Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any other P400e lost selection of EV mode despite having loads of range ? I have had a few 'issues' since collection 5 weeks ago. Almost all have been resolved - the car had a general update last week and an EV module update yesterday. I now have access to EV except after going into Sport. When in Sport EV is disabled, but in my case, when I go back into Drive, EV is then greyed out and remains unavailable until a stop, shut off, open door and a restart.

Has anyone else had this regularly ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, I noticed the same on mine when going into sport mode. Also, on one or two occasions when I have staed the car it has defauted into an engine running mode even when fully charged. This lasts a few minutes, then the engine stops and the EV kicks in agian. I had assumed it was becuase the car, for some reason, needed a period with the engine running - to charge the 12v battery perhaps? My previous hybrid cars all did this as well.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ifoggy - Thanks. It is supposed to go out of EV when Sport is selected but mine doesn't go back to EV when I reselect Drive. It doesn't matter how many times I select EV it remains greyed out, despite having loads of range. Does yours do the same ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't use sport mode but do occasionally select it by mistake, which then turns on the engine and greys out the EV option. Even when sport is then deselected the EV remains unavailable until you stop and turn ignition off and on. Weird.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ifoggy. I'll let my dealer know it is a problem not unique to my car which is what he and I thought. Mine has settled since last weeks specific EV update and EV is available after Sport but only sometimes - so getting there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
As a new Range Rover owner I have come to realise that there are quirks, and this is one of them !

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm trying to understand whether our P400e SE has a fault or whether it is behaving the same as other owners' cars.

We took delivery 2 weeks ago and have found that it switches from EV to Hybrid mode itself, when we have not enabled Sport (S) and still have plenty of battery range to complete the journey we are on. We cannot work out exactly what its criteria are for switching, it seems random.

Further, once the engine has started, whether through the car having switched to Hybrid itself, or by pressing Hybrid on the console, it will not switch back to EV - pressing EV shows EV as selected on the console but EV is greyed out on the dash and the engine continues to run. Even after driving for 10-15 mins the engine never stops, even when stationary.

If we pull over, stop the car and start it again, it will start up in EV mode and will then successfully run until the end of our journey or until the battery is exhausted in EV mode. We bought the car to do mostly short journeys, expecting to do them on battery power so having to regularly pull over is not ideal.

The manual says that PREDICTIVE ENERGY OPTIMISATION may enable Hybrid mode even if a navigation route is not set. It also says:-

The engine may stay on longer than expected under certain conditions. These include:
  • During engine re-learning following vehicle handover or a software update.
  • To help reduce premature ageing of the engine oil.

Therefore our car may be operating as it should but it's not what we expected!

I wondered whether our car's behaviour is consistent with what other P400e owners are experiencing?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Does the car’s heater work without the engine running? Could that be another factor?
l’ve been considering a PHEV for reasons similar to yours. If this is indeed’as designed’, then it does make it a bit pointless.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The car heater will work without the engine in mine, I’ve been sitting in my drive working out pivi pro with no engine and a nice heater on. you have the choice on per conditioning using the battery or the engine if you have one of the 2 apps.

I’m 3 weeks into ownership, have done 317 miles and used a 1/3 of a tank so that shows the general mix, that’s a great mpg if you ask me.

It has been a cold period too, which batteries don’t like, IMO - the car is doing what it is designed to do (without any hard facts to back me up) it won’t use ev going up hills, through hard acceleration and over certain speeds. I’ve personally not bothered to use the ev button. The save button doesn’t seem to do anything, it might be software related, who knows, I just leave it on hybrid and take what it gives me.
All in all it’s a great experience, I’m really happy to get away from diesel noise and turbo lag, I look forward to getting into every time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does the car’s heater work without the engine running? Could that be another factor?
Yes the heater works without the engine running.

I have also been starting the heater from the mobile app 5 mins before we leave and the car is nice and warm when we go out. It draws extra power from the wall charger in this case and we still leave with 100% battery.

I agree with Bathonian that it’s a nippy, smooth drive, we wouldn’t want to go back to Diesel drive experience even aside from the emissions. The EV mode when it is on is so smooth and quiet I’m sure we will go full EV for our next car.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm trying to understand whether our P400e SE has a fault or whether it is behaving the same as other owners' cars.

We took delivery 2 weeks ago and have found that it switches from EV to Hybrid mode itself, when we have not enabled Sport (S) and still have plenty of battery range to complete the journey we are on. We cannot work out exactly what its criteria are for switching, it seems random.

Further, once the engine has started, whether through the car having switched to Hybrid itself, or by pressing Hybrid on the console, it will not switch back to EV - pressing EV shows EV as selected on the console but EV is greyed out on the dash and the engine continues to run. Even after driving for 10-15 mins the engine never stops, even when stationary.

If we pull over, stop the car and start it again, it will start up in EV mode and will then successfully run until the end of our journey or until the battery is exhausted in EV mode. We bought the car to do mostly short journeys, expecting to do them on battery power so having to regularly pull over is not ideal.

The manual says that PREDICTIVE ENERGY OPTIMISATION may enable Hybrid mode even if a navigation route is not set. It also says:-

The engine may stay on longer than expected under certain conditions. These include:

• During engine re-learning following vehicle handover or a software update.
    • To help reduce premature ageing of the engine oil.

Therefore our car may be operating as it should but it's not what we expected!

I wondered whether our car's behaviour is consistent with what other P400e owners are experiencing?
See my original post here and then an update. The dealer did an ‘EV Module’ update and it resolved the issue so the car would go back to EV without having to stop and restart. Since OS3 EV has sometimes been greyed out similar to my original issue - I am hoping it rectifies itself. Recently, I have taken to reselecting EV when the revs are within the blue sector and that works most of the time.

Bathonian - the Save function makes EV unavailable to preserve battery for later use e.g. if you were going to enter a EV only zone (which we don’t have in the UK) or you know you’re going to be in traffic later - M25 on a Friday evening !

·
Registered
112 Posts
I might have an issue then, I know the concept of save but pressed it last week and it continued to stay on the battery. It not a big issue for me, I’m fine with hybrid, it does its thing, most of my miles are battery, I’m happy but I will try it again this week to see its response.

·
Registered
8 Posts
See my original post here and then an update.
Those links don't seem to have worked. I did a search but couldn't find the threads you are referring to.

Thanks very much for the reply and information, it does sound then like our car is not working as it ought to do. It has already had the roadside people out to it once because it wouldn't charge (said ERROR on dash). They updated the software on the "charge controller" which seems to have solved the charging issue. He said that because the production lead times have been so long, completed modules have been "sat on the shelf" for months before going into a car and since they don't get updated before delivery of the complete car, cars are being delivered with quite old software on some modules. It sounds like I should try to get the "EV module" updated, it does make me wonder if it's worth trying to get all the modules updated though I don't know if that could cause new problems!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I might have an issue then, I know the concept of save but pressed it last week and it continued to stay on the battery. It not a big issue for me, I’m fine with hybrid, it does its thing, most of my miles are battery, I’m happy but I will try it again this week to see its response.
If I hit save the EV is definitely unavailable

·
Registered
112 Posts
Tried it today and all working correctly. Save switched off battery. Ev switched off engine. It was a lot warmer today which much mean less system intervention in what is being used.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We had software for several modules updated (I think the charge controller, EV, transmission and something else) by LR and I’m pleased to say the car is now behaving as we would expect. In hybrid mode the engine is coming on and off on its own depending on the power demand rather than staying on constantly as it was before. If we switch from Hybrid mode to EV mode, it will initially be EV in grey but as soon as the engine revs drop (take foot of the gas) the engine stops and EV goes blue. Sounds like there have been a few software bugs to be ironed out.

I still could not get the timed/scheduled climate preconditioning to work for me but that’s not a big issue. It’s a fine car, we’re enjoying driving it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wivenhoe- is there a way of seeing what’s been updated then. I had a software update yesterday when I was driving. I checked this morning and none of the version numbers for the live apps has changed and the main software version is still blank?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Our software updates were installed by a Land Rover technician from the dealership. He came to our house and connected to the car with cable from his laptop.

He said he needed to connect a cable to each individual module in the car so some under the bonnet and some under the boot space, there was no way of connecting to one central place. Apparently there are 30 odd modules in the whole car and they don’t even all require the same cable so software updates sounds like a bit of a nightmare generally. From what he said, the over the air updates are only for the Pivi Pro media/display - it’s not possible for them to remotely update the wider vehicle modules (but that is planned for future production years).

As to your original question, I don’t know but I’ve not see anywhere to see this in the car menus.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wivenhoe- is there a way of seeing what’s been updated then. I had a software update yesterday when I was driving. I checked this morning and none of the version numbers for the live apps has changed and the main software version is still blank?
After receiving the first OTA update my car had the version and date fields completed. It was only on the version 3 update that the screen also detailed what had been updated. Did the screen say the update had been installed or only downloaded. If it had been installed then the date and version should be available - did you have the car plugged in when you arrived home or was it left unconnected ?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As to your original question, I don’t know but I’ve not see anywhere to see this in the car menus.
if you go to the Home Screen, select the right ‘four square’ icon it takes you to the main apps screen, scroll down to the bottom - you’ll see Software, select it and on the right it will say the version and installation date. New cars seem to come with the version and date blank.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts