Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Im new to the forum and have been reading through lots of posts which has already been so helpful do thank you.

I have ordered an R-dynamic S D180 and it is going for build on the 18/11/2017 and is due late November early December but ive insisted I pick it up on Christmas Eve as I am away till the 22nd.

Anyway I have a few questions that hopefully someone will be able to answer as i have 3 more days before I cannot change my spec any further-

1. Will I be able to use the Iphone app to remote start the engine (I have not selected any options to do with this) and has anybody tried using the apple watch to use the remote features?
2. If I select the "remove badge" option does that remove the model badge on the rear of the car? My understanding is that it will just show the word "Velar" and not the model, is that correct?
3. Ive ordered the 20" black gloss wheels and the main colour of the car is fuji white with the black pack added (black and white theme) has anyone got these and do you feel they are big enough?
4. Lastly what are peoples opinion of the whole handover process and did you get the keys in a presentation box or just handed over like normal?

Sorry for writing an essay!
Cheers

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hello and welcome,

I think all of the cars come with the option of remote starting etc. via the remote app. Check with the dealer.

I believe it is just the engine designation and trim level that is removed if you select this option. If you are unsure, just ask your dealer to do it for you. That's what my dealer did as I left it too late and kept changing my mind. There is absolutely no mark where the badge was positioned before the dealer removed it for me as part of the PDI.

The handover process can go on for hours if that's what you want and need. The Velar is a complex car and it takes time for the dealer to explain everything to you. I didn't want all that. I just wanted the keys, a quick chat and then we all wanted to start our day trip to Pitlochry! But then I had swatted up on the car beforehand anyway having read the online manual and owned an F-Pace beforehand - there are lots of similarities.

We received the special keyrings in the presentation box, a bouquet of flowers, a branded Land Rover unmbrella, plenty of tea & coffee and our Sales Excec was lovely, as was the Sales Manager and a few of the other dealership staff who took time out to shake hands and chat with us - that's what life is like in the Scottish Borders. It's a bit old fashioned but lovely too!

Our dealer also threw in a free service pack and a few other elements but these are because of the legacy of the F-Pace experience and so most dealers won't be offering this on routine Velar Sales.

As for your gloss black 20" rims - don't know but others can help you.

Regards,

Arianne

·
Registered
25 Posts
Morning.

I have a D180s and had the badge removed at factory build stage. This left just the Velar badge on the back.

The app is standard I believe and yes I can remote start it from my phone.

The handover can take an age. I downloaded the iGUIDE app and flicked through this before collecting the car. It gave me a heads up before getting in the vehicle of settings etc which sped up the process. The only downside for me was an issue getting my iPhone to work over USB. A couple of hours later and it was fixed and I was on my way.

The key fobs were in a box and there were 2 types to choose from.

I chose 19" wheels as I was worried about the ride on 20's on steel coils. Having come out of an F-Pace on 20's I did not want the ride to be as firm as it was in the Jag. Personal opinion now after 1500 Miles is the 20's would have been fine and I was over cautious picking 19" wheels. That said the car looks and rides beautifully on 19's and should look even better on 20's.

Good luck and I hope you can be more patient than I was waiting for mine, albeit it did come through some 2 weeks earlier than anticipated/ expected.

D.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi,

I did not know one could start the car remotely only with the remote app. I thought one should have purchased the climate control option to do so. I do have the standard remote app and don not have the aircon / heating page ...

@danger : if you want to see the black 20'' rims in the flesh, here you go (link below). hence I do not have balck pack and the Velar is corris. but it's a D180 RS, so quite close to yours:

https://www.velarforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=434

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your replies guys you have answered everything that I have been hunting around on the internet for ages. Not even the dealers I called could confirm the who remote start issue!

@Arianne I have now changed the spec accordingly and added the no badge option and I am looking forward to using the app for the remote start haha it's so handy in the winter! I was hoping I would get good treatment as I got an F Type from then but not counting on it!

@DRP Thanks for confirming the remote start can be used as above not even the dealers knew exactly what the deal was with it and I rang about 4 in total.

@Ludo Cheers for the photos of your rims they look great and I have also added them to the spec now, I was going to spend over 3k on 23"rims from Urban Automotive but I think I am happy with the 20's. Have you tried the remote start yet then?

So since your comments, I have added the wheels and remove bade option plus the sliding sunroof to the spec and now the dealer has said I cannot make any more changes or it will push the delivery date past Christmas so that's me done.

Have you guys got any additional security added to the car?, I am going to put a tracker, steering wheel lock (apparently a big deterrent? but worth the hassle and I'm thinking of a good alarm that can disable the engine separate to the land rover system as Keyless entry thefts a really bad at the moment and happening a lot in my area.

With the handover I just like the freebies you get and love when you get things presented in boxes, I like to normally get home and play with all the toys myself.

·
Registered
558 Posts
So....... I can start my d180 r-dynamic s remotely from my phone as a standard feature?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Joe said:
I can't imagine you can start the car remotely.
I'm pretty sure it can be done as it's standard on my jaguar xe that is 2 years old

·
Registered
153 Posts
If the remote app is anything like they had on the bmw I believe it will only be cool air that can be circulated as hot air will require the engine to be turned on. Which according to bmw wasn't available in the UK. I suspect it will be same here. Plus the usual horn and lights to help fund the car and unlock/lock etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I haven't tried it on the Velar yet, but the same set up on the F-Pace and remote start from my phone started the car. In winter if the temp was below 4c the front and rear screen heaters also came on automatically as did the heated seats. You set the temp you want inside the car from the app.

In summer it cooled the car. Either which way it got the internal temp to that chosen on the app.

The standard security system on the F-Pace would cut the engine in the event the car was entered without using the key to unlock it. That included a broken window apparently.

I can't imagine the velar will be any different. Will have to wait for the first frosty morning to see!

D.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can anybody who has this and knows it works for them upload a video of it working to settle this once and for all haha? And which model you have.

A few people have confirmed it works for them already so im pretty sure its real 😀

·
Registered
153 Posts
DRP said:
I haven't tried it on the Velar yet, but the same set up on the F-Pace and remote start from my phone started the car. In winter if the temp was below 4c the front and rear screen heaters also came on automatically as did the heated seats. You set the temp you want inside the car from the app.

In summer it cooled the car. Either which way it got the internal temp to that chosen on the app.

The standard security system on the F-Pace would cut the engine in the event the car was entered without using the key to unlock it. That included a broken window apparently.

I can't imagine the velar will be any different. Will have to wait for the first frosty morning to see!

D.
That actually is impressive. How cool is it when you find a feature you didn't know about.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I think you mentioned the Apple Watch too - yes the car can be started and temperature set via the watch 😊

You'll be required to set up a PIn as part of the service but it works really well.

Obviously the option to do the above is also on the JLR remote app as well.

As for additional security - the remote app also tracks your journeys and where your car is at any given time and it seems pretty solid with the accuracy so not sure you want or need a tracker as such?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@mrgandfriends.co.uk you are a ledgend my friend, I been waiting for someone to confirm this so thank you.

It's good that you mentioned the basic tracking it has built in, I think I can then invest in other security like a better alarm and steering wheel lock and leave the tracker

·
Registered
38 Posts
I ordered mine without badges and it arrived with them all on! The dealership took them off for me. I got them to remove all of the rear badges including Velar, model and the green landrover badge. I will upload a pic.

Keys came in presentation box. Also got a teddy bear and an umbrella.

Yes you can start the car remotely.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cheers mate, loving the colour combo you have gone for, which model/engine did you get?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts