Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Autocar UK have tested the Velar on UK roads and they pretty much slated the car so badly that one can't believe what they are reading - they hated it so badly that it did not even make their top 5 SUV's list!!!!!!!!!! The review was based on the D240 engine. They hated it so bad it sounds like a paid review from a competitor :lol:

The RRS remains their Number 1 SUV :shock: :eek:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/land-rover/range-rover-velar/verdict

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just read it and I don't think they are far wrong. It is too expensive and I just don't think it's a 4 cylinder car in the same way the RRS is not. They base their RRS review on the big engines so are not comparing like with like.
Big wheels make no sense other than on a cosmetic basis and they are right about that too. I've got 20s as they are the best on doing the job intended.
I've had my D300 a week and love it but it's the engine needed to make it fun. I went in a Cayenne yesterday, a car I love, but it doesn't have the comfort of the Velar.
However at over £70k I could of bought a very good alternative with change.
I don't care about reviews, it's my car and I'm enjoying it!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Brooke1403 well said! Without a powerful engine its a different car. And, I would say, without some of the luxury features too, such as full leather, full infotainment etc. You pays for what you gets!

·
Registered
126 Posts
VelarMan said:
Autocar UK have tested the Velar on UK roads and they pretty much slated the car so badly that one can't believe what they are reading - they hated it so badly that it did not even make their top 5 SUV's list!!!!!!!!!! The review was based on the D240 engine. They hated it so bad it sounds like a paid review from a competitor :lol:

The RRS remains their Number 1 SUV :shock: :eek:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/land-rover/range-rover-velar/verdict
You can take the review either way. Yes the performance of the car is fairly poor in the 4 cylinder engines but anyone buying with this spec isn't after a quick car. It's style and comfort that is the main thing and the review agrees that the Velar has it in abundance. Want performance as well as comfort and buy the V6. It's quite simple and at least there is a choice. I also don't know why people keep comparing the macan to the Velar. The boot is so tiny that it would hardly take a buggy in the back let alone a family of 4's luggage for a weekend away. I would compare it more to the evoque!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Would take these reviews with a grain of salt like dodge said.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When they tested the F Pace, the main gripe was the 180D was borderline underpowered and they couldn't wait for the 240.

That whole Velar test is a far cry from Autocar's normal practice where if it's British it can do no wrong, if it's JLR it's even better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We've ordered a 180d. 0-60 in around 8 seconds is not bad for a big bus like this. It'll do 120 mph (plenty fast enough). These things are not sports cars. The 2.7 sport we have now is a lot slower than the 180 velar. And for the type of car it is is still plenty fast enough. If you want to go fast in a big car why not get one made for the job like an Audi rs6 avant.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I love fast cars and had some serious concerns about the P250 we've ordered. After a test drive, I was plesently surprised the responsive power of the 4 cyclinder turbo. It is plenty fast enough for an SUV and good on mileage.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'd hardly call the review "Shocking"

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Even for the D300 they will still say the car makes no sense and that the RRS is a better bet at the price :( As I said numerous times before JLR have messed up the marketing of this car - it needed to be a RRS Coupe rather than sat below the range - something like the X5 and X6 :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a d240 engine in mine, if you put it in manual, and know what you are doing, its plenty nippy, but I bought it as a family car and as such have no desire to keep my foot down at all times, especially with two young children, someone said it above,go for the V6 if you want more grunt. I spent the difference between this and the v6 on lots of kit, because I wanted a comfortable and luxurious drive without the extra running costs rather than simply a quick one, if you wanted performance you could get an m3 or something of that ilk, if you want a crisp modern interior, lots of creature comforts and smart design on the outside, the Velar is perfect.

·
Registered
449 Posts
BLAM said:
I love fast cars and had some serious concerns about the P250 we've ordered. After a test drive, I was plesently surprised the responsive power of the 4 cyclinder turbo. It is plenty fast enough for an SUV and good on mileage.
BLAM what is the milage of the P250 in real world conditions? I couldn't find any answer to this yet. We still don't know if to order the D180 or the P250.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The P250 doesnt feel slow at all to me. I think the engine suits the car perfectly. It's no rocket, but it's got a decent amount of pep in dynamic mode. It's so quiet and refined as well. I haven't regretted the engine choice at all. I haven't driven a D240 for comparison.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.