Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

When I start my car from cold, the engine revs and idles at approx 1500 rpm and stays there for about 20/30secs before dropping down to about 800rpm.

Not a biggie but was wondering if any other owner of a P400 (not the P400e) has the same behaviour? Spoke to the dealer and their response was it's normal because it cold and it's like having the choke on. I mentioned that it was a fuel injected engine and not at all like engines of 40+ years ago, but dealer insists it's normal. I haven't been able to compare to any other P400 hence my question.

I'm not convinced it's correct behaviour but would be interested to know if anyone else's has the same behaviour.

When starting the engine when already warm (e.g. after a short stop etc), it's fine and idles immediately at approx 800 rpm.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sorry, can't help on P400 but my P300 was exactly the same.
Dealer probably didn't realise that you're an experienced driver but a cold ICE injection will richen up the mixture for a cold start which is what an old-fashioned choke control did.
The cold start routine will likely be similar for both engine sizes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dealer probably didn't realise that you're an experienced driver but a cold ICE injection will richen up the mixture for a cold start which is what an old-fashioned choke control did.
I appreciate the feedback Fenton. I guess it probably is then normal behaviour these engines.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the feedback Fenton. I guess it probably is then normal behaviour these engines.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a P400 and mine is exactly the same.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
82 Posts
My P400e does exactly the same. Being a hybrid, the engine can start suddenly from cold mid journey and it can take you by surprise. Once warmed up and idling at 800rpm its very smooth.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My P400 does the same but does it all the time even in Summer
I only picked mine up at the end of Nov. Weather has been mild until now but Yes.....even mine did it when I picked it up and it wasn't exactly cold (at least not by London standards!). I guess it's just a characteristic of the engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts