Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The story thus far...

Popped in to my local dealer to discuss replacement of my 2014 RRS. Happened to see an R Dynamic D300 Velar, took it for a spin and very impressed. Distinctly made my RRS look and feel a little "old". A week later, took delivery of a Silicon Silver FE D300, AKA The Camelion. The FE is very comprehensively equipped and the only extra option I chose was a Qi wireless charging cupholder which is currently on back order.

So, after 5 days/400 miles of ownership and a mixture of town, motorway, A/B road driving my thoughts are:

Drive: Fun, satisfying, engaging and agile, particularly in Dynamic mode. Very responsive and refined engine/gearbox and predictable steering. Superior to my RRS in many ways.

Handling: Very refined and comfortable in Comfort mode. Dynamic mode tightens everything up, offering nicely controlled behaviour on A/B roads and reassuring stability on motorways. No noticeable issues in ride comfort with the 22" wheels compared to the 21" on my RRS and I live in South London! Brakes are very effective and progressive. Grip feels good and plentiful although I am being gentle on the car at the moment.

Interior/Exterior Design: Superb detailing, oozing originality and quality. Combination of some novel and asthetically pleasing materials which compliment each others. Time will tell how practical and durable these are. The RRS materials were very durable. Very comfortable seating and driving position although I am still experimenting with the 20-way adjustments to find the optimum position! Massage function is so good with a number of different options for different areas of the back. A function to cycle through all all the options would have been great. Limited internal storage for bits and pieces but a huge boot space at the slight expense of rear legroom. Like the Auto Exit Height option when parked up which was missing on the RRS. Steering wheel is a little thin for my liking. Would have preferred more padding in areas where elbows are likely to rest during normal driving. I'm thinking door centres and centre console lids which feel a little hard. RRS was better in this area. Roof blind automatically retracts on engine start up and closes on engine off. Would have preferred a user option to control how the blind operates.

Infotainment/Tech: Again, superb. Very user configurable and a slick, intuitive interface and no lag. Feels similar to my IPad, including the finger marks! The 1600W sound system in the FE is very powerful and versatile and an overall improvement on the 850W setup in the RRS. Notwithstanding, and if 1600W was not standard in the FE and I had to spec the sound system, I would probably opt for the updated 850W setup which now handles broader formats. Streaming is good and tranferring media to the internal hard drive is a doddle and quick. Indexing is good too. Many formats can be played, including FLAC audio (my favourite) to get the best out of the system. Navigation has improved but remains inferior to Waze and Google Maps. Love the HUD which is very configurable, the visual/audible Safety Camera alerts and the highly configurable dash and centre screens. Intensity of the Mood Lightling could be a little higher and user adjustability for brightness and a cycle programme would have been ideal. Resolution of cameras is very sharp even in low light. Touch controls on steering wheel are sensitive and take a little getting used to.

Incontrol Remote/Apps: Remote App has been slightly improved and is a useable application to check car status, security and engage remote start. By comparison, LR Apps is very limited and frankly useless. More popular and usable apps need to be integrated quickly (Waze, GM?) to complement this tech. Otherwise, it's a massively missed opportunity for LR and inferior to the competition. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto would have been ideal. LR need to be more creative in this particular area and have let themselves down when compared to other areas of the car. Someone has gone to sleep at LR. SIM/WIFI Hotspot work well. System prefers Apple over Android devices when using a phone as a media/App device. Bluetooth connectivity is fine across both platforms. USB ports work effectively for charging and media connections. Have not tested the HDMI port yet.

Issues: Day 3 and the reverse camera lens has dislodged from its housing and slipped back in to the tailgate trim. Still operating but is now providing a lovely view of the internal trim panel. Judging from mge.92's post (thanks!), this appears to be a Service Action item. Dealer is installing a complete new unit on Saturday as it cannot be repaired or put back in to position. I do hope this is not a reflection of things to come. The RRS was faultless over 3 years of ownership. Plastic detailing trims on rear bumper and other external areas feel a little flimsy when pressed. Again, time will tell if they are fit for purpose. Internal plastic trim panels on bottom of doors are very easily marred and scratched, similar to the RRS. Would expect better quality and more robust material to be used in these vulnerable areas given the car's price tag. My 25 year old 300ZX has better quality and more durable plastics in the doors!

Summary: Very pleased with the purchase. It feels like an LR but a far, far more modern version when compared to its siblings.

Happy driving!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Fab and detailed review, thank you so much.

I think some of the body trim is lightweight because......... they're trying to keep the weight down! Shame we can't have something that is substantial and resilient but also lightweight too.

Keep us informed, we appreciate it. I know it takes time but there are a lot of us hungry for what you and Velarman have to say.

Regards,

Arianne

·
Registered
727 Posts
Nice write up - I came from a RRS too! The Velar wins hands down for me. NO real issues for me so far. Can you have a play with the settings on the lower screen and set the automatic massage function to come on after 5 mins and see if this works please?

Also on HUD do you get media information and if so what info do you see and which mobile phone are you using? I am using an Iphone 7 Plus and can't see any media info on the HUD.

SO you walked in to a dealership and bought a first edition immediately? How did you manage that as they are all sold out? The ones on autotrader are up at a £10k premium!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Arianne said:
I think some of the body trim is lightweight because......... they're trying to keep the weight down!
Agreed, but the high aluminium content of the chassis serves this purpose. I guess what I meant by my comment was that when you press these different external trims, they just feel like a low quality plastic that creaks a little rather than a more solid, secure fitting/feeling plastic. Need to let the car a settle down a little and for the various trims to find their natural habitat.

VelarMan said:
SO you walked in to a dealership and bought a first edition immediately? How did you manage that as they are all sold out? The ones on autotrader are up at a £10k premium!
Correct. Pure luck in timing as the dealer had been allocated an FE and I was the first person to pop in. A day later and apparently, all the FE's were sold out! Only downside was that I had no choice in colour but I must confess that I do like the Silicon Silver. Very striking and takes on subtle, differing shades depending on lighting conditions and environment. Using a Samsung Galaxy S7 but have also tried the IPhone 6. Will report back on your other points.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Think Norwich Hunters LR still have a cancelled FE order at list price. If i had the cash i would buy and then sell for an extra £10k!

·
Registered
101 Posts
VelarMan said:
Nice write up - I came from a RRS too! The Velar wins hands down for me. NO real issues for me so far. Can you have a play with the settings on the lower screen and set the automatic massage function to come on after 5 mins and see if this works please?
Works in my Velar. @Zilver, the Golf function triggers all individual massage parts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VelarMan said:
Can you have a play with the settings on the lower screen and set the automatic massage function to come on after 5 mins and see if this works please?

Also on HUD do you get media information and if so what info do you see and which mobile phone are you using? I am using an Iphone 7 Plus and can't see any media info on the HUD.
Same issues - https://www.velarforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=231

1 - 11 of 11 Posts