Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening All

Not been a good day today.

I have been told my 2018 Velar needs a new engine at a cost of approx £15-20k. I have an extended warranty and thought all would be ok but they have declined it having noticed I had not stuck to the service intervals. So now I’m stuck with a car that’s not drivable and a 20k bill I can’t afford. I have asked what the exact fault with the engine is and have just been told they don’t strip engines down to find out - the just replace the complete unit. That seems ridiculous to me as how do they actually know what the problem is. It might be something that costs a fraction of the new engine.
Also, I’m being told about some know issues with JLR engines and oil dilution leading to bearing failure. Does anyone know about that? Could it affect a 2018 Velar?
thanks
Mark

·
Registered
252 Posts
That is awful. What a price. I genuinely feel the pain.

Are the dealers referring to oil change service intervals or just interim?
If the latter then that sounds lame and lazy.
If you missed those madly long oil change intervals then its a real risk with modern engines. Especially, it appears, the pre-2019 I4 Ingenium.

There is plenty of discussion on this forum and internet about oil changes ;gunge and dilution and the effects on turbos and timing chain/tensioners and general wear.
The tensioners appear to be vulnerable on I4 Ingenium and there was an upgrade in 2019 I think (not sure).
And there is plenty of discussion about how risky these ridiculously long oil change intervals are. Not just JLR.
I have only seen discussions on diesel engines but maybe some things apply to petrol too (albeit less sooty).

Which engine do you have?
The Ingenium I4 and Aj6 (Ford/PSA based) seem to have a different set of 'typical' issues.
When you trawl the Internet a common cause is oil; the general recommendation is to change oil/filter more frequently than the manufacturer suggests.
And the frequency is related to your driving (e.g. lots of short trips versus long motorway journeys).
And that applies to many manufacturers, not just JLR.

But what to do now? Every option is going to be expensive and inconvenient.
I'd be tempted to pay a reputable independent for a diagnosis and opinion.
And then ask their opinion for the cheapest route. (2nd hand engine or block or something else).
But it's all hassle and moving a dead vehicle around is a pain. I assume it's undriveable?

An example link:
Jaguar 2.0 Ingenium Engine Rebuild - Dieselheads - XF, XE, F-Pace

There are dozens of Internet sites and posts on this Forum; have a search.
Sorry you've had this horrible failure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Evening All

Not been a good day today.

I have been told my 2018 Velar needs a new engine at a cost of approx £15-20k. I have an extended warranty and thought all would be ok but they have declined it having noticed I had not stuck to the service intervals. So now I’m stuck with a car that’s not drivable and a 20k bill I can’t afford. I have asked what the exact fault with the engine is and have just been told they don’t strip engines down to find out - the just replace the complete unit. That seems ridiculous to me as how do they actually know what the problem is. It might be something that costs a fraction of the new engine.
Also, I’m being told about some know issues with JLR engines and oil dilution leading to bearing failure. Does anyone know about that? Could it affect a 2018 Velar?
thanks
Mark
Our first Velar 2017 240D suffered from the balance shaft bearing and turbo problem after 7000 miles but it was fixed by the dealer under warranty and the engine went on to do 39000 miles. The early Ingenium engines were very prone to bearing failures and sometimes this problem is still around and is picked up just before the first MOT. Engine failure is a well known problem on the Ingenium engine so try your main dealer for a goodwill gesture.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts