Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Range Rover Velar will be based on the IQ platform of JLR, on which also the Jaguar F-Pace is built. The Velar will be built alongside the Range Rover Sport and Jaguar F-Pace in the ultra-modern aluminium body and assembly plant in Solihull, West Midlands.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

The competitors are thought to be the BMW X6 and Mercedes GLE Coupe .

Thanks to an aluminum body, the empty weight should drop below 2000 kilograms - and thus be below the competitor's. The engines are designed for Jaguar F-Pace and Range Rover Sport. All-wheel drive is also standard equipment such as an eight-speed automatic transmission. Later Range Rover will offer a plug-in hybrid offering.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Land Rover is yet to officially announce the vehicle but prototypes have been spotted for more than a year. The design resembles an enlarged Evoque with some elements from the Range Rover Sport also thrown in. A distinguishing trait is the sloped roof that tapers off towards the rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
AyeAye said:
The Jaguar F-Pace is a big success. So a re bodied, more upmarket version makes sense.
The fpace may be a big success but it is poorly put together ( poor leather ,heater faults,panel alignment all over car,ictp not fit for purpose to name but a few ,check the fpace forum faults section) and seeing as both cars are coming off the same production line the velar will probably have the same faults
Pictures of the show model have panel gap issues at left hand side of boot ,there are many fpaces out there with this issue attached picture is after an attempted fix

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
I recently visited the production line for F-Pace, RRS and soon the RRV. The F-Pace is of course a mid range product without the cache that RR brings to SUV ownership. A "Hollyoaks" car I once heard it described as. It is more of a wanna-be than even the Evoque is, which itself is an aspirational vehicle for those climbing the brand ladder from the first rung. Many will think Qashquai or its Renault equivalent than try and compare it with RRS/RRV. To me it even looks similar.
Yet, nothing could prepare me for the Heath Robinson aspects of the production line at Solihull. Great big wooden boxes stacked beside the conveyer belt of vehicles with parts being hammered in manually with mallets or presses. Shut lines being checked only with white gloved hands or with simple slide rules. Not a laser measure in sight, and worryingly, very little automation.
Compared to the Porsche, MB and BMW production lines I have visited this one looked massively over staffed and under modernised.
I therefore share the concerns of the writer above. Coming from both BMW and Audi ownership in recent times I pray (can we all do that please!) that the considerable amount of cash I'm intending to spend will not be wasted on shoddy workmanship, unreliable engines and the many famous LR early production complaints. It looks and feels like a fabulous car, this RRV. I love its looks, and anticipate its arrival with relish. I just hope it won't be another F-Pace. God forbid!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had an early production fpace off that "hi-tec" production line and what a disaster of a vechicle Rejected after 6 weeks and I was on holiday for two of them , over 15 faults and I'm not annally fussy
It's great getting one of the first few on the road but you don't want to be a guinea pig
JLR after sales is TERRIBLE , so it's back with the Germans for me (BMW) and yes bit boring but very well put together. It's a shame the Germans didn't built the fpace and I fear the velar to, only time will tell
Wishing you all the best on your purchase, I'm tempted to have a look myself as I'm stuck in a car after my fpace but don't know if I can trust JLR again even if jaguar is the inferior side of the brand

·
Registered
171 Posts
ro66ter said:
I had an early production fpace off that "hi-tec" production line and what a disaster of a vechicle Rejected after 6 weeks and I was on holiday for two of them , over 15 faults and I'm not annally fussy
It's great getting one of the first few on the road but you don't want to be a guinea pig
JLR after sales is TERRIBLE , so it's back with the Germans for me (BMW) and yes bit boring but very well put together. It's a shame the Germans didn't built the fpace and I fear the velar to, only time will tell
Wishing you all the best on your purchase, I'm tempted to have a look myself as I'm stuck in a car after my fpace but don't know if I can trust JLR again even if jaguar is the inferior side of the brand
Have to agree, having owned two and still got the very limited Supercharged 3 litre first edition model i am for one looking forward to the Velar, having gone from an Evoque to the Fpace i am looking to move back to the Range Rover family in the future.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm back with BMW at the moment having left the LR stable last year, in what is a really well developed 3l diesel with X drive and some very good tech, a gearbox that works as well as Adaptive LEDs that are amazing, this Velar is going to have to be very good to get me back in a Land Rover.

I'm looking forward to hearing how your new buyers get on, I've done my LR Guinea Pig stuff, so trying to be patient, it's no good this car looking good (which it does very well), but it's going to have to drive well and not suffer build niggles that have plagued some other JLR products.

·
Registered
5 Posts
RRV said:
I'm back with BMW at the moment having left the LR stable last year, in what is a really well developed 3l diesel with X drive and some very good tech, a gearbox that works as well as Adaptive LEDs that are amazing, this Velar is going to have to be very good to get me back in a Land Rover.

I'm looking forward to hearing how your new buyers get on, I've done my LR Guinea Pig stuff, so trying to be patient, it's no good this car looking good (which it does very well), but it's going to have to drive well and not suffer build niggles that have plagued some other JLR products.
Hi RRV back with BMW myself in what sounds like a similar car to yourself (335d xdrive ) what an all round car ,everything works and the engine and especially the gearbox take some beating ,beginning to wonder if I will ever venture back in to the SUV market now that my two British Bulldogs are sadly away and my little one is out her big pram , certainly don't think I will be JLR Guinea pig again

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hello everyone. Forgive me returning to a pet topic of mine.

In the release pictures of the Velar, and the videos (remember those from early March?) the cars are mostly shown in one colour. This appeared to be, at the time, a "silver" of sorts. Later on, the "e" brochure came out on line (on the LR Website) and again most of the pics there were of a car in a "silver" colour. I don't think anyone can argue about that, and I for one loved the images and quickly chose this colour. My £1000 deposit went down 7 days before the London launch (on the hunch I would love the car) and I remain my dealer's launch customer.

However, if you, like me, look at all the captions in all the "e" brochure shots and on all the titles which accompany the release literature you will find the cars are all marked as being in "Silicon Silver". Now go to google, and punch in the same colour and look at the RRs, Discoverys, and Evoques shown there. Then go and SEE a car in Silicon Silver, and be sure to pick both a sunny day and (if you can be ******) an overcast day. And then you will see that it is a misrepresented colour. It is NOT silver. It is a dull, boring, metallic green.

So, beware all those being suckered into paying an extra £725 to have a Silicon Silver car because, unless you like Green Metallic (which of course you may!) please do not expect to pick up a shiny new silver car when yours comes through. You won't. You will have a green car!

Ok, that's definitely enough said on this super boring subject and, please Land Rover, stop misrepresenting colours in your own interest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts