Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Just signed up to the forum for some advice.

I'm looking at leasing a D180 R Dynamic SE.

Looking on the configurator the cars comes with a fairly decent spec.
The only addition I was going to make was the ambient lighting, is this worth adding ?

Also is the Meridian sound system that comes with this model any good ?
I've had Harman Kardon systems in the past in BMWs and Mercedes and they've been ok but nothing out of the ordinary.

Finally what's the D180 engine like is it a gruff diesel or is it fairly smooth and refined ?

Thanks
Jon

·
Registered
126 Posts
jonw said:
Hi All

Just signed up to the forum for some advice.

I'm looking at leasing a D180 R Dynamic SE.

Looking on the configurator the cars comes with a fairly decent spec.
The only addition I was going to make was the ambient lighting, is this worth adding ?

Also is the Meridian sound system that comes with this model any good ?
I've had Harman Kardon systems in the past in BMWs and Mercedes and they've been ok but nothing out of the ordinary.

Finally what's the D180 engine like is it a gruff diesel or is it fairly smooth and refined ?

Thanks
Jon
Hi Jon and welcome,
I have the configurable ambient lighting (came as an extra from a showroom model) and wouldn't say it adds much unless you specifically want a blue or red lit interior!
Meridian system is pretty good and the SE has an upgraded sound system so is better than the standard.
Can't comment on the D180 but have the D240 and whilst its not the quickest off the block it has enough to overtake when needed. People have said previously that the D180 is surprisingly good for a large car and that they didn't see much difference between the two engines when they tried them. They are refined and quiet, definitely not gruffly or grunty! I would personally like more engine sound when accelerating but can see why they have purposely made them quieter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dodge for the info.
Do they come with a standard ambient lighting if you don't spec the configurable one ?
Going to try and have a go in one tomorrow at the dealer.
Had a go in a 250d GLE today and thought the engine in it was too small for the car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
jonw said:
Thanks Dodge for the info.
Do they come with a standard ambient lighting if you don't spec the configurable one ?
Going to try and have a go in one tomorrow at the dealer.
Had a go in a 250d GLE today and thought the engine in it was too small for the car.
Yes all the option does is allow you to change the colour! Also tried the mercs and the GLE definitely needs the 350d engine. The GLC is more comparable size to the Velar and also the new ingenium engine in the land rovers are much more refined than the older bluemotion merc engines. My wife had a 200d A class and it was the slowest thing I had ever driven! Also very loud and not in a good way. Have a go in the velar and you won't look back!

·
Registered
295 Posts
jonw said:
Hi All

Thanks
Jon
here is some good info regarding the D180 engine

https://www.velarforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=294

with a search on this forum you will get some more feedback. according to what I read.(did not have a chance to drive yet...), it seems that the D180 suits main owners who are looking for a confortable thus dynamic car (you can always use sport mode). If you want a really 'sporty' car, then upgrade to the D300 is to be considered. Good luck with your choice.

a bear in mind the D180 only produces 142 gr of Co2/km !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts