Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has got smart insurance with land rover or with any other company they can recommended. Land Rover prices seem quite excessive how ever they have just added tyre insurance.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Personally I'd steer clear of there protections all extremely over priced, much cheaper out there. With alloy repairs around 60£ a wheel, you need a few repairs to cover your outlay.

Gap insurance is free with my planned insurer for the first 12 months.

Search "gap insurance" on the forum and there are a couple of recommendations.

All obviously in my personal opinion

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Milky400 said:
Personally I'd steer clear of there protections all extremely over priced, much cheaper out there. With alloy repairs around 60£ a wheel, you need a few repairs to cover your outlay.

Gap insurance is free with my planned insurer for the first 12 months.

Search "gap insurance" on the forum and there are a couple of recommendations.

All obviously in my personal opinion
Looks like there's a few, much appreciated

·
Registered
72 Posts
I did it last time on our Disco Sport. I'd agree with everyone you need a lot of visits to get your money back. I'm choosing to PAYG this time. Also the company they use in the UK take an age to get back to you and longer to carry out the work

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here in Australia they offer whats called "Schmick Car Care Protection"

You have to pay upfront for a membership which can go from 1,3,5 years.

I got the 5 year membership as it is transferable. It seems like a good idea - the Velar is my wifes car and spends all day in work car parks and shopping centers and is bound to get a few dings, scratches and wheel gutters just like her last car, and that car was a tiny car (Audi S3) compared to this beast.

5 Years was $1800 AUD. Unlimited Claims, $50 per claim. Covers all bodywork, rims and interior. Dents, Dings. Scratches, Interior Leather Tears/Rips, Gutter Rash on wheels.

As a result put the excess on my insurance up to MAX ($2000 excess) since i wont have to worry about paying to fix small damage any more and hence reduced my insurance premiums by around $350 per year and as a result this car protection now is paying for itself.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Finally picking up my Velar this weekend and the Dealer has been trying hard to sell their Insurance Policies (as expected)!

Decided to Decline GAP/RTI Insurance because my Policy already covers the full purchase price for 1st year. But I'm really tempted to go for the SMART and Tyre Insurance:

For 2 year period Dealer has quoted - £349 for SMART Repair Insurance (to cover scratches/chips/dents) and £249 for Tyre Insurance (covering 5 tyres upto £200 price Limit and no excess on policy).

Haven't been able to find comparable price matches for RRV online, so I'm concerned if the Dealer is overcharging?

Also, the tyre insurance doesn't cover Alloys which are really expensive so does it still make sense?

A 'package' deal would be ideal as I don't want to regret not getting this minor stuff at a later date :(

Really looking forward to hearing you experience/advice/insight, thanks!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Poor value and does not make sense at all.

Your Velar tyres cost more than £200 each so you wouldn't be able to claim their full value.

Smart repairs depend on case by case. But usually between £75-£100 so you wouldn't get your money back from the premiums. Anything bigger wouldn't be a smart repair.

If anything your alloys are likely to be kerbed but at about £50 per alloy to refurb, you would need to do several to even get your money back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.