Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

Can anyone who has had delivery/using their car confirm how the internet in the car works?

Is this via sim card and is one provided?

If you have to provide a sim, which one have you gone for?

How is it working out for you?

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
for the 1st week of ownership I had nothing but problems with the data connection with the SIM card provided from factory. I'm in Canada, and they provided me with a Bell SIM card that was pre installed - it would make sense to me that they ship a SIM card compatible with your region. I got it only to work (with a stable 3G connection icon, top right of screen) only a few times - so I knew it worked, but was very temperamental. I put an alternate SIM card from a different provider and BOOM, fast 4G connection all of a sudden.... worked flawlessly within seconds, all the time, no issues yet. I get a internet connection within 25-40sec of starting the car. Stable, reliable, gives me weather and news, can surf the internet, car start remotely, etc... it works very well for me now!
I mention this because you may have to fiddle with different data/SIM card providers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Just using a 4g sim here in the U.K.

No major data usage. But if you didn't want to go down that route you can tether to your phones data anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys i have got a sspare data sim in my ipad air that i never use which is on the o2 network in the UK so hopefully I can use that and it works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
I have a 5 Gb sim that gives me 4g data with no issues so far. you can use WiFi sharing your iPhone/smartphones connection as well punctually but it is not really stable. Sim is better and useful for traffic satnav
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Is it only my dealership who have provided a free sim?!

Danger: ask your dealership as Williams Manchester had mine all set up for me. With you being local, your dealership won't want to be outdone by a local place!
 
G

·
van604 said:
for the 1st week of ownership I had nothing but problems with the data connection with the SIM card provided from factory. I'm in Canada, and they provided me with a Bell SIM card that was pre installed - it would make sense to me that they ship a SIM card compatible with your region. I got it only to work (with a stable 3G connection icon, top right of screen) only a few times - so I knew it worked, but was very temperamental. I put an alternate SIM card from a different provider and BOOM, fast 4G connection all of a sudden.... worked flawlessly within seconds, all the time, no issues yet. I get a internet connection within 25-40sec of starting the car. Stable, reliable, gives me weather and news, can surf the internet, car start remotely, etc... it works very well for me now!
I mention this because you may have to fiddle with different data/SIM card providers.
Cool, I am also in Canada and pickup our Velar today. I have a shared data plan sim from my iPad on the Rogers network, hope that works!

I'm in Edmonton, where are you at?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
I am also in Canada, and have had no problems with the SIM that was installed at the dealer when I picked up my Velar. Connects to 3G whenever I am in the vehicle but that is only good for the first 3 months and then I will be looking for something else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
mavg1986 said:
Would also be curious on the size of the sim card for the car, and if anyone knows where should I put it in the car (collect mine in a weeks time)
Sim goes under arm rest, near the USB and HDMI ports. Its not the nano SIM in the current iphones, its one bigger, micro sim? its the medium size one if that makes sense?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
quig451 said:
van604 said:
for the 1st week of ownership I had nothing but problems with the data connection with the SIM card provided from factory. I'm in Canada, and they provided me with a Bell SIM card that was pre installed - it would make sense to me that they ship a SIM card compatible with your region. I got it only to work (with a stable 3G connection icon, top right of screen) only a few times - so I knew it worked, but was very temperamental. I put an alternate SIM card from a different provider and BOOM, fast 4G connection all of a sudden.... worked flawlessly within seconds, all the time, no issues yet. I get a internet connection within 25-40sec of starting the car. Stable, reliable, gives me weather and news, can surf the internet, car start remotely, etc... it works very well for me now!
I mention this because you may have to fiddle with different data/SIM card providers.
Cool, I am also in Canada and pickup our Velar today. I have a shared data plan sim from my iPad on the Rogers network, hope that works!

I'm in Edmonton, where are you at?
Hello fellow Canadian, I'm in Vancouver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
van604 said:
mavg1986 said:
Would also be curious on the size of the sim card for the car, and if anyone knows where should I put it in the car (collect mine in a weeks time)
Sim goes under arm rest, near the USB and HDMI ports. Its not the nano SIM in the current iphones, its one bigger, micro sim? its the medium size one if that makes sense?
Thanks van604
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top