Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

The delivery of my Velar is finally drawing near and, this being my first new car purchase, I'm currently preparing as best I can for the handover process.

I've heard a few horror stories about the condition of new vehicles being handed over by some dealerships so, being OCD in nature, I've been trying to put together a list of things to check/inspect in advance.

I'm planning to send the car to a detailer post-delivery and, to minimise any potential damage inflicted by careless cleaning or PDI personnel, I've put together the following instructions for my dealer:

1. Do not remove transportation wrapping from the vehicle and ensure that all protection and seals remain intact, including brake disc transit protection bags, wheel transit protection covers etc.
  2. Do not remove any plastic covering the trim or seats inside the car.
  3. Do not apply any dealer badges to the inside or outside of the vehicle. Land Rover badges (such as the wheel centre caps etc.) should be kept in their original packaging and placed in the boot.
  4. Do not attempt to wash the exterior or clean the interior of the vehicle. No showroom preparation or valeting should be done.
  5. Do not drill the front or rear bumper for the license plate or license plate bracket (please leave the bracket/screws in the boot).
  6. No rectification, touch-ups or polishing of faults or defects should be carried out by the PDI engineer without explicit consent. Non-destructive processes such as topping up of fluid reservoirs etc. are fine.

(Point 5 is in there as I plan to purchase custom stick-on plates.)

Does anyone have any other advice on things that I should be thinking about?

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
FMZ

G

·
Not a little bit anal?
Let them pre-deliver, then moan if you have too.
I'm sure they are on your side, and will want to present a perfect product for your delectation.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, i'm very particular.

Paintwork damage can easily turn a cheap new car protection detail into a very expensive paintwork correction detail and I'd rather not cross my fingers and hope for the best if it can be avoided.

The first picture in this post is a good example of what I'm talking about: https://www.velarforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=412&p=5388&hilit=detail#p3755

In addition to my original list, I'm also planning to take with me:
  • An LED torch to inspect paintwork
  • Some music on a USB stick to test the sound system
  • A data sim card

·
Registered
153 Posts
fatmanz said:
Yeah, i'm very particular.

Paintwork damage can easily turn a cheap new car protection detail into a very expensive paintwork correction detail and I'd rather not cross my fingers and hope for the best if it can be avoided.

The first picture in this post is a good example of what I'm talking about: https://www.velarforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=412&p=5388&hilit=detail#p3755

In addition to my original list, I'm also planning to take with me:
  • An LED torch to inspect paintwork
  • Some music on a USB stick to test the sound system
  • A data sim card
Good on you I say, I wish I had the get up to do that, life's too short for me, I'll deal with what comes across as it does. Please let us know how it was when you pick it up.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I also would ensure all services work.

Make sure with SIM card, you set up the Nav account at the dealer and you can get the live services as a few Velars have issues with getting live services

·
Registered
449 Posts
It's your first new car, huh? Are you sure you gonna drive it? You better keep all the transport covering on it. And don't watch any off-road testing of the Velar on YouTube, could probably cause a trauma. Don't park your car anywhere near humans.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Joe said:
It's your first new car, huh? Are you sure you gonna drive it? You better keep all the transport covering on it. And don't watch any off-road testing of the Velar on YouTube, could probably cause a trauma. Don't park your car anywhere near humans.
:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joe said:
Nah, i'm planning to put it in my living room and use it as a coffee table. :roll:

Not sure why some people assume that a clean car in good condition is not being driven.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hello Fatmanz,

Could really use everyone's help and expertise so posting this in relevant areas :)

I've been offered a dealer stock car that was built and delivered in 2017 which saves me time on a factory order - does it matter that it was built last year and should I be worried about anything in particular?

The Silicon Silver with Eclipse Blue / Ebony Suede are probably not my preferred interior or exterior colours but they look good and it has the sliding panoramic roof that I really wanted, so just wanted to check with you all if there's anything I should be careful about?

After reading through this forum I'm most concerned about things like - have all the software updates been done?, has the car been well preserved?, are there any issues with the infotainment/electrical/telematic systems?

Another thing that comes to mind is that JLR probably have updated their manufacturing processes and likely incorporated fixes on many issues over the past 12 months. Would these make an impact on this car and what can I or the dealer do to incorporate any missing elements?

I'd really appreciate any tips on preparation before the pre-delivery process, and things to consider during Handover?

I'm creating a checklist so any Feedback / Suggestions / Tips / Experiences / Best Practice is welcome!

Thanks for your Help & Support In Advance :)

fatmanz said:
Hi All,

The delivery of my Velar is finally drawing near and, this being my first new car purchase, I'm currently preparing as best I can for the handover process.

I've heard a few horror stories about the condition of new vehicles being handed over by some dealerships so, being OCD in nature, I've been trying to put together a list of things to check/inspect in advance.

I'm planning to send the car to a detailer post-delivery and, to minimise any potential damage inflicted by careless cleaning or PDI personnel, I've put together the following instructions for my dealer:

1. Do not remove transportation wrapping from the vehicle and ensure that all protection and seals remain intact, including brake disc transit protection bags, wheel transit protection covers etc.
  2. Do not remove any plastic covering the trim or seats inside the car.
  3. Do not apply any dealer badges to the inside or outside of the vehicle. Land Rover badges (such as the wheel centre caps etc.) should be kept in their original packaging and placed in the boot.
  4. Do not attempt to wash the exterior or clean the interior of the vehicle. No showroom preparation or valeting should be done.
  5. Do not drill the front or rear bumper for the license plate or license plate bracket (please leave the bracket/screws in the boot).
  6. No rectification, touch-ups or polishing of faults or defects should be carried out by the PDI engineer without explicit consent. Non-destructive processes such as topping up of fluid reservoirs etc. are fine.

(Point 5 is in there as I plan to purchase custom stick-on plates.)

Does anyone have any other advice on things that I should be thinking about?

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
FMZ

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,

Having followed the stories of others on this forum since last year, there does appear to be an element of luck with the actual defects people are seeing with these cars. Those things are unavoidable, but that being said, I'm sure you're trying to minimise the avoidable ones so here's my two cents:

1. Get the VIN number of the car and stick it into Topix to find out if there are any service actions for your particular vehicle. You may need to pay a small amount of money for this but I can't remember.
  2. Most of the annoying early issues were with software, check that it has been updated to the latest version.
  3. If you intend to put a sim card in: buy it, activate it, test it in another device and take it with you.
  4. Set up an InControl Navigation account here: https://incontrol.landrover.com and connect it during the handover.
  5. Take a torch with you to look over the vehicle, rechargeable LED inspection torches are around £7 online, look for one that has both spot and flood lighting. They're super bright and make it much easier to inspect the interior/exterior panels.
  6. There will be scuff marks on the interior and swirl marks on the paint, try and make sure they're not too deep. Point out any deeper scratches immediately.
  7. Check for paint chips on the front end of the car.
  8. Check the condition of the tyres.
  9. Check the exterior panels for fit, the gaps should be even all the way around every panel.
  10. Check everything opens and closes correctly, tailgate, sunroof, each door handle, wing mirrors, electric seats etc.
  11. Check that all optional accessories are fitted.
  12. Sit in the rear and look for scuff marks on the back of the front seats and headliner.

There's only so much prep you can do so once you're ready to drive away, try to forget all of this and enjoy it!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks a ton for sharing this list and insight - it answers so many of my questions!

For the SIM Card - any idea which provider has good UK connectivity and which contracts seems work out the best?

Would you recommend that I ask the dealer not to clean or prep the car for me before I collect and go straight to a detailer?

I'm getting the Silicon Silver which is a great colour but at £1450 it's an expensive extra so I'd like to maximise the look/freshness/appeal - totally new to this game and don't understand anything about XPEL, Stealth, Wraps, Detailing, Waxing etc. Any tips/suggestions/advice would be great!

fatmanz said:
Hi,

Having followed the stories of others on this forum since last year, there does appear to be an element of luck with the actual defects people are seeing with these cars. Those things are unavoidable, but that being said, I'm sure you're trying to minimise the avoidable ones so here's my two cents:

1. Get the VIN number of the car and stick it into Topix to find out if there are any service actions for your particular vehicle. You may need to pay a small amount of money for this but I can't remember.
  2. Most of the annoying early issues were with software, check that it has been updated to the latest version.
  3. If you intend to put a sim card in: buy it, activate it, test it in another device and take it with you.
  4. Set up an InControl Navigation account here: https://incontrol.landrover.com and connect it during the handover.
  5. Take a torch with you to look over the vehicle, rechargeable LED inspection torches are around £7 online, look for one that has both spot and flood lighting. They're super bright and make it much easier to inspect the interior/exterior panels.
  6. There will be scuff marks on the interior and swirl marks on the paint, try and make sure they're not too deep. Point out any deeper scratches immediately.
  7. Check for paint chips on the front end of the car.
  8. Check the condition of the tyres.
  9. Check the exterior panels for fit, the gaps should be even all the way around every panel.
  10. Check everything opens and closes correctly, tailgate, sunroof, each door handle, wing mirrors, electric seats etc.
  11. Check that all optional accessories are fitted.
  12. Sit in the rear and look for scuff marks on the back of the front seats and headliner.

There's only so much prep you can do so once you're ready to drive away, try to forget all of this and enjoy it!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Get the cheapest data only sim you can find - I got mine from 02, 12 months prepaid, but i'm sure any sim will work fine. Just make sure it's activated and working before you go.

I'd never recommend letting a dealer wash a car. Ever.

As for protection, the options broadly break down into:
  • Wax - cheap as chips, any detailer should do this for free, or do it yourself
  • Ceramic - £500-£1000 depending on coverage/package/brand etc.
  • Paint Protection Film (PPF) - £3.5-4.5k for full coverage (You can choose to do the front end only which will protect against the majority of paint chips).

Try not to spend too much on it, it can get silly, so pick one that suits your budget.
It's a big car so expect to pay the top tier 4x4 prices.

Ultimately, I'd recommend getting in touch with a detailer directly to talk through your options.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.