Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have an R-Dynamic SE with standard leather seats. The drivers seat has a "hard lump" on the left side towards the back. It causes a pain in my leg after driving for any longer than about 40 minuets. Anyone else having any seat comfort issues?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
Not had delivery yet but not noticed in demo, although they were Windsor. Slightly concerning though, speak to the dealer as it sounds like a fault to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
David136 said:
Hi. I have an R-Dynamic SE with standard leather seats. The drivers seat has a "hard lump" on the left side towards the back. It causes a pain in my leg after driving for any longer than about 40 minuets. Anyone else having any seat comfort issues?
I have the same seats. I find them perfectly fine for long journeys. If anything, if I had the budget, would have liked more side bolster support for cornering but I had already busted the budget and there was no way I was going back again to ask Mrs A for another increase in the budget headroom!

I do find ownership of new cars, expecially complex ones like the Velar, a love-hate relationship for the first few weeks. Achieving a comfortable driving position ranks right up there as one of the early ownership frustrations. In my previous long-term loaner Jaguar X J, I was in agony when I arrived at the Holiday Inn, Dover after driving down from Scotland due to poor seat positioning. After a radical adjustment, the rest of my journey to France was fine.

If you think there is a problem with your Velar seating then there is a simple solution. Pop into your dealer and compare their demonstrator to your own car. If yours is different then the dealer may swap the seat or arrange for some remedial work to be undertaken.

I wish you well.

Arianne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
No issues for me. Funnily enough my back ache has gone so I'm thinking that was caused by my last car.

It could be a height issue as suggested above? Or is it a fault? Worth speaking to the dealership.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheesy6 said:
I had the same problem on my 15 sport hse. More than 30 minutes and i got pain in my back and sorry to say same in the Velar. I'm 6.2 ft might be height problem
I'm 6.2 ft too. Maybe it is a height issue. Dealer says they can't do anything about it. 😬
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
My First Edition seats were bloody uncomfortable too, to begin with. My back and the seats appear to have settled down now though, and I use the lumber massage function often. It helps.

That function and the amazing cruise control which slows you down and speeds you up automatically in traffic, are my 2 current favourites.

Wish there was an auto handbrake for town traffic though. Like my old Audi. Ah well.
 
G

·
David136 said:
Hi. I have an R-Dynamic SE with standard leather seats. The drivers seat has a "hard lump" on the left side towards the back. It causes a pain in my leg after driving for any longer than about 40 minuets. Anyone else having any seat comfort issues?
I've just picked up my Velar this weekend and put on a few hundred klicks. I have the exact same issue. I've the P380 R-Dynamic HSE full leather. If it doesn't work itself in I'll be looking for a new seat!

Kieron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
Not noticed any issues at all with ours and I'm 6"
 
G

·
It's been about six weeks since I posted above. The seats seem to be better now, although they are certainly not as comfortable or soft as I would've hoped. As a true performance car seat, they are probably perfect, however I want them to be more luxurious. I have found the right positioning for my 20 way driver seat, so that helps quite a bit as I'v found my sweet spot. It's worth noting that my wife does not have the same feeling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
David136 said:
Hi. I have an R-Dynamic SE with standard leather seats. The drivers seat has a "hard lump" on the left side towards the back. It causes a pain in my leg after driving for any longer than about 40 minuets. Anyone else having any seat comfort issues?
I have had the exact same issue. I just leased a 2018 Velar S and I find the sides of the bucket seats to be extremely uncomfortable after driving for a half hour. I have pain in both legs from the hard sides. I am 6'4" and weigh about 205 lbs. Did you get a resolution to this issue?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
I have been on a months-long crossover search to replace my 2016 Audi Q5 in main part due to leg and hip pain from the high seat bolsters on the S-Line's sport seats. I've looked at most of the competition: Audi (the new Q5 with non-sport seats), Acura RDX, Volvo XC60, Lincoln Nautilus, and others, but none of them suited for one reason or another.

I was contemplating the F-Pace (the 4-cylinders as the V6 comes only with sports seats), but then last month I got a free upgrade on a rental to the Velar and I found it's seats to be the most comfortable I ever felt. It has most of what I liked about the F-Pace plus some nice extras like being able to get the V6 without harsh seats.

I'm putting in a factory order for the premium textile seats that, based on a test drive, I think are even more comfortable than the leather seats I rented for a week.

I sure hope there isn't something I missed about those seats!

(Note: I'm on the short side, only 5'7", so maybe that influences how the seat hits me.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
I started to get back ache after about 30 mins in mine. My usual seat position is quite reclined.
I looked on the internet, and the most common advise is to adopt a more upright seating position (100 degrees) with the seat closer to the steering wheel, so your shoulders are in contact with the seat back.
This seems to have helped, but have yet to do a journey much beyond 1hr.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
How do the standard seats in an R-Dynamic SE compare to Audi's S-Line sports seats? I currently have a 2014 A6 Black Edition and find those seats really comfortable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Matty said:
How do the standard seats in an R-Dynamic SE compare to Audi's S-Line sports seats? I currently have a 2014 A6 Black Edition and find those seats really comfortable.
Matty, I find that seat comfort is incredibly particular to the person. The main difference is that the Audi seats (they may well be the same as the ones you have) are a little narrower, the seat bolsters are higher and the hard black plastic frame that the cushions are built into come up a little higher. Also, there's a difference in where the rise in the seat bolsters take place. In my Audi seats they are higher in the back near the hips. In the Velar they are higher in the front near the thighs. This means that -- to me -- there is a subtle but persistent upward pressure on my left hip joint which is fine for a while but after about a half hour leads to a dull ache. And on a long drive leads to severe pain. But I've only met a few people who have the same problem with those seats (though I have met a few). Most find them incredibly comfortable and supportive.

The Velar seats work so well for me because they are a bit wider, the bolster rise is minor at the back, the plastic frame is lower, they are a bit softer, and their shape just suits my particular body better. I find they hold me just as well in turns, with the grip a little stronger from the back bolsters and a little less so from the seat bolsters.

Again, I'm not saying the Velar seats are better, only better for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Gurgeh said:
Matty said:
How do the standard seats in an R-Dynamic SE compare to Audi's S-Line sports seats? I currently have a 2014 A6 Black Edition and find those seats really comfortable.
Matty, I find that seat comfort is incredibly particular to the person. The main difference is that the Audi seats (they may well be the same as the ones you have) are a little narrower, the seat bolsters are higher and the hard black plastic frame that the cushions are built into come up a little higher. Also, there's a difference in where the rise in the seat bolsters take place. In my Audi seats they are higher in the back near the hips. In the Velar they are higher in the front near the thighs. This means that -- to me -- there is a subtle but persistent upward pressure on my left hip joint which is fine for a while but after about a half hour leads to a dull ache. And on a long drive leads to severe pain. But I've only met a few people who have the same problem with those seats (though I have met a few). Most find them incredibly comfortable and supportive.

The Velar seats work so well for me because they are a bit wider, the bolster rise is minor at the back, the plastic frame is lower, they are a bit softer, and their shape just suits my particular body better. I find they hold me just as well in turns, with the grip a little stronger from the back bolsters and a little less so from the seat bolsters.

Again, I'm not saying the Velar seats are better, only better for me.
Thank you for the detailed response, very insightful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Matty, one more thing. I can cope with the standard Audi seats (though they are a bit narrow) which have much shorter seat bolsters, but not their sport seats (like I have in my 2016 Q5). I found the same issue with the F-Pace seats, which was annoying because to get JLR's sweet supercharged V6 3.0 engine one had to buy the car's S sports trim, which only comes with those sport seats. I was glad, therefore, to find the Velar.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top