/17, the dealer got in touch to tell me the car wasn't going to start being built that day! :eek: :eek:
The car was actually finished and being shipped into the dealers. They would have it by the 20th. :D
I collected it on the 22/9/17. I guess having been placed in the build slot queue early, it was a simple case of the dealer moving the slot, until the appropriate date to get the car built arrived. The dealer also mentioned they thought the factory was ahead of schedule.

Although I live in the Midlands, Taggarts of Motherwell supplied both of the F-Paces and the new Velar. My justification for a 600 mile round trip for the 3rd time to fetch a car? Their complete support and assistance in getting me out of the first F-Pace and into the 2nd. between them and JLR I could hot have asked for better service with the Jaguar. So I elected to buy the Velar from them too.

Early observations of the car.... the 2nd F-Pace was very good. However the Velar has been a revelation so far. Quiet. incredibly comfortable, and most surprising of all, the engine is incredibly refined. The F-Pace version now feels very crude by comparison. Yes it is a sharper handling car (I had mine on 20" wheels) , but the way the Velar (on steel coils with 19" alloys) rides and drives is just astounding. I wish I had bought the 20" wheels I originally chose. It is s shame that dealers were not given D180 demonstrators. I could only find D240's with air suspension all running on fat wheels!
So with some of the concerns that I had read about with steel coils and with the F-Pace being very firm on 20's, it made me decide to stay with 19" wheels.
The engine is the same in both vehicles, but again, sat behind the wheel of each, the Velar feels so much quieter, smoother and better balanced. When I came out of many years of driving a V6 diesel BMW into 4 cylinder Jaguar diesel, the difference was very notable, but I got used to it. I have the same feeling of difference now, but for the positive. The Velar 4 cylinder diesel is infinitely better, and given that I can only guess the V6 Diesel Velar must be amazing. I can't comment on performance as the engine is too new and being handled carefully. So far, it has done all that has been asked effortlessly. I know it won't be a rocket, but it certainly doesn't feel like a touch. I haven't tried dynamic mode just yet.

It's early days for proper MPG figures, but the first tank saw me do just shy of 40MPG. But that included the car being sat at the dealers with the engine running for over 2 hours on the forecourt, whilst an In-Control issue was resolved for the Spotify/ iPhone connection and set up.

The tech on the Jag was not always the best in terms of it working every time it was asked. The Velar, aside from the initial set up issue when collecting the car, has not missed a beat and everything just works, and smoothly. You do have to be very precise with where you press the steering wheel buttons to get them to work. Both the Jag & the F-Pace do share the same confusion as to whether it is my iPhone or iPod that should play Spotify over USB! :roll:

For me... so far... The F-Pace was a lovely car to own and drive many miles in... the Velar though... it seems to be in a different league for a car that shares so many of the same "bits" as its counterpart.

As I mentioned, it's early days, and I may post again after a using the car a little more. So far it's been a case of 500 miles covered in 4 days and I have loved every one of them so far. :D

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yet another great write and really good to hear the positives about the car, I'm especially glad to hear that the ride was so good on the springs. I hankered for air but couldn't afford the engine upgrade, which I didn't really feel necessary as I'm not after lightening performance of any sort. I also found the air a little to wallowing.

I'm also pleased to hear how much better you feel it is over the F-Pace, as the mother in law has just ordered one :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DRP said:
Good afternoon,

The forum has been a great source of info and enjoyment whilst I waited for my new car to arrive.

The story so far.....

I have previously been an X5 driver in the main for over a decade until September 2016 that is. That is when I bought an F-Pace 2.0L Diesel AWD R-Sport. Within a week, and after several visits to my local dealer, I rang JLR customer services and the supplying dealer, and told them of the issues I was having. To their absolute credit, after a very quick investigation they responded with several options. One of these was for the car to be replaced by them. Given a 9 week build time, they left me to use the car I was returning and in January of this year i collected the new F-Pace... Same derivative, but slightly different specification.

The same Jaguar/ LR dealer contacted me when the Velar was announced. I paid a no obligation refundable deposit and waited for more details on the car. I did not want the car until Sept/ Oct 2017. In late August, I confirmed my spec for a D180 S and was given a build date of the 15/9/17, with a handover booked in for around the 1/10/17.

On the 15/9/17, the dealer got in touch to tell me the car wasn't going to start being built that day! :eek: :eek:
The car was actually finished and being shipped into the dealers. They would have it by the 20th. :D
I collected it on the 22/9/17. I guess having been placed in the build slot queue early, it was a simple case of the dealer moving the slot, until the appropriate date to get the car built arrived. The dealer also mentioned they thought the factory was ahead of schedule.

Although I live in the Midlands, Taggarts of Motherwell supplied both of the F-Paces and the new Velar. My justification for a 600 mile round trip for the 3rd time to fetch a car? Their complete support and assistance in getting me out of the first F-Pace and into the 2nd. between them and JLR I could hot have asked for better service with the Jaguar. So I elected to buy the Velar from them too.

Early observations of the car.... the 2nd F-Pace was very good. However the Velar has been a revelation so far. Quiet. incredibly comfortable, and most surprising of all, the engine is incredibly refined. The F-Pace version now feels very crude by comparison. Yes it is a sharper handling car (I had mine on 20" wheels) , but the way the Velar (on steel coils with 19" alloys) rides and drives is just astounding. I wish I had bought the 20" wheels I originally chose. It is s shame that dealers were not given D180 demonstrators. I could only find D240's with air suspension all running on fat wheels!
So with some of the concerns that I had read about with steel coils and with the F-Pace being very firm on 20's, it made me decide to stay with 19" wheels.
The engine is the same in both vehicles, but again, sat behind the wheel of each, the Velar feels so much quieter, smoother and better balanced. When I came out of many years of driving a V6 diesel BMW into 4 cylinder Jaguar diesel, the difference was very notable, but I got used to it. I have the same feeling of difference now, but for the positive. The Velar 4 cylinder diesel is infinitely better, and given that I can only guess the V6 Diesel Velar must be amazing. I can't comment on performance as the engine is too new and being handled carefully. So far, it has done all that has been asked effortlessly. I know it won't be a rocket, but it certainly doesn't feel like a slouch. I haven't tried dynamic mode just yet.

It's early days for proper MPG figures, but the first tank saw me do just shy of 40MPG. But that included the car being sat at the dealers with the engine running for over 2 hours on the forecourt, whilst an In-Control issue was resolved for the Spotify/ iPhone connection and set up.

The tech on the Jag was not always the best in terms of it working every time it was asked. The Velar, aside from the initial set up issue when collecting the car, has not missed a beat and everything just works, and smoothly. You do have to be very precise with where you press the steering wheel buttons to get them to work. Both the Jag & the F-Pace do share the same confusion as to whether it is my iPhone or iPod that should play Spotify over USB! :roll:

For me... so far... The F-Pace was a lovely car to own and drive many miles in... the Velar though... it seems to be in a different league for a car that shares so many of the same "bits" as its counterpart.

As I mentioned, it's early days, and I may post again after a using the car a little more. So far it's been a case of 500 miles covered in 4 days and I have loved every one of them so far. :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
Great write up which I enjoyed with a little espresso whilst remote starting my new Velar - Thanks for the morning read @DRP

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As promised, here is a follow up some 3 weeks into ownership.

There are a few niggles:

-The Speed limit warning (flashing speed limit circle) connected to the TSR keeps setting itself to off when the engine is turned off. I have to turn the warning program on in the menu every time I start the car!

-The heated sets turn off after 20 minutes and will not come back on unless the car is stopped, engine turned off and car locked. Upon a restart the seats will come back on if the on button is pressed.

-The advance and back button on the steering wheel only lets me jump 2 radio stations on forward and 3 on back. This is despite having several favourites allocated. On the F-Pace it scrolled through each favourite station saved on a press of the respective button. It works fine with the iPod over USB and allows me to access every track on an album/ playlist etc.

-The steering wheel is slightly off centre, something I only spotted a few days into ownership. Not a a massive issue as it is a quick fix.

-The Navigation system has tried to take me off at a motorway junction, only to tell me to re-join at the same junction! That's not a problem when i know where I am going for most of the journey. Not so good in areas that I am unfamiliar with!

Fuel consumption is better than the F-Pace. Ignoring the first fill up post collection, due to the engine needing to be run on the dealer forecourt for a considerable length of time, the car averaged an indicated 47.1mpg, which turned out to be 43.7 in reality.
The next fill was 42.9 indicated and 40.47 real world.
Both of these are a mix of motorway, A roads, B roads and town driving, all in normal drive mode and not ECO.

The 4th fill up awaits... the average MPG on the current tank just now is 50.1mpg indicated, with 332 miles covered and a range of 216 miles yet to go. Obviously the trip computer is not that accurate as to achieve the 50mpg it is telling me i am, it should cover 650 miles on a tankful and not the 558 miles is it showing.

I travelled into central London on Tuesday this week. I stuck to speed limits throughout, and where possible used cruise control.

I broke the journey on the way out, and:
1 hour 26 minutes of driving on the M1,
saw an average speed of 63mph,
covering 86.6miles
at an indicated 52.2mpg.
The worst part of the leg, in terms of figures was Luton services into Central London. 13 miles, 17mph average, 52 minutes but still an 39.1 indicated mpg.

The return journey was non stop. Traffic was horrible in London itself and the M1 north was stop start through to just before Luton. Thereafter it was a clear run. The journey recorded was:
2hrs 49 minutes
average speed of 47mph (due to traffic),
covered 124.8 miles....
MPG 55.2!
In reality that will probably equate to circa 50mpg. That is with an engine that will still be tight.

The car has proved exceptionally comfortable and refined and I had to smile at people ignoring parked supercars around mine in London, and stopping to double take the Velar.

Not sure if any of the will help prospective purchases but so far the 180 on steel coils, with 19" wheels has been an excellent drive all round. :D :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts