Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, 10 days into ownership of my MY21 Velar and another issue has come to light.

Aside to the software issues previously reported my car makes random loud squeaking noises - not related to engine speed / suspension movement or applying the brakes. They are always heard after the car is parked and the engine switched off and seem to be coming from the back of the car. My car has optional air suspension and I suspect this is the likely source. It also seems to be worse in the cold, although still happens when the car is warmed up and can be heard around town and also at Motorway speed.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced these noises? Reluctant to overplay this as the car is being run in, any insights would be most welcome. It certainly draws attention to the car, like a mouse being tortured!

Thank you

·
Registered
851 Posts
True you're just running in, though I've never experienced what you're describing in 3+ years of ownership. I've had maybe a handful of brake squeaks over that period, and usually in a cold morning with moisture overnight going down our sloped drive, and only for the first couple brake presses before subsiding; never at motorway speeds or elsewhere, and hasn't happened once this whole winter. Seems worth documenting to the dealer in writing over email just so you have record and get a recording in case it doesn't happen when they test it. My gut is it'll go away with the pads wearing a little, but still seems strange. No one wants to hear mice being tortured!! Lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So more detective work done. Noise seems to be coming from the back of the car - possibly the exhaust. Always happens after engine switched off and when the engine gets warm. Definitely not related to suspension movement, steering, braking or engine speed. Seems to have been reported by F-Pace owners. Will ask the dealer to investigate.

On the plus side new 2 litre Diesel engine with MEHV is very smooth and surprisingly responsive, no real difference from the D240 I test drove.

I remain confident that teething troubles aside this is going to a fabulous car.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Car at the dealers at the moment - squeaking traced to a faulty exhaust actuator - replacement part on order and will be fitted tomorrow. Fingers crossed this will silence the squeaks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So after 2000 squeak free miles the exhaust squeak is back with a vengeance. Convinced it's the exhaust valve that they replaced last time that's the culprit again. 4th visit to the dealers in 4 months of ownership beckons.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Further update, after 3 days with the garage it would seem that a new rear exhaust system is required. As the noise has been traced to the rear muffler. Unfortunately the part is on back order and due to Covid unavailable (although I'm sure they must be fitting exhausts to new cars down the road in Solihul). From my research this squeak was an issue with RRS and was solved by a new exhaust. Fingers crossed after 5 months and 5 visits to the dealership car will be sorted.

On a bonus note, even though the car updated itself to Pivi Pro 2.10 at the weekend they were able to install even more new software that seems to have fixed the air suspension control issue. Time will tell…….

·
Registered
1 Posts
So after 2000 squeak free miles the exhaust squeak is back with a vengeance. Convinced it's the exhaust valve that they replaced last time that's the culprit again. 4th visit to the dealers in 4 months of ownership beckons.
I have a 2017 Discovery 3.0D and an independent garage has said my squeeking noise is down to the Exhaust Actuator Valve and it will cost £800 parts + fitting of a replacement centre section of the exhaust. Squeeks every time you press down on the accelator and low speeds... Did your Velar get fixed and what did they replace? Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 2017 Discovery 3.0D and an independent garage has said my squeeking noise is down to the Exhaust Actuator Valve and it will cost £800 parts + fitting of a replacement centre section of the exhaust. Squeeks every time you press down on the accelator and low speeds... Did your Velar get fixed and what did they replace? Thanks
They fitted a new rear exhaust system and I am pleased to say that it fixed the issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts