Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Can you help? I notice from the manual that JLR say that snowchains can only be fitted to cars with wheel sizes up to & including 20". They don't say why.

I have 21" wheels. I need to buy some snow chains. I wonder if the issue is because, with traditional chains, the clearance between the top inside edge of the tyre wall and the car's suspension is insufficient? Even with reduced snow chain links I need 13-15mm clearance.

I have seen a nice set of Weissenfels for just over £200. I can source a solution that doesn't need any clearance behind the wheel as they bolt onto the wheel nuts (snow tracks) but they're twice as expensive, look complicated, might damage my alloys and I will hardly use them. Since 2006, when we purchased our first AWD car, i have never needed chains with winter tyres.

Thoughts, advice or opinions? Especially folk in colder regions?

Thanks Arianne

·
Registered
421 Posts
I would just suggest to get a winter set of tires and a smaller set of rims. Should be about 2k if you source a set of wheels from ebay that velar owners are getting rid of and a nice set of winter tires and you should be set.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Arianne, I suggest you get some smaller rims with winter tires for the following reasons:
- it seems that winter tires on smaller rims provide slightly better traction
- you protect your nice summer rims from salt and other stuff

Chains on winter tires are a wonderful invention, specially if you drive down a steep road, as the 4x4 will be of no additional service then.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Arianne said:
Hello All,

Can you help? I notice from the manual that JLR say that snowchains can only be fitted to cars with wheel sizes up to & including 20". They don't say why.

I have 21" wheels. I need to buy some snow chains. I wonder if the issue is because, with traditional chains, the clearance between the top inside edge of the tyre wall and the car's suspension is insufficient? Even with reduced snow chain links I need 13-15mm clearance.

I have seen a nice set of Weissenfels for just over £200. I can source a solution that doesn't need any clearance behind the wheel as they bolt onto the wheel nuts (snow tracks) but they're twice as expensive, look complicated, might damage my alloys and I will hardly use them. Since 2006, when we purchased our first AWD car, i have never needed chains with winter tyres.

Thoughts, advice or opinions? Especially folk in colder regions?

Thanks Arianne
Hi Arianne,

I have the same issue. I ordered 4 standards snow chains (2 pairs) to fit my 255 50 r20 tires. and when I tried to install those yesterday night, I discovered that behind the front wheels there is a metallic bracket on top that is very very close to the tire. There is 1 cm gap between this metallic part and the tire itself. Mounting chains would definitely damage the car.

There seem to be more space on the back wheels. But I am not sure.

So there I am now 9 days before going to the alps where there is already a lot of snow (believe me).

I had to send those chains back to the online shop where I bought them. funny thing to do (carrying 2 x 10 kg snow chains to the post office in the morning)

I tried to phone my dealer but of course they are not responding.

eventually I read again the Iguide. And guess what I found . JLR writes under the snow chain section that chains can be installed on car fitted with 18, 19 and 20 rims on the BACK wheels. Of course they do not say that one should NEVER try to put chains on front.

I have always read that SUV should be fitted with chains on the 4 wheels for a proper use.

well I think I will take the risk to drive on the snow with my regular all season (M+S) tires. Anyone tried to use chains only on the rear ?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I wouldn't take all-seasons and risk it. Go get a set of winter tyre and slap them on.

·
Registered
295 Posts
@ Peter and @ mge. Thank you guys for your feedback. My personal case is quite special as the place I am going to is in the neighborhood of briancon in the south French alps and our family house is located in a small village up a mountain at 1500m. To get there you have to go through a forest path that when snowed can be quite tricky. i've driven it a million times with very different types of snow and with different cars too including 2WD and my former AWD FL2 that handled it very well with no chains and all season tires.

The thing is on such a path when icy or on very rare occasion (such as slush snow which our Canadian frriends know well) you need chaining more than winter tires.

Hence I will follow peter's advice and go for the simple way :keep my all season but I'll bring 1 pair of chain for the rear wheels in case of emergency. The idea is of course not to use the chains. :)

So now that I be impulsively shipped back the 2 pairs of chains received yesterday, I shall order 1 new one. Oh well

i will report my snow experience in January if I am still alive :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Folks,

I will admit that it's highly unlikely that we will use our snow chains. I have an AWD Range Rover, brand new Michelin full winter tyres with the little, but all important, mountain snowflake symbol, 8mm tread depth and a snow shovel. In eleven years of owning our previous Volvo XC60 and XC90 we never got the snow chains out of the box. This despite the severe snow of 2010 & 2011 here in Scotland and annual trips to Austria for skiing at Xmas.

However, I hate unnecessary anxiety. Our ski holiday trips to The Alps are designed to be stress free. Having spent £'000 on the Velar, the tyres and the holiday it seems a false economy not to buy some snow chains for truly invulnerable performance in the Alps. Buying them now means the investment is spread across multiple years of ownership so the up front cost is not so hard to stomach.

The challenge is our Velar with 21" rims. Range Rover say chains won't work, even those with reduced size links for limited clearance. The solution has been a set of Easy Spider Spikes. Swiss made, on offer right now at £299 and need no clearance at the back of the wheel because the whole thing is secured on the front. I will mount them on the rear wheels as they will be perfectly placed to provide traction going uphill and grip coming down if conditions are truly wild. The design means there is no contact with the facing of the alloy rim.

They are due to arrive on Friday, 15 December. I will trial fit them over the weekend just to ensure that they are compatible and because you don't want to be doing this stuff for the first time in the dark, at -12c with snow hitting you at 45deg! I will then post an update on this thread.

Best wishes to all.

Arianne

PS. Didn't want a second set of smaller rims. I had this with our last car. It's expensive and the car looks less gorgeous for 5mths of the year when the smaller, winter set is mounted. I specifically chose my alloy rims so they were not the diamond cut variety. Diamond cut alloys look fabulous but are fragile and susceptible to white-worm in winter with the salt. Simple alloy finishes are more robust and can easily be refurbished as and when needed.

·
Registered
295 Posts
@ Arianne,
I will be doing roughly same as you but only with Michelin All season tyres + 1 set of classic snow chains (just in case).
But to be honest I am not keen at all to put chains on rear wheels only. this is kind of nonsense. This is the perfect combination to transform a car in a spinning top
Let's hope our chains will stay in our boot and our tyres all season / or winter together with the fantastic AWD capabilities of the Velar will be sufficient.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@ Ludo,

In the unlikely event I need to use the snow chains it''ll be okay. To make it necessary conditions will need to be really horrific and the gradient very severe. In such conditions nobody in their right mind would be doing much more than 5-10mph.

When I had a FWD car I understood why folk would choose to drive with chains mounted at up to 30mph on snow covered surfaces. The act of fitting and removing chains isnt fun - even the better ones that are self-tensioning or the easy fit ones like mine. So drivers skip from one place to another and try avoiding the need to remove the chains as it's usually the beginning and end of their journeys that are on minor roads, drives etc.

With AWD the chains will just be for the very worst of circumstances. At such a slow speed, the winter tyres on the front will provide the necessary steering while the rear wheels with their chains will give the low speed traction.

Like you, I would be amazed if we need them!

Arianne

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello folks,

The purpose of this post is to provide an initial review for the Swiss made Spikes Spider Easy Sport snow chains.

I have 21" rims and didn't want to buy a second, smaller set of wheels. The trouble is that traditional snow chains, even the reduced link slimline versions, don't fit the Velar with this wheel size on my D300.

So I bought these special ones online from the Roofbox Company. They're a new design and I got them for a reduced introductory £299. They're considerably more elsewhere. They're not really chains but rather a mix of chains and tracks.

So what do I think having spent a few hours this afternoon getting them sorted? Well, I actually think they're great but there's a price to be paid first and I don't mean the £299.

First, the good news and probably the most important bit. Mounting them is a breeze. So much easier than traditional snow chains. The design is ingenious and the quality is excellent. Even the steel links are made of a steel alloy so that they won't rust or discolour. I think I could have both rear wheels complete with the chains within 5mins and installation is such that it wouldn't be an experience to be dreaded, unlike previous chains.

Nothing protrudes around the back of the wheel and so there is no issue with space between the wheel and the running gear on the car. There are two innovative 'caps' the clamp onto two of the five wheel nuts and which ensure nothing touches the front of the alloy rim. Because the chain is mounted on a frame it doesn't get tangled and it's so easy to place over the wheel.

You then just use a little built-in ratchet to tighten it up, jump in and drive off. It's self-tensioning so, when I jumped out to check the installation, it was tight and centred - perfect.

Now, the not-so-good news. Getting to fit correctly took me about 3hrs. This afternoon was freezing and I finished just as it was getting dark. The reason is that the set you receive needs one-time adjustment before the pair will fit. And it ain't fun!

You begin by measuring the length of the two clamps that fasten onto the wheel nuts. That makes sense because each rim design is different and the whole front-face contraption needs to be held clear of the rim and not touch / damage it whatsoever. It's not difficult except for the instructions. They were clearly originally written in Swiss German and the translation into English is clumsy. Anyhow, this only took a few minutes.

The next step is the big one! You see, each pair of chains supplied in the bag can fit a range of tyre sizes with adjustment of up to 220mm radius. They tell you that on the website and, at that point, it is positioned as a virtue since it may allow you to adjust and use the same set when you buy your next car (unlikely but possible). But the downside of this flexibility is that you have to adjust the length / radius of the chain yourself. And it really is trial and error.

On first offering up the chains it was clear they were far too small. I even wondered whether I had been supplied the wrong set and had to check. In reality, I needed to expand the chains significantly and doing so is a repetitive and tiresome affair. Scores of links have to be released by following a certain sequence and then refitted into a different slot.

Having expanded the radius to the maximum available it was possible to fit them over the tyre and try it out. They did tighten up as I drove slowly forward but there was a little too much slack. Under centrifugal force when moving the links get thrown away from the tyre tread and there's a danger they might damage some of the decorative elements of the wheel arch.

So I then embarked upon a series of fine tune adjustment which necessitate repeated mounting before adjusting a few links to get the chain right for the wheel. It takes time.

And then, having achieved a good fit....... I then retreated into my garage, shut the door, turned on the music and sat down in order to create a mirror image of the first chain with the second of the pair. Yawn!

Is there a silver lining? Yes there is. Having mounted and de-mounted the chain more times than I can recall, I am now proficient at it. If I need to use them then, by definition, it will be cold, snowy and probably brewing up for a blizzard. That's not the time to learn this stuff. The time to learn is when your car is on your drive and Mrs A brings out a hot drink, twix and tells you how grateful she is because it makes her feel reassured in the event the weather gets bad in The Alps.

I pity anyone who buys these chains and thinks that, like traditional chains, you can just chuck them in the boot and tackle the job for the first time as and when needed in the snow. With these chains that just won't be possible - you'll be holding a set of chains that, in all probability, won't fit. There's no way you could make the changes in the snow and a lay-by.

However, I am a happy man. Now I have customised my set, they fit perfectly and the design is so innovative that the chains will be really easy to mount forever more. And quick too. Justice for my patience and hard work this afternoon.

I would recommend these if you have the 21" or 22" wheels.

Best wishes.

Arianne

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks Arianne for the detailed report. Another system I could recommend and that does not need any adjustment, would be the "König/ Thule K-Summit XXL Tire Chains". Easy to mount and approximately the same price level.

Wish you a wonderful Christmas time in the alps and looking forward to get your impressions with the Velar on snow.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I drive to the alps in winter with my Z4 and winter tires for over a decade and never needed any chains. Was just their last week with crossing Austria's Fernpass on a fully covered snow road and hard snow fall for 80km, with no problem at all. In a Z4 that is. If you face a problem there, it will be a truck trying its luck on summer or all season tires. And that will stop you no matter what ride you equipped. For an SUV the only place I found in Austria where you need chains is the glacier road in Sölden going up to 3200m. That is mostly used by stuff only in winter. It maybe comes as a surprise, but there are lifts and gondolas to get up there with your snowboard and skis, no need to drive up. All the tourists places are drivable by normal cars with, and that's the point, winter tires. Winter sport resorts like their customers to be able to arrive and to come back. I'm pretty sure that all season tires, besides they are getting better lately, will handle it too. I would recommend to check if all seasons without the snow flake symbol are legal to drive where you plan to go, what I doubt. In Germany at least there are not on snow. Besides the fact that they have really bad breaking performance in summer. Well, since this a British brand I believe all season may be all right for British winters, but for the alps? And what for, to save the money for winter tires? Instead of buying two sets of all season during the ownership, I understood that buying one pair of summer and winter tires is working for me. Well, your mileage may vary.
Probably this respect for snow is a British thing?
Sorry, for pirating this topic to post my winter tires and chains opinion. 😬

·
Registered
79 Posts
Joe - looks like you master very well your Z4 ;-) here in Switzerland we have times where the use of chains or 4x4 is enforced by the police. With 4x4 and winter tires, it is pretty easy to go up even steep roads and tracks. "What goes up, must come down" and thats where I've made my own experiences with heavy cars and today I put on chains for pure safety reasons when going down and for a better breaking. So my recommendation would be to have 2 set of rims/tires for summer and winter - the nice side effect is that you can setup your Velar with different trims and "change" the cars twice a year.

Anyone having experiences with the König/Thule chains?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@ joe.....

Snow and Britain. 1cm and the entire transport system stops, people don't go to work, schools are shut and the country's GDP output sinks to zero.

99% of us here in the UK run Summer tyres all year. Most folk don't even know that All-Season or Winter tyres exist. They have never heard the term Summer tyre since it's the only tyre they know.

I suspect the only real reason that the RR Velar comes with All Season tyres by default on new orders is because Land Rover want to avoid the misery of the Mercedes Benz SUV owners with tyre juddering due to the Ackerman Effect in cold weather on Summer tyres. Just a hunch.

Speaking as someone that doesn't want risk that's avoidable and will be potentially driving a very, very steep single track road to my favourite lunchtime restaurant in the tiny hamlet of Thierbach - I want the security of the chains, the winter tyres and the AWD. Tyroler Grostl anyone?

So Joe, yes we Brits have an odd relationship with snow and ice. It's the Gulf Stream that makes it wet and mild here. But, according to Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear, cars like ours will eventually cause the Gulf Stream to stop or move south. Britain will become like Norway. To which he said "bring it on" (his words not mine). As long as we also get to inherit Norway's Sovereign Wealth Fund then I am cool with that!

Arianne

·
Registered
31 Posts
Arianne said:
Hello folks,

The purpose of this post is to provide an initial review for the Swiss made Spikes Spider Easy Sport snow chains.

I have 21" rims and didn't want to buy a second, smaller set of wheels. The trouble is that traditional snow chains, even the reduced link slimline versions, don't fit the Velar with this wheel size on my D300.

So I bought these special ones online from the Roofbox Company. They're a new design and I got them for a reduced introductory £299. They're considerably more elsewhere. They're not really chains but rather a mix of chains and tracks.

So what do I think having spent a few hours this afternoon getting them sorted? Well, I actually think they're great but there's a price to be paid first and I don't mean the £299.

First, the good news and probably the most important bit. Mounting them is a breeze. So much easier than traditional snow chains. The design is ingenious and the quality is excellent. Even the steel links are made of a steel alloy so that they won't rust or discolour. I think I could have both rear wheels complete with the chains within 5mins and installation is such that it wouldn't be an experience to be dreaded, unlike previous chains.

Nothing protrudes around the back of the wheel and so there is no issue with space between the wheel and the running gear on the car. There are two innovative 'caps' the clamp onto two of the five wheel nuts and which ensure nothing touches the front of the alloy rim. Because the chain is mounted on a frame it doesn't get tangled and it's so easy to place over the wheel.

You then just use a little built-in ratchet to tighten it up, jump in and drive off. It's self-tensioning so, when I jumped out to check the installation, it was tight and centred - perfect.

Now, the not-so-good news. Getting to fit correctly took me about 3hrs. This afternoon was freezing and I finished just as it was getting dark. The reason is that the set you receive needs one-time adjustment before the pair will fit. And it ain't fun!

You begin by measuring the length of the two clamps that fasten onto the wheel nuts. That makes sense because each rim design is different and the whole front-face contraption needs to be held clear of the rim and not touch / damage it whatsoever. It's not difficult except for the instructions. They were clearly originally written in Swiss German and the translation into English is clumsy. Anyhow, this only took a few minutes.

The next step is the big one! You see, each pair of chains supplied in the bag can fit a range of tyre sizes with adjustment of up to 220mm radius. They tell you that on the website and, at that point, it is positioned as a virtue since it may allow you to adjust and use the same set when you buy your next car (unlikely but possible). But the downside of this flexibility is that you have to adjust the length / radius of the chain yourself. And it really is trial and error.

On first offering up the chains it was clear they were far too small. I even wondered whether I had been supplied the wrong set and had to check. In reality, I needed to expand the chains significantly and doing so is a repetitive and tiresome affair. Scores of links have to be released by following a certain sequence and then refitted into a different slot.

Having expanded the radius to the maximum available it was possible to fit them over the tyre and try it out. They did tighten up as I drove slowly forward but there was a little too much slack. Under centrifugal force when moving the links get thrown away from the tyre tread and there's a danger they might damage some of the decorative elements of the wheel arch.

So I then embarked upon a series of fine tune adjustment which necessitate repeated mounting before adjusting a few links to get the chain right for the wheel. It takes time.

And then, having achieved a good fit....... I then retreated into my garage, shut the door, turned on the music and sat down in order to create a mirror image of the first chain with the second of the pair. Yawn!

Is there a silver lining? Yes there is. Having mounted and de-mounted the chain more times than I can recall, I am now proficient at it. If I need to use them then, by definition, it will be cold, snowy and probably brewing up for a blizzard. That's not the time to learn this stuff. The time to learn is when your car is on your drive and Mrs A brings out a hot drink, twix and tells you how grateful she is because it makes her feel reassured in the event the weather gets bad in The Alps.

I pity anyone who buys these chains and thinks that, like traditional chains, you can just chuck them in the boot and tackle the job for the first time as and when needed in the snow. With these chains that just won't be possible - you'll be holding a set of chains that, in all probability, won't fit. There's no way you could make the changes in the snow and a lay-by.

However, I am a happy man. Now I have customised my set, they fit perfectly and the design is so innovative that the chains will be really easy to mount forever more. And quick too. Justice for my patience and hard work this afternoon.

I would recommend these if you have the 21" or 22" wheels.

Best wishes.

Arianne
Arianne, are you still on here?! I am from Canada and just purchased a new P380 HSE... I am leaving on the 27th of dec for a long drive to our cabin on the Shuswap lake, and will be driving the most dangerous highway in North America during winter months .. I have the 10 spoke 21" wheels with 265/45/R21 pirelli Scorpian Zero all season tires, and like you, want something for the rear tires for piece of mind and safety for the misses ... any instal tips for me for these chains you bought if I purchase? I have been looking for something for the 21s but have come across nothing up until your post .. thanks so much!

·
Registered
80 Posts
When I sold my Evoque a few years back, I kept a set of 20" Style 6 Alloy Wheels fitted with Atturo AZ800 255/45R20 M+S tyres (about 5-6mm tread) and a spare set of Michelin 245/45R20 Summer Tyres (about 4mm tread) which I was keeping as a winter set of wheels and tyres for the Velar, however, I have decided not to fit them and would accept £600 (plus postage) for the 8 x tyres and 4 x alloys.

The alloys are kerbed and could do with a refurbishment, however, as a set of winter wheels they would be great.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I would stick with the LR snow traction set 18-20 wheels. There isn't much space under the front arch, and the additional standing height of 21 and 22 wheels makes it a real squeeze.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts