Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question all,

i really can't make up my mind.

My use is only weekends, c. 120-130 miles per month (15 miles per weekend day roughly) and one or two long trips a year, about 3-4k miles per year.

I like thebextra power of the petrol and think its better for short journeys.

The budget stretches for either:

1) R-dynamic D180 SE with standard 20 alloys
2) P250 SE with 21 alloys (HSE model alloys)

I like the look of the larger wheels but residuals on the diesel are better.

I am not buying PCP so residuals are important... I sometimes do short journeys which are bad for DPF...

Difficult one...suggestions?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have you taken either for a test drive? I took both the D240 and the P250 for a test drive before deciding on the P250.
I wrote my comments about that in the post on Re: Cars.com P250 and D180 Review. Hopefully, I have added the link correctly below:
https://www.velarforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=456&p=4175#p4175
Try and get your dealer to source both for a test drive, and don't be afraid to go to more than one dealer (if you can) if that what it takes. You've got to be sure you've made the right decision for you.
Kieran.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Paris , it is an announcement that the mayor of the city did in January.
I am not sure it will happen in 2020 maybe more in 2024 for practical reasons.

She (the mayor) seems to be very committed on the fight against diesel and cars in general, with the support of most of the population of the city. Only 10% of parisiens own a car and the cars take 50% of the vital space of the city.

So I will not bet on it, thinking at the resell value of a diesel in such circumstances, 4 of 5 years from now.

Beside that fact, for somebody making less than 10000 miles per year a petrol car makes sense:
it is quieter, cleaner when you refill the car if by chance you left some gas in your hands.
In term of confort, the new turbo compressed petrol engine have also a good torque at 1500 - 2000 rpm, it is still less than a diesel
but it is a great progress compared with old V6 petrol engines which also were very thirsty.

I was fond of diesel for big cars before but my trial of the P250 and the mayor convinced me to go petrol, I have ordered a P300 ...the P250
was too green for me :lol:

·
Registered
153 Posts
peterd said:

She (the mayor) seems to be very committed on the fight against diesel and cars in general, with the support of most of the population of the city. Only 10% of parisiens own a car and the cars take 50% of the vital space of the city.

So I will not bet on it, thinking at the resell value of a diesel in such circumstances, 4 of 5 years from now.

Beside that fact, for somebody making less than 10000 miles per year a petrol car makes sense:
it is quieter, cleaner when you refill the car if by chance you left some gas in your hands.
In term of confort, the new turbo compressed petrol engine have also a good torque at 1500 - 2000 rpm, it is still less than a diesel
but it is a great progress compared with old V6 petrol engines which also were very thirsty.

I was fond of diesel for big cars before but my trial of the P250 and the mayor convinced me to go petrol, I have ordered a P300 ...the P250
Appreciate the in depth reply, going petrol for me adds nearly £2k the price as could only go P300 as I wanted air. Good luck with your car when you get it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
peterd said:

French journalists have gone a bit to fast here. One should read carefully what the city of Paris says on their website (link below for french readers). They claim the goal should be no more diesel in 2024 and no more petrol in 2030. But this is only a goal. No ban is planned at this stage .

https://www.paris.fr/actualites/la-ville-de-paris-reagit-a-l-annonce-de-la-fin-des-vehicules-diesel-et-essence-5178

For sure if this happens this will not facilitate the sell of our D180 in 2022, unless we sell it abroad :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I tested a velar on normal suspension as I wanted to see what the ride was like.
It was fine for me so based on my yearly mileage petrol made sense to me and I have found the P250 to be more fun than the D240 I tested and it is very refined.
I also went for SE rather than r-dynamic SE as I preferred the cleaner look and didn't think the copper detailing would go with the Metallic red I had chosen....so I would have had to paid extra for the black package on top of the extra for r-dynamic.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies...I think the petrol would be fun, but noting most of the low mileage I do a year would be long distances it seems tempting to het the diesel....

I am thinking of the selling price as well in about 4- 5 years time, and know a lot of people at that price point may want fuel economy more than driving power...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts