Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just went on to the range rover configurator last night and noticed there isn't much difference in price between my top spec velar and a rr sport the rr sport is bigger so the question is should I trade in my current rr sport for a velar a RR sport or go all out and buy the lwb sv autobioghraphy at an eye watering 198000 pounds with al my options on it any help is appreciated
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
If you're able to see advantages in the RR Spor,t why would you consider the Velar?
The Velar stands for a new design language a size and a series of engines. If you don't see any advantages in these, it's the wrong car for you. More confusing is, you're considering an autobiography. Three totally different cars. What's the point?
Probably you'll need to consider a change of your naming?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
I will tell you that coming from a spectacular 2014 RR Sport Dynamic SCV8, I ordered the Velar HSE P380, and I love it! One of the things I was hesitant on was ordering 22" wheels on the Velar. I don't like a stiff bouncy ride, and the Velar is MORE comfortable than the sport was! despite the Sport having 21" wheels with additional sidewall. In my opinion, the Velar soaks up road imperfections better as well as still delivering a more dynamic ride. Don't get me wrong, the Sport is fantastic, but in those long sweeping highway/mountain curves I always felt I was going to fall out the window.... vs the Velar just holds the line much more confidently. It has a great turn in and like I said, overall not only feels more 'sporty' than the sport, it also is more overall comfortable. I don't find the Velar too be much smaller, certainly not in the cargo space, seems actually larger back there. The velar has a bit more interior storage than the Sport did too. THe ambient lighting is better in the Velar, which adds to the interior. And then there is the interior... the Velar, when specs as an HSE with extended leather, has MORE leather than the Sport Autobiography does. I do find the Velar interior to be trimmed better.

There are however a couple things I do miss about the sport:
-the ride height. Theres no beating that stadium Range Rover seating. THe velar is by no means low like Q3 or X3, and has a great viewing deck out the front window, but does not have that height to it that the other two bigger brothers have.
-the excitement. I had a feeling this would happen that going from a V8 to a V6 would impact drivers excitement but I wasn't ready for how much it actually did. So much so, that I'm seriously considering a SVR replacement or moving back to another V8 vehicle. JLR could have increased the excitement level in the Velar. Hard to put your finger on exactly what that means but I guess for me they made the exhaust on the Velar so in-exciting. SOunds like a basic Corolla on the inside and outside. Really dull exhaust. JLR can get such great sounds from this engine, but they missed the mark on the Velar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
van604 said:
I will tell you that coming from a spectacular 2014 RR Sport Dynamic SCV8, I ordered the Velar HSE P380, and I love it! One of the things I was hesitant on was ordering 22" wheels on the Velar. I don't like a stiff bouncy ride, and the Velar is MORE comfortable than the sport was! despite the Sport having 21" wheels with additional sidewall. In my opinion, the Velar soaks up road imperfections better as well as still delivering a more dynamic ride. Don't get me wrong, the Sport is fantastic, but in those long sweeping highway/mountain curves I always felt I was going to fall out the window.... vs the Velar just holds the line much more confidently. It has a great turn in and like I said, overall not only feels more 'sporty' than the sport, it also is more overall comfortable. I don't find the Velar too be much smaller, certainly not in the cargo space, seems actually larger back there. The velar has a bit more interior storage than the Sport did too. THe ambient lighting is better in the Velar, which adds to the interior. And then there is the interior... the Velar, when specs as an HSE with extended leather, has MORE leather than the Sport Autobiography does. I do find the Velar interior to be trimmed better.

There are however a couple things I do miss about the sport:
-the ride height. Theres no beating that stadium Range Rover seating. THe velar is by no means low like Q3 or X3, and has a great viewing deck out the front window, but does not have that height to it that the other two bigger brothers have.
-the excitement. I had a feeling this would happen that going from a V8 to a V6 would impact drivers excitement but I wasn't ready for how much it actually did. So much so, that I'm seriously considering a SVR replacement or moving back to another V8 vehicle. JLR could have increased the excitement level in the Velar. Hard to put your finger on exactly what that means but I guess for me they made the exhaust on the Velar so in-exciting. SOunds like a basic Corolla on the inside and outside. Really dull exhaust. JLR can get such great sounds from this engine, but they missed the mark on the Velar.
Regarding the second half of your post -- I agree 100%. And I ended up ordering an SVR that I won't get until June. I also hate the sound of the V6 in my Velar and LR could have done something better here. I know they don't present the Velar as "sporty" like a Macan but it actually is sporty to drive and why not entertain the senses when you push it hard? On paper, I thought since the P380 was the same engine that LR offers in a Sport HSE Dynamic so it must be great in the Velar. Well I wouldn't buy a Sport with it either. For me it's not that it's because it's so awful but more about when you've experienced the V8's you realize the differences. The gas mileage isn't even much better with the V6 (compared to my 5.0 V8 in my 2010 Sport) because of the way I drive. As I've said in other threads I do think the Velar looks better than the basic Sport but the SVR has that amazing front and rear end and I like the squared off upright look as well. Bigger windows and height, etc.

I test drove a 2017 SVR and within seconds I was like "I'm buying this". It's amazing. And the sound is unreal. I played with turning the active exhaust into quiet mode to compare and it's nice to have that option when you want that. I figure this might be my last combustion engine before going electric so why not go out in style. End of an era.

Anyway, LR ultimately gives us a lot to choose from and it's a matter of deciding what our needs and wants are and how much we want to pay to satisfy those. If that makes sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Hi Guys,

Weird you should say that about the P380 engine - I thought the D300 sounded more sporty than I was expecting it to !! But its not going to win any awards thats for sure. Then again as you can see by the next paragraph I like quieter.

Also with regards to the Range Rover Sport SVR (or any SVR/R vehicle) - I personally couldn't hack that exhaust noise to live with the vehicle. If I could have it as a second car that would be amazing but then as a second car I'd probably have an F-Type or something (in my dream world where I have multiple cars). Try and get an extended test drive in one and take them on a motorway - accelerating even in quiet mode and you've annoyed anyone you might be on a bluetooth call to. They're lovely for a long weekend or even a few months over summer but they lose their charm. If you have a quieter run around for daytime/motorway/quiet-time use then that solves 95% of the issues I have with SVR/R cars.

Also and this is purely by the by as I do love the RRS SVR - its not really what a Range Rover Sport or Range Rover is about in my personal opinion. I'm probably one of the only weird ones that would rather a 5 litre Supercharged normal Autobiography RRS rather than an SVR model but I'm told financially that would be suicide as they sell about 2 of them a year in the UK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Your points are totally fair. I can see wanting smoothness, quiet and comfort for a "daily driver". I loved my old Sport for some of those qualities. It was such a pleasure to drive and didn't have a throaty exhaust sound. I liked how it felt so confident and sure due to the weight, and it handled bumpy roads with ease. And the seats were the best I'd ever had. Kept it for 7 years!

I used to think performance SUV's were absurd and probably mocked the X5M or Cayenne by saying "why not just get a sports car if that's what you want"... But over time I guess I've changed my mind. Powerful engines and acceleration is a slippery slope. I started with a V8 Audi S4, then S5, and then the RR Sport (which was slower but still great). And although Land Rovers are engineered to go offroad I don't take advantage of that (like most owners). I'm a suburban dad who puts bikes and sports equipment in the back, drives on city streets and highways. I do get a lot of alone driving time too. But what's wrong with having F-Type SVR performance in a bigger SUV? For me a low to the ground sports car like a 911 or F-Type isn't practical and sort of annoying to get in and out of constantly. We also have an Audi SQ5 and it is a blast to drive and is a great value for money. It sounds amazing too. It puts the P380 to shame with less hp.

Of all the absurdly fast SUV's I like the SVR the most because it's more stealthy in the looks department than the others and I'm not a "look at me" sort of person. I love the overall design, the sum of the parts. Maybe the deep rumble and growl of the engine will get tiring eventually. Time will tell! LOL. But my gut tells me no for a couple reasons -- some guys on the Sport forum are upgrading to their second SVR already, and I don't hear about too many Porsche 911 or F-type owners hating their cars because of the noise. Anyway as I was saying earlier I might be going electric after this and want to experience this kind of engine as their years are probably numbered.

DangerMouseUK said:
Hi Guys,

Weird you should say that about the P380 engine - I thought the D300 sounded more sporty than I was expecting it to !! But its not going to win any awards thats for sure. Then again as you can see by the next paragraph I like quieter.

Also with regards to the Range Rover Sport SVR (or any SVR/R vehicle) - I personally couldn't hack that exhaust noise to live with the vehicle. If I could have it as a second car that would be amazing but then as a second car I'd probably have an F-Type or something (in my dream world where I have multiple cars). Try and get an extended test drive in one and take them on a motorway - accelerating even in quiet mode and you've annoyed anyone you might be on a bluetooth call to. They're lovely for a long weekend or even a few months over summer but they lose their charm. If you have a quieter run around for daytime/motorway/quiet-time use then that solves 95% of the issues I have with SVR/R cars.

Also and this is purely by the by as I do love the RRS SVR - its not really what a Range Rover Sport or Range Rover is about in my personal opinion. I'm probably one of the only weird ones that would rather a 5 litre Supercharged normal Autobiography RRS rather than an SVR model but I'm told financially that would be suicide as they sell about 2 of them a year in the UK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
DangerMouseUK said:
Hi Guys,

Weird you should say that about the P380 engine - I thought the D300 sounded more sporty than I was expecting it to !! But its not going to win any awards thats for sure. Then again as you can see by the next paragraph I like quieter.

Also with regards to the Range Rover Sport SVR (or any SVR/R vehicle) - I personally couldn't hack that exhaust noise to live with the vehicle. If I could have it as a second car that would be amazing but then as a second car I'd probably have an F-Type or something (in my dream world where I have multiple cars). Try and get an extended test drive in one and take them on a motorway - accelerating even in quiet mode and you've annoyed anyone you might be on a bluetooth call to. They're lovely for a long weekend or even a few months over summer but they lose their charm. If you have a quieter run around for daytime/motorway/quiet-time use then that solves 95% of the issues I have with SVR/R cars.

Also and this is purely by the by as I do love the RRS SVR - its not really what a Range Rover Sport or Range Rover is about in my personal opinion. I'm probably one of the only weird ones that would rather a 5 litre Supercharged normal Autobiography RRS rather than an SVR model but I'm told financially that would be suicide as they sell about 2 of them a year in the UK.
A bit off topic but a simple muffler delete should help if you get the D300. P380 should sound better than it already does with a simple exhaust mod.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
after careful thinking I have decided to keep my order for my velar and use it as an extra car and buy a range rover lwb sv autobiography not sure about used or new though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
andrewhargreaves said:
Your points are totally fair. I can see wanting smoothness, quiet and comfort for a "daily driver". I loved my old Sport for some of those qualities. It was such a pleasure to drive and didn't have a throaty exhaust sound. I liked how it felt so confident and sure due to the weight, and it handled bumpy roads with ease. And the seats were the best I'd ever had. Kept it for 7 years!

I used to think performance SUV's were absurd and probably mocked the X5M or Cayenne by saying "why not just get a sports car if that's what you want"... But over time I guess I've changed my mind. Powerful engines and acceleration is a slippery slope. I started with a V8 Audi S4, then S5, and then the RR Sport (which was slower but still great). And although Land Rovers are engineered to go offroad I don't take advantage of that (like most owners). I'm a suburban dad who puts bikes and sports equipment in the back, drives on city streets and highways. I do get a lot of alone driving time too. But what's wrong with having F-Type SVR performance in a bigger SUV? For me a low to the ground sports car like a 911 or F-Type isn't practical and sort of annoying to get in and out of constantly. We also have an Audi SQ5 and it is a blast to drive and is a great value for money. It sounds amazing too. It puts the P380 to shame with less hp.

Of all the absurdly fast SUV's I like the SVR the most because it's more stealthy in the looks department than the others and I'm not a "look at me" sort of person. I love the overall design, the sum of the parts. Maybe the deep rumble and growl of the engine will get tiring eventually. Time will tell! LOL. But my gut tells me no for a couple reasons -- some guys on the Sport forum are upgrading to their second SVR already, and I don't hear about too many Porsche 911 or F-type owners hating their cars because of the noise. Anyway as I was saying earlier I might be going electric after this and want to experience this kind of engine as their years are probably numbered.
Hey bro if you need to get it out of your system I totally here you and if you've got the money and you like the product, then why not?

The fast SUV thing has grown on me over the years, I didn't take to it for the same reasons as you initially and I do like the idea of a big fast engined SUV, I've had an RR and an RRS with the SDV8 engine in it and apart from being a little bit rumbly that engine suited the cars really well. I tried an RRS with the 3litre v6 - same engine as the P380 I think and it didn't really suit the RRS - I've heard its really good in the Velar though.

The RRS SVR is a bit of a miss for me personally, the things that make it a Range Rover are missing for me, comfortable seats, quiet and peaceful ride, very compliant suspension - having said that I have a friend who has one and he absolutely adores it. I do know another guy who really didn't get on with it and traded it for a full size SDV8 Range Rover.

Long test rides in LR vehicles is always a good idea in my mind even though dealers don't want to give them :)
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top