Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've now picked it up, not as smooth as expected. A bit of a bittersweet experience.

Pros
  • Got the Williams Paint Protection thrown in (it was applied terrible though, I mean that, swirls and streaks everywhere)
Cons
  • I think they threw this in because there is a big scratch on the main screen.... (they didn't tell me I noticed it) they said they will change it but I said I also expect compensation for this as its pathetic that either it passed QC at the factory like this or something has scratched it due to incompetence at the Garage during preparation
  • Some sort of cellophane left on the mid pillar, again, shabby from them

Initial Thoughts

At the moment no faults by the looks of it so counting myself lucky. Iike the car though so far, it looks nice in all black.

In honesty I'm a BMW guy and like the build and ergonomics of the iDrive (for example I feel iDrive is far superior and the HUD on my 8 series is far superior as I can do a lot more than on the Velar equivalent that I have speed) The velar though feels great inside and the cabin feel more luxurious for sure. The D200 engine is nice, it's smooth and quiet and for me has enough pull ( and bear in mind that this is considering I have a BMW 840i (340hp) and before the Velar a BMW X3 M Competition with 510hp!)

Will post some pics when I get a moment

·
Registered
42 Posts
The screens have a clear protection sheet over them so assuming the dealer did it rather than factory ?

Id get the paintwork sorted professionally and agree with the dealer they pay for it otherwise it will bug you in sunlight.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm also thinking I should not have specced the solar attenuating windscreen as the small lines on the screen are pretty annoying.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You may find the small lines are the elements for the front heated screen.
If so, and whilst never as optically good as no wires, you'll get used to it. A little jazzy with oncoming headlights/sunlight but you'll adapt.
And, on a nasty frosty day you'll be relieved to have it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks just realised this!

Another weird thing, I tried to add the cars VIN to my in control account and I'm getting a message saying it has already been registered to someone else?

The dealer was meant to call me to let me know when the new screen etc would arrive but nothing. This is pretty poor so far and making me just want to skittle back to BMW for one of their SUV's

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congrats on the new car, sorry to hear it wasn't the best experience.
In regards to the HUD, maybe check in the instrument cluster menu what is activated on the HUD system. It displays the PIVI mini map, lane departure, cruise, Speed signs, off-road info and track names when they change. Also what I would say is that even though iDrive is always praised for manual interaction, you never find yourself 'exploring' the system, because of the amount of layers and text that BMW decide to show.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I found the HUD in my 530e far better than the one in the Velar. The BMW one is larger, presents the map earlier when approaching a junction etc. and you can scroll through the media using the roller in the steering wheel and select then the track etc. The Velar is a very good resolution but I find I tend to look at the main screen in advance of say a junction as the HUD doesn’t display it until you are almost at the turn. I can’t find a way of setting it to display earlier, especially the lane info.

Initially I thought the Velar system was inferior to the iDrive but once I took the time to understand the structure I found it to be better than ID7. Car critics rave about the ID system (they haven’t tried putting a post code in using the wheel whilst driving !) I think because once you have used it, the structure is virtually the same in each version so you can navigate it fairly easily. It was impossible to load speed cameras into the ID7 Nav (Merc also locked their system from about 2018) so you had to run another application for those - I find the Pivi system much better, not only for the cameras but it displays 3D really well, my BMW didn’t.

I gave up trying to use “Hey Velar” as I found it useless, especially compared to “Hey BMW”, that said, I can get what I want using “Siri”.

The lack of a charge mat is a frustration having had them in previous cars (the BMW even reminded you that you had left the phone on it when you turned the ignition off).

There is a guy on here who sells superb covers for the exposed cup holders - they look like they were an original fitment as they match the piano black so well - details and photos (page 11) in this thread - Cup Holder Cover!

Reactions: daltonvaas

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats on the new car, sorry to hear it wasn't the best experience.
In regards to the HUD, maybe check in the instrument cluster menu what is activated on the HUD system. It displays the PIVI mini map, lane departure, cruise, Speed signs, off-road info and track names when they change. Also what I would say is that even though iDrive is always praised for manual interaction, you never find yourself 'exploring' the system, because of the amount of layers and text that BMW decide to show.
I actually just think drive is easier and more intuitive overall and significantly easier to navigate with the wheel. But each to their own I guess.

The dealer is ok now with regards to resolving issues so I am in a much happier place. They have agreed to re apply the paint protection and the new screen is being fitted this Wednesday. We've not discussed compensation yet so I will ask them once this is all complete. I am happy to leave a positive review if everything is done as they have at least been responsive and helpful inspire of troubles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a guy on here who sells superb covers for the exposed cup holders - they look like they were an original fitment as they match the piano black so well - details and photos (page 11) in this thread - Cup Holder Cover!
Agree with everything re HUD but I still preferred ID7 but again everyone has their own opinions. I liked the wheel even to scroll through music whilst using CarPlay for example! (agree inputting a postcode was annoying but I used to draw this and it worked a charm for me!)

I have already actually purchased this, a fantastic little buy and really improves the ergonomics of the interior mid section!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts