Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My local dealership is relatively new, very large and full of salespeople who've been poached from other dealers in the area.

I would rate my overall experience a solid 0/5 in the areas of product knowledge, sales process and communication.

I'm now getting the impression that they are about to get 0/5 on the handover process as well as my salesperson has gone on holiday and has asked another salesperson (who I've never met) to do the handover with me.

I've asked for a comprehensive inspection and handover and they've given me 30 mins, which i feel is just not enough time.

I would be interested in hearing how long other dealerships usually spend doing the handover process or if anyone has had a similar experience.

Thanks,
FMZ

·
Registered
843 Posts
That sounds like a setup for a very poor experience.

My dealer not only allowed me as much time as I needed for inspection, but they offer a free visit by one of their product experts who will travel to my work, home or another location of my choosing for a full walk through of features at anytime within first two months of ownership.

Assuming you have another option for a dealer, I'd make sure to get some competing offers and make it known to this dealer that they're not the only ones on the block to win your business. At the end of the day, this experience will be indicative of your future servicing experience, so keep that in mind!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hello Fatmanz,
Hopefully the experience with the car will be better than with the dealer.

Do not forget to provide feedback of the P300 on the forum, you are one of the first owner of this config currently.

·
Registered
534 Posts
My handover "walkthrough" was about 10 minutes lol. But honestly, I was greatful because I can't stand sitting at the dealer listening to them talk. I prefer to just explore the car myself on my own time.

Hopefully they'll give you as much time as you want though, they should.

Also congrats on the P300. I wanted it :(

·
Registered
482 Posts
My dealer offered us the choice: quick and simple or comprehensive and up to two hours long! We took the former as I already knew almost everything about the car by reading the huge online manual.

We received flowers, umbrella, key rings and a lovely chat with the dealership team. Happy with that.

They then followed it up with an invitation to attend a new owner clinic if I wanted to have any deeper discussions about the car and the IT systems etc.

We have had our issues due to the noisy front offside wheel but overall our dealer has been attentive and professional throughout. Whether we will clinch an agreement on the remedy for our car which is still in the workshop remains to be seen. But the dealer has been fine.

Arianne

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I guess I'll have to wait and see how it goes down tomorrow - hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I was not aware of post handover sessions at home/work or new owner clinics which both sound like nice touches.

Makes me wonder what else dealers do (or don't do) to differentiate themselves.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Cannot fault my sales guy Robin Angell at Marshall, Cambridge. This is the 4th car I have bought through him and although the occasional corporate bollocks slips through the net he really is spot on, I'd go as far to say he is the most down to earth car sales guy I've dealt with, hence going back, Gives you as little or as much time as you need, handover Saturday and I have been allocated plenty of time.

Shame the same cannot be said for the service teams, who are stuck up pretentious know it alls.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My dealer was very thorough and their tech guy was walking me through every single detail. I actually had to tell them I had to go and I'll check out the manual later. But they offered to spend as much time as I wanted. Of course they always say that they would appreciate a 10 out of 10 rating when Land Rover does the satisfaction survey because "anything less is a fail". Ironically Land Rover has not ever given me the survey after purchasing two Range Rovers now. Audi always did.

The salesman was super cool and gave me a nice black Land Rover jacket. They should give you something if you're paying MSRP but some still don't.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, dealer just phoned me up (1 hour before i was due to collect)....

Sorry sir, but I've just taken a look at the car and it has the wrong engine in it...
:shock: :shock: :shock:

:x :evil:

I've outright said no to:
  • "taking the car anyway"
  • a P300 with an SE spec but no air suspension
  • paying more for a stock P380

I've asked them to look into how soon a new build can be pushed through.

Advice?

·
Registered
534 Posts
fatmanz said:
So, dealer just phoned me up (1 hour before i was due to collect)....

Sorry sir, but I've just taken a look at the car and it has the wrong engine in it...
:shock: :shock: :shock:

:x :evil:

I've outright said no to:
  • "taking the car anyway"
  • a P300 with an SE spec but no air suspension
  • paying more for a stock P380

I've asked them to look into how soon a new build can be pushed through.

Advice?
WHAT!!!!!! HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN!!

What engine is in it? D300?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
D240.

How it happened has yet to be uncovered but I have a strong suspicion that the salesperson (15 or so years in the trade) had a very limited understanding of the JLR ordering system/process and fat fingered the build order somewhere in the process. The dealer "doesn't want to look for someone to blame".

I'm hoping that LR customer services will get involved so that I have someone helping me to sort this out.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Stop hoping. Do you believe the dealer will call customer service and tell them they messed it up? Probably not.
I would call customer service directly in UK and ask them if they know what they are doing. And if this is the customer treatment for a premium car? Tell them the order number and send the signed order contact.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I already did that before posting Joe, the hope is that it will make a difference.

·
Registered
558 Posts
30%? I know what they answer will be.....

As said mistakes happen and this is far from a JLR issue, although there ordering system is a complete nightmare, why they cannot adopt there online configure system I don't know.

The mother in laws F-Pace was due to be handed over last week, but arrived without tinted windows. she didn't want the film that was suggested and was told that the windows could not be replaced with factory tints. the sales girl also told her that she may lose her job over this... at this point I would have walked to another dealer and this is beyond unacceptable behavior. car was rejected and new order placed.

My brother had a far worse experience with his Audi order, waited months and when it arrived, not only was it the wrong colour it also had and an auto gear box (he had selected manual), not sure if there were further issues as it went no further. Car obviously rejected limited apologies and no offer of a "deal" or compensation, so we popped up the road and a BMW ordered.

We are all human and we all make mistakes...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.