Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a drive in the snow today (not by choice and ended up having to turn back as conditions deteriorated) and I must say I was impressed with how the Velar handled it the ice and snow on the roads. I put the car in "Grass Gravel Snow" mode and it was a joy.

Had to be extra cautious of course, but I didn't suffer from any of the sliding and wheel spinning that I saw many other cars struggling with. Even driving up an icy slip road on a fairly steep slope was light work for the Velar.

Which leads me on to a question:

The salesperson gave me a free voucher for a day's driving experience at Landrover where you get trained on the car's off-road capabilities with driving instructions.

Did everyone get this? Has anyone attended and would recommend it?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
558 Posts
Been on the landrover experience 4 times now and they are truely superb. Which one would you choose? I've shared the 4 between Rockingham and Luton Hoo, Ruth at Luton was brilliant and a really nice person to boot. Infact we have another with her as the disco 5 broke down 45mins before then end and they offered us a freebe.

They do teach you some fantastic stuff, some of which I needed to use today, and it is as much fun as you'll ever have at 7mph.

As for the off road performance, superb. I passed a Volvo XC thingy and a X5 xdrive, both stuck. However I think a lot of it is driver error as both should have been capable Cars, maybe not the xdrive. I had been following the Volvo and they kept braking, momentum is the holy grail when trying to climb slippery surfaces.

Get yourself booked on the experience and try to pick a damp time of year, as the mud and rugs courses at Luton Hoo were truely amazing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the insight. It would be the Luton Hoo experience that I would opt for as it is closest to me and I've been there once before to attend a wedding.

·
Registered
558 Posts
If it's Luton Hoo, ask for Ruth when booking (they will make sure you have her) and when she asks what you want from the experience, I simply said "to have some fun". The mud and ruts courses were brilliant, the manicured area where the hill climbs and stuff were, looked good but the car had died so never got to experience them.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Lucky you in the UK. Not heard of any land rover territtories circuit in france. Shame for us

·
Registered
295 Posts
VelarSam said:
I went for a drive in the snow today (not by choice and ended up having to turn back as conditions deteriorated) and I must say I was impressed with how the Velar handled it the ice and snow on the roads. I put the car in "Grass Gravel Snow" mode and it was a joy.

Had to be extra cautious of course, but I didn't suffer from any of the sliding and wheel spinning that I saw many other cars struggling with. Even driving up an icy slip road on a fairly steep slope was light work for the Velar.

Which leads me on to a question:

The salesperson gave me a free voucher for a day's driving experience at Landrover where you get trained on the car's off-road capabilities with driving instructions.

Did everyone get this? Has anyone attended and would recommend it?

Thanks

May i ask if this successfull snow/ice drive experience was with a velar already equiped with winter tires. Or were you still having all season M+S tires ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was on the standard all season tyres. I'd be very keen to compare with snow tyres vs normal all season tyres one day, although we hardly ever get much snow in the UK so not likely that will ever happen

·
Registered
69 Posts
Part of Landrover "Complimentary Customer Loyalty Programme".
Don't need to wait for vouchers, check online for your nearest venue, ring 0800 655 6465 and book your place.
Unless you're an experienced off-roader, and maybe even then, should be essential if near enough to a centre.
Public road mud and snow needn't be the first time you learn to drive in winter conditions when you've got expert tuition and somebody else's Velar to smash up.

·
Registered
558 Posts
All there Land Rover experience cars are also on standard tyres.

·
Registered
295 Posts
VelarSam said:
It was on the standard all season tyres. I'd be very keen to compare with snow tyres vs normal all season tyres one day, although we hardly ever get much snow in the UK so not likely that will ever happen

Great feedback thanks velarsam. i already had a very convincing snow drive with my former freelander2 equiped with pirelli all season scorpio verde. i suspected what you experienced that velar with all season tires would handle most situations.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Rrvel said:
Part of Landrover "Complimentary Customer Loyalty Programme".
Don't need to wait for vouchers, check online for your nearest venue, ring 0800 655 6465 and book your place.
Unless you're an experienced off-roader, and maybe even then, should be essential if near enough to a centre.
Public road mud and snow needn't be the first time you learn to drive in winter conditions when you've got expert tuition and somebody else's Velar to smash up.
Intersting. i'll give it a try next year thanks for the tip

·
Registered
295 Posts
quig451 said:
I concur here with your assessment. I've been driving on snow for over a month now and it works very well.
Well 1 month on snow in canada, you must be 'wearing' winter tires already, not all season tires?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts