Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ahem...cheaper than Velar eg P300 HSE comes at 62k

What's the release date on this - I might be switching order to get the additional space!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tough decision for me. Have a P380 due in December. To get something close to my config in new RRS is $10k more and it's a slower vehicle. But it does give me the option to add 3rd row for $2k. The electronics had pushed my over the hump to the Velar previously but now having second thoughts. I had liked the fact that the Velar had a more car-like ride compared to the RRS, but maybe another test drive is in order.

·
Registered
201 Posts
fanofvelar said:
Tough decision for me. Have a P380 due in December. To get something close to my config in new RRS is $10k more and it's a slower vehicle. But it does give me the option to add 3rd row for $2k. The electronics had pushed my over the hump to the Velar previously but now having second thoughts. I had liked the fact that the Velar had a more car-like ride compared to the RRS, but maybe another test drive is in order.
It looks like better value for money than the velar tbh, my onmy concern is depreciation as the new RRs will get a new model in 2020 and Velar should be later than that, any views?

·
Registered
201 Posts
For me launching the same technology on the RRS and the Velar takes some appeal out of the Velar - an amazing feature on it was the cutting edge tecchnology, this change came way to soon into velar's life imho

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yes but how can they continue to market lower grade technology in what is supposed to be a car sitting higher up in the food chain? The full fat range rover should follow with this tech very soon as it's strange they did not announce these updates for that...could be an all new model on the way for that one - hope whatever it is does not make a Velar look outdated :lol:

·
Registered
112 Posts
The improvements are definitely nice. Front looks much better. The Velar style rear bumper treatment looks a bit odd on the Sport but the old rear bumper was horrendous so it's an improvement. But for me, overall the L494 never really got me excited compared to my old 2010 Sport and I still don't look at it and think "that's the vehicle for me". I think the next generation sport is going to be incredible but won't be here until 2021 or 22 I'm guessing. I leased my Velar and happy to have it for a few years and then get the next Sport.

I think if you want an actual "SUV" the Sport is a better choice -- higher driving position, more back seat and cargo space, better for offroading and camping, etc. Especially if you have more than one small child. The Velar to me is the "Range Rover of cars" and feels more like a car to me and not a true SUV. But that's not a bad thing, the handling is amazing and at times it feels like a sports car and I love it. Plus it's gorgeous and the design is cool as hell. I looked at photos of my Velar and the new sport side by side and I really do prefer the Velar's styling. It's a fresh cohesive design whereas the updated Sport is a mid life refresh of an old design and you can see the age in the legacy parts. 2 of my previous cars were the Audi S4 and the S5 and this Velar reminds me of why I loved my S5 so much. It's really that good and I love this even more. With the same P380 engine in the Sport it's 1.5 seconds slower 0-60 and the supercharged V8 is only 0.3 seconds faster 0-60. Not that 0-60 times are that important but it does indicate the quickness and agility if you like that (which I do). The SVR is incredible but for me another $40k for the spec I'd get. The Velar is a really nice package and now I see how it fits into the LR lineup.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Velar much better looking but rrs is looking better value for money. It's only a little bit more cash but has much more space, better seats, far superior off-road, just as good tech now.....

My budget is around 60k but going for lease or maybe pcp. All will depend on depreciation and what the base sport looks like. Much more palatable than the base velar for sure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Jpvelar said:
Velar much better looking but rrs is looking better value for money. It's only a little bit more cash but has much more space, better seats, far superior off-road, just as good tech now.....

My budget is around 60k but going for lease or maybe pcp. All will depend on depreciation and what the base sport looks like. Much more palatable than the base velar for sure.
The Velar has much better seats than the Sport. The Velar seats are sporty and supportive, and with better knee support. The angle of the seats are much more aggressive also.

Space? I've had two Sports. The Velar has the same cabin space, but larger in the booth.

Far superior off-road? Maybe. but I don't go off-road.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Very different vehicles imo. The Velar is sportier, more modern, more svelte, and designed for the city. It's like a grown up, premium Evoque.

The Sport is taller, more rugged, and more utilitarian. It's less "cool" and less sporty. It does have a more 'expensive' vibe though.

The new Sport looks a lot better and I'm glad to see the new tech roll out across the line quickly....more reason to quickly improve it. I'm happy with my Velar though. It's way cooler for the time being.

·
Registered
112 Posts
So I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything here, just adding to the conversation! I was curious myself so I configured an HSE Dynamic with the P380 engine and every option that came with my First Edition Velar. My Velar came out to $91k and the new Sport, again with identical options, came to $96,295. Roughly 5k which is not much at all and wouldn't be an issue for me -- but is the perceived "better value" due to the fact that it's bigger? It's a little more sheet metal and space when it comes down to it. And for those that go wading and off roading it has the edge. I guess my opinion is that the Velar isn't bad value or anything, it's just smaller. So I think they're both great options and it comes down to personal preferences and what people want from a vehicle. I've heard people say that the Velar is "overpriced" simply because it's smaller and I disagree with that notion. A Chevy Tahoe compared to a Porsche Macan would be an extreme illustration of size versus quality/cost.

(Edit: Driving the FE Velar vs the Sport configured above is definitely more sports car like (5.3 secs 0-60 versus 6.8 in the Sport) and gives them a different personality.)

Jpvelar said:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts