Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm Duncan and I've been reading posts for the last few weeks but as I'm taking delivery of my Velar this week I thought I should join :)

So I know some people are going to have massively different tastes to me (Thank God or wouldn't this be a boring 馃實) but I like my cars to look a little different but always aim to do this in a classy way, although people do have different opinions of this I totally understand.

So firstly I've just sold my much loved 2015 disco 4 commercial for the velar which I used for work so although the velar is totally not practical for me, the disco 5 commercial won't be out until next year but this made residuals amazing on the disco 4 commercial so it really made sense to get out of it now and have the velar as a in-between that hopefully won't depreciate to much, although in all honesty the disco 5 still hasn't grown on me so I could well still be in the velar in 3 years time!

So first up are wheels. I believe wheels and privacy glass really make a car but I'm really not into after market wheels so always try to look for a genuine option which still look different - disco 4 had 22" range rover black and grey turbine wheels and it was perfect.
So... After hours of searching my favourite option which I hope is actually an option are the 22" helix style wheel from the jaguar f pace, in a satin and gloss black.
I'm just assuming these will fit as they have the same stud pattern, I don't suppose anyone here has proof of this either way do you, I'm just concerned regarding any difference in offset?

Second up is a controversial wrap :)

A bit of background info for you all - I own a window film and vehicle graphics company so this explains the wrap as the car will be partially used as a demo vehicle, sounds crazy but I'm not always a fan of vehicle wraps, only a few I'm really keen on and that means the right colour on the right car etc. (I'm a fussy pain in the ass) I like a nice polished shiny painted car to much!
I won't go in to detail what colour it's going to be wrapped just yet as even I think I'm mad atm as Ive had Carpathian grey and I absolutely love it but if it works out how I plan i'll post pictures up by the end of the week and in the words of my wife - it will look different.
So spec I've had I can't totally remember it all as I've changed it so many times, my dealer is also a very good customer of mine as I've done privacy film for them for many years so everytime I've been in I've changed something, but basics are Carpathian grey 240 se dynamic, black pack, pano roof, black leather, air suspension and a few other bits I think.
So on top of wheels and wrap I'll obviously be tinting the windows in our 3M colour Stable film range for looks as well as heat rejection and most likely some ppf film but that depends on how much I like the wrap, the wrap will protect the paint to a certain degree.

So there we go, there will be a different looking velar this time next week all being well and I'll keep you updated with pics unless I'm banned from the forum for ruining a velar - this won't happen - everything's going to look great I'm sure :)

Anyone else planning on abit of customisation?

If I can be of assistance for advice on anything tint or wrap related please fire any questions over, I'll always help if I can in a completely un biased way.

Look forward to getting to know some of you!

Registered
Hi Sounds good I'm all for wraps if they are done well and colour suits, I have some friends that do the same job and some look great while others not so much 馃樂 . I like your idea of using a different wheel but is still oem, not sure on fitment tho, I'm sure they will be able to give you the offsets and such down at the dealer as the one near to me has already swapped the wheels on both there showroom cars for the dealer fit 22" diamond cut wheels.
What are your thoughts on getting the roof wrapped and Windows done aftermarket against ordering them done from factory to save a few quid? (Im only leasing)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the replies guys, should be interesting either way.
Regarding aftermarket tints and wrap.....
Tints on the velar I'd certainly go after market film route even if I didn't do it myself where I wouldn't necessarily on all cars, but as the velar doesn't have the dot matrix round the edge the finished result won't look any different to the factory privacy glass, how ever I can pick and choose how dark I do it with film so get exactly what I want, plus film has advantages such as being more secure if a window was ever smashed either in a break in or if the car was in an accident, plus the UV is totally blocked so my nice leather will never fade :) I'll post close up photos pretty soon of this as I've got my first one to do tomorrow (yes I know it's bank holiday :-()

Regarding wrapping the roof, give me a week to confirm that 1. I did have a look initially and the shape of the spoiler looked like it would be tricky to wrap in 1 piece so may require joins ( you would want to do the spoiler as well as the roof I think) so all depends how well we could hide the joins of the vinyl if they are in fact required, it looked pretty similar to a range rover sport roof which we do a fair few of so I'd expect similar results but let me do my own before I confirm, mine can be the guinea-pig :)

Registered
Where you located Duncan?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Mark,
I'm based in Telford, Shropshire.
Regarding wrapping of the roof I've had a proper look at them today and it will be no problem, also spoiler will be doable in 1 piece so no joins.
As soon as I figure out how to post pictures I'll pop some up of the first we tinted today...

Registered
Thanks for the heads up tint guy. Do you remove the front glass to tint them and if so are the panels easy enough to take off, don't want to risk having a new car taken apart if there are clips that could easily break.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, thanks to a dodgy maccy D's and a case of food poisoning my plans were seriously delayed as I didn't even collect until this week but thankfully my little beast finally finished :)

Have no idea how to post videos on here but here's a link to a video of the finished result https://m.facebook.com/autoshine.tinting/?ref=bookmarks

For reference the Jaguar F pace 22's fit straight on although the land rover wheel centre's don't fit and after 5 mile a fault has shown with the tyre pressure sensors so think I will have to swap the sensors in the wheels to the original landrover ones, but they do look amazing.

Any questions fire them over. I've also wrapped the gloss black panels as hate the way they scratch so atleast I can replace the wrap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts