Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky enough to see the Velar at the Design Museum - Stunning - But the special launch edition car at well over 80k. My budget isn't going to be that high.

I subsequently saw the Velar SE and HSE versions in the flesh the other day. The base interior trim on the standard non HSE version appeared very cheap. Seats straight out of a base model Evoque with cheap leather and lots of poor plastic facings on door and dash. I was a little surprised as a reasonably standard car with 3lt engine is going to cost over 60k.

The HSE version gets much better leather and also a much better quality seat and feels far more like a Range Rover. But you still have to specify fully extended leather at £1500 to get all the cheap plastic covered - a car thats difficult to spec under 70k

Is this just me expecting a grown up Range Rover quality product and not the Evoque quality. Having had 2 Sports in the past they do appear much better finishing quality. I was also surprised that the new Discovery seems to have an interior taken straight out of a full fat Range Rover and substantially cheaper then a Velar of Sport. I'm getting very confused over the different models and how they are being positioned in the range.

Has anyone else seen the SE and HSE versions yet and have any comments to make?

An my final comment is - parking sensors for the front are a cost option!!! Really

·
Registered
125 Posts
I noticed the same things at the Solihull presentation. The FE is amazing but the lower models, not so. Im also worried about the comments about its size despite seeing it several times. All of these were with vehicles in design studios rather than on the road next to other cars. Inside it seems roomy enough but who wants a Dinky toy like an Evoque for £60K+. (lots of people it seems lol).
Funny how these little criticisms and worries gradually start to pop up. Its always the same. Im looking forward now to a full road test.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also see the coupe Sport will be launched reasonably soon- could this be a full fat RR Velar?

That could make things very tricky if the pricing is around Sport money plus 5 to 8k

Be interesting to see official pictures of it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a deposit on the new Velar - I'm thinking HSE 3lt D with 22 inch wheels, extended leather and black pack plus odds and ends - spec about 76k

Same level Discovery is about 10k cheaper

Sport in similar spec about the same - but looking tired - face lift coming

Then there is the Sport Coupe

Then a Range Rover with chunky discount

I'm getting a little confused and as poster previous - not having seen one on road or at full ride height - a little worried it could look dinky

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oh I get it, it's a timing thing.

Proposed Evoque XL, becomes RR Sport Coupe then named the Velar.

Now what adds to the confusion is that the Evoque will get a complete revision in 2018, wouldn't interest me having had three unless it got the bigger engines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts