Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've noticed recently that our Velar won't remote start or check it's status in the morning. If you've been driving and it's not been locked for more than a few hours everything works fine.

Two mornings now i've tried to use the remote climate heat and it's not worked. I've had to manually open the door and turn on the ignition (not start the engine). Then everything eventually comes back to life.

While I know there is a 4 day limit to how long these features are available. I can't understand why it's a problem.
I've tested the 4G connection while in the car and it gets 4mbps+ on our drive, so there shouldn't be a connection issue.

I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem before I escalate this to our dealer.

Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Off and On job. Started engine as normal then tried remote climate , error saying "engine running" so the connection is validated.
Turned off engine then tried remote climate , worked immediately and ever since.

G

·
This has been an issue for me as well. This morning, it was -15C and I needed Remote Start to work. It did not (again). This time I contacted Land Rover customer service (I'm in Canada, the call was routed to the New Jersey customer assistance) and explained the situation, noted it's happening right now, and it happens (almost) regularly in the morning. The agent managed to get ahold of another person who relayed to her its a 'known' problem where the car cannot be reached as a result of 'extreme' cold. Extreme is a, well, extreme word. I mean -15C is cold, but its not extreme - when it gets to the depth of Winter here, its going to be -25C and worse, regularly. The agent indicated they are working on it, and I should check back in a month... um, that's not good enough :(

What is the overnight temperature in your situations?

·
Registered
482 Posts
quig451 said:
This has been an issue for me as well. This morning, it was -15C and I needed Remote Start to work. It did not (again). This time I contacted Land Rover customer service (I'm in Canada, the call was routed to the New Jersey customer assistance) and explained the situation, noted it's happening right now, and it happens (almost) regularly in the morning. The agent managed to get ahold of another person who relayed to her its a 'known' problem where the car cannot be reached as a result of 'extreme' cold. Extreme is a, well, extreme word. I mean -15C is cold, but its not extreme - when it gets to the depth of Winter here, its going to be -25C and worse, regularly. The agent indicated they are working on it, and I should check back in a month... um, that's not good enough :(

What is the overnight temperature in your situations?
I wouldn't buy that explanation. No way!

Yesterday evening, after having pulled onto the drive from completing the attic flooring project, I reset my windows and then tested the Remote Start. It worked first time. Perfect.

This morning it was just -5c (ish). Tried the Remote Start and received the Network Delay message. Kept trying and occasionally received a message telling me that there was a technical fault, but mainly the Network Delay was the returning message.

I have checked the internet today. Others have a similar issue - both Land Rover and Jaguar owners. It's hard to find a definitive answer to the issue. The most compelling is an explanation on a forum that suggested the issue is connected with a flaky cellular signal. The car communicates via the inbuilt JLR SIM card and not the additional card that some of us choose to buy and install. That means that I have no idea which carrier the JLR SIM is using and whether the signal strength is patchy or strong on my drive in the morning. The post suggested that, before the start operation can begin, the car must first confirm that all of the other factors are good - DPF, fuel level, windows locked etc. Only if all of this data is properly communicated can it then execute a Remote Start. If some data is lost or is broken then the command fails.

I have no idea if this is the correct explanation but it sounds plausible. Like many other things on our Velar, I will need to persevere until I either learn what I should actually be doing properly or find a workaround. I love the technology but it's frustrating in the early days to learn it all and exploit it.

If anyone has any further knowledge then please share it with us. I now have a Velar courtesy car for a week or so and that means I won't be able to access Remote Start.

Arianne

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was about +2 for us. However we had a Disco Sport before (no remote heat) but I don't remember there ever being a big problem.

We are in a pretty good place for all GSM signals so I can't believe that's the issue. I've just had the lower screen lock tonight too. We couldn't get the climate to do anything correctly. Anyone tell me how you reboot the system ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Normal Network diagnostics apply, first establish a working connection, if "Vehicle Locked and Alarmed " and journeys are updated the connection is confirmed. The "Network Delay" message will be a catch all error message similar to some Microsoft and other OS messages. It just means Remote Climate is not working . My own experience of manually starting the engine, turning off and locking, then Remote Start working without fail, suggests either some fairly shoddy coding or diagnostics failures. It isn't that unusual to have "Window or Door Open" when you know they're locked.
Restarting the App clears the error. I got rid of my last RRS because the apps weren't working. Incontrol support said because it's 3rd party software they suggested getting the Dealer to sort it. The Dealer , after having it for 24 hrs, said because it's 3rd party software they were unable to check it properly.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Come back in a month? They must be kidding. There're way to many software glitches. JLR should provide fixes on a regular basis. This is a high price luxury car. I'm in the software industry and this not acceptable. Who tested this car before they ramped up production? So much for everyone who believes JLR will provide Apple CarPlay via update.

G

·
Cross post, similar threads:

https://www.velarforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=539&p=5162#p5162

It's true there are a lot of moving software parts to this vehicle. I can live with some bugs, I get it, I'm in the industry as well. I can imagine a myriad of issues with this system (it's a cloud'ish command relay probably, I doubt the app is directly contacting the vehicle...).

Remote Start and Climate where I live however is a must have, no bugs LR (we all know you are reading this ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Again remote start network error although the app could see the car and get the location and but when you access the remote start get network error.

The fix was going out to the car unlocking starting the engine turning off and re locking, came back in house and connected and set remote climate.

I have had several issues with this car as previously reported, I'm getting beyond fed up now!!!

I will shortly be ringing my dealer again and JLR customer services. We pay premium money for a premium brand and it's not too much to expect it to work my work colleague on a Nisan leaf with loads of software functions is faultless.

G

·
bazzert9 said:
Again remote start network error although the app could see the car and get the location and but when you access the remote start get network error.

The fix was going out to the car unlocking starting the engine turning off and re locking, came back in house and connected and set remote climate.

I have had several issues with this car as previously reported, I'm getting beyond fed up now!!!

I will shortly be ringing my dealer again and JLR customer services. We pay premium money for a premium brand and it's not too much to expect it to work my work colleague on a Nisan leaf with loads of software functions is faultless.
I also confirm this workaround, but no need to start the vehicle. Press start, no brake, wait 20 to 30 seconds, turn it off. Once that occurs, it seems to 'wake up' and remote start works again. I agree, these types of issues are nowhere near acceptable on a brand/price level like this, but I knew going in that LR doesn't have the most stellar record with electronics.

I love this car, really do, and will accept some issues as long as I know fixes are coming. I do not have that confidence level right now...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts