Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With more and more posts being about faults, problems or breakages in the velar has it been released to soon with JLR assuming the styling of it will win over? I have previously come from German cars and never have I seen so many problems with a new release model and I am thinking even though it is such a good looking vehicle that the faults out there are tarnishing its image

·
Registered
201 Posts
I was one of the first ones to get the XC90 2015 and it had many more problems than I am seeing here, moved on to BMW and had some issues, promissed never to go back to JLR with previous experiences with Disco 3, 4 and RRS 2014 (several electrical ones between them). This is my last try with Jlr...well until they release another gem like the Velar, hopefully a nice experience this time

If not will prob try a Porsche next

·
Registered
15 Posts
All new models by large manufacturers suffer teething problems. Seeing the issues here on the forum they are very minor! So far all I see from this forum is very encouraging for a new model. The velar will stand its ground for some time to come. So from what I can see are absolutely sorting out any teething problems! I've been with German brands, the issues were huge, and resolutions slow.

So far there hasn't been any vehicle failures, fires or crash's. Until then I see the velar a success, and hope anyone with any niggles or issues gets them resolved quickly by jlr.

·
Registered
482 Posts
OZ_Velar said:
With more and more posts being about faults, problems or breakages in the velar has it been released to soon with JLR assuming the styling of it will win over? I have previously come from German cars and never have I seen so many problems with a new release model and I am thinking even though it is such a good looking vehicle that the faults out there are tarnishing its image
Speaking as someone who's Velar is currently in the workshop, you may be surprised to learn that I think the Velar is both stylish and well built.

I have said in earlier posts that my experience of the Velar is that the shut lines are tight, there are no rattles (I have driven four different Velars now and they are all the same in the cabin - silent. That's no mean feat when the sound proofing means that ambient cabin noise is low. Manufacturers call this challenge 'draining the pond' - as cabin noise reduces so passengers detect rattles and squeaks in the same way you spot the abandoned shopping trolley when the pond is drained of water!)

We have just two issues with our car. The first is the cyclic rubbing noise from the offside driveshaft and wheel bearing. This is a known issue stemming from the F-Pace and JLR think they have a fix for the Jaguar. Sadly, the diagnosis is taking longer on our Range Rover Velar due to the usual corporate bureaucracy that is common across all big companies. The second is a few minor glitches with the music interface and our USB drive - however, we have found a straightforward workaround for that and it doesn't bother me anymore. More importantly on the audio front, it sounds great :)

Compared to the F-Pace which was launched about 18mths earlier, the Velar is rock solid. The IT on the Jaguar was appalling and many owners still have frequent issues, the build quality was suspect and shut lines irregular. None of this is a common characteristic of Velar ownership.

I couldn't disagree more. I think the car is good and the service we have received from our dealer (Lloyd Group, Kelso) and Amelia at JLR Customer Services first rate. I just hope they can fix the noise from the wheel bearing and then we will have an almost perfect car.

These cars are complex. They all are at this price point nowadays. I think the model has held up well following its launch. I suspect we need to thank the Jaguar F-Pace owners for being our beta testers!

Just my opinion, of course. Others may and will have different views.

Regards

Arianne

·
Registered
534 Posts
mavg1986 said:
If not will prob try a Porsche next
I love Porsche, but they aren't faultless either. I bought a Boxster when the all new one launched for MY13 and it had constant creaking noises..later discovered to be the the front mounted fuel tank rubbing against the sound insulation...design flaw, though fixable.

I traded it for the 2015 Cayman and that had a cylinder misfiring just a few months into ownership with almost no miles. They had to pull the engine to diagnose it. They had my car for like a month. The infotainment system would completely shut off and become inoperable sporadically as well. Rear hatch had massive rattling issues that were mostly mitigated but not completely (the sport suspension certainly doesn't help).

Unless you want to drive something boring like a Toyota/Lexus, these are things we have to deal with it seems. Porsche has fantastic service though, which makes it completely painless; not sure Land Rover is going to be on par.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks - last Porsche I had was a 2006 Boxster which I sold because of bearing concerns...so yes, I get your point :lol:

The Mercedes' I had have always had electrical problems after a few years, and clear propensity for having suspension/breaks issues

The BMWs have been alright actually apart from our first i3 that had some electric issues...The second one has been alright (touch wood)

So far no issues with neither of the X5s I had, although some people are less lucky

In the end of the day we tend to see more issues in Forums than real life, because being passionate about the cars we like to discuss everything around them...

For me what this leaves is fingers well crossed for my delivery this Friday, hopefully a pleasant ownership! ;)

·
Registered
534 Posts
For me, the ICTP has been a complete disaster, but that's strictly a software issue. The rest of the car has been very solid and enjoyable. I hope you enjoy yours too. You must be super excited!

Oh...forgot about Mercedes...they're my favorite. Best car I ever owned from a quality standpoint..but maybe I just got lucky. I don't really care all that much about small quirks though. I had a first gen '05 MINI Cooper S when I was 18 and that thing was full of small issues in the 3 years I owned it, but I loved it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Arianne said:
I have said in earlier posts that my experience of the Velar is that the shut lines are tight, there are no rattles (I have driven four different Velars now and they are all the same in the cabin - silent. That's no mean feat when the sound proofing means that ambient cabin noise is low. Manufacturers call this challenge 'draining the pond' - as cabin noise reduces so passengers detect rattles and squeaks in the same way you spot the abandoned shopping trolley when the pond is drained of water!)
Not to discredit your fantastic (in typical fashion) post, but rattles have started to creep up in mine over time..but so far they're minor.

The first rattle sounds like it's coming from the passenger side b-pillar area. I think it's the window frames rattling (as they don't seem to seal against the frame very tight at that particular point. This only happens over potholes, etc so it's very infrequent. I put a small foam strip where the doors meet the pillar and I think it's mostly stopped.

The second rattle was the rear hatch. Over bumps and large expansion strips I can hear the rear hatch rattle a bit. I bought some felt pads and applied them at the point where the hatch's rubber stoppers meet the frame. It actually seems to have silenced it. The mid-mounted speaker grilles (the aluminum ones) on the doors rattle with certain frequencies in music as well. I'm trying to figure out how to remedy the problem, but I'm sure it can be fixed.

These are very minor rattles, but they're there. I'm OCD about this stuff and notice everything unfortunately.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mine is very solid as well, no creaks or rattles yet. One of my door handle covers is a bit loose and the front plastic blade thing at the bottom of the front bumper is sort of loose. Seems like sloppy assembly and nobody inspected those things. Also when the hatch is opening all the way or about to close it can wobble a bit which looks sort of cheap. Our Audi SQ5 is so precise when the hatch opens and closes and it was much less expensive. None of my 4 Audi's had any loose trim for example.

On one hand it's obvious they chose some weak hardware to power the upper touchscreen as it's so laggy but on the other hand this system is a massive step forward and perfectly usable except for the Incontrol apps which seem like bonus features to me. This is their "1.0" and they will iterate and get it right over time. It's not easy at all to create these touch screen systems. They're not Apple. The first Tesla model S I sat in had a completely horrendous UI on their big touchscreen. I was shocked how ugly it was. It has gotten miles better over the last few years.

Still, I'd choose a Land Rover easily over something like a Lexus because I love their design and that is the most important criteria for me. Most SUV's and cars out there are so boring. I kept my Sport for 7 years and it was great so I'm expecting this Velar to be at least the same or better.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Andrew, spot on....very few cars at this moment will be good enough for me to swap my 2016 X5.....with the announcements of X5's new shape coming out sooner than expected I looked around and the Velar was an easy choice, very easy actually.

The Cayenne is a hit and miss and until I see it in person not sure tbh, pictures are awful. The Macan has a nice feel to it, but not special enough yet...I think it will be with the facelift with new interior and new rear design...so I will keep my judgment for that

Apart from that, Lexus RX won't even make to the top 10...I've had a CT which was lovely and well built but as boring as it gets to drive

I am hoping for a long "partnership" with the Velar

·
Registered
482 Posts
KRG said:
mavg1986 said:
haha I can see how important they are to you!!Especially if you are finding ways to remediate this issues yourself :)
I know...I'm crazy haha
KRG, I get where you are coming from although it's reassuring to know there are others as sensitive to cabin noises as me!

My XC90 had an annoying quiet rattle. Sounded like it was coming from just behind the dashboard, driver's side. But only at over 100mph. Hence, I would forget about it until going through Germany on holiday. Dealer couldn't do anything as they couldn't road test it at 100mph in the UK.

So I tracked it down myself. A loose cable plastic conduit in the engine bay by the bulkhead. At high speed, the plastic knocked against the bulkhead and drove me nuts. Insulation tape did the job strapping it down.

This Velar is probably the first car I have owned without rattles, buzzing or squeaks. Long may it continue! Assuming I get my car back - I certa8bly hope so.

Best wishes,

Arianne

·
Registered
112 Posts
mavg1986 said:
Andrew, spot on....very few cars at this moment will be good enough for me to swap my 2016 X5.....with the announcements of X5's new shape coming out sooner than expected I looked around and the Velar was an easy choice, very easy actually.

The Cayenne is a hit and miss and until I see it in person not sure tbh, pictures are awful. The Macan has a nice feel to it, but not special enough yet...I think it will be with the facelift with new interior and new rear design...so I will keep my judgment for that

Apart from that, Lexus RX won't even make to the top 10...I've had a CT which was lovely and well built but as boring as it gets to drive

I am hoping for a long "partnership" with the Velar
My only advice is to make sure you are ok with the smaller size of the Velar compared to the X5. I looked at the numbers compared to my RRS1 and didn't think it would be a big deal, and it didn't bother me on the test drive. But after a couple months I find I'm missing something bigger. But I also am rational and know that being more car like means it handles really well because of physics. Still, after this I will go for the FF or next gen Sport. Do I regret picking up the Velar FE? Absolutely not. It's a very nice change of pace and a pleasure to drive every day.

I watched a nice review of the new Cayenne on youtube (Autogefuhl?) and it looks like it's wonderful to drive but I can't get excited about it or the Macan. I know that they would satisfy my power needs. I guess ultimately I'm ok with the fact that the Velar is not the fastest, not the cheapest, not the most reliable (statistically) but the most complete package of comfort, luxury and design for me.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Agreed. On paper the Velar will never win but for me it it fits like a glove and I think it's the coolest suv I've ever seen. It has some sort of emotionally draw that nothing else in the class does...for me at least. I love everything about it. You understandably miss certain things about the Sport, but I bet if you jumped back into one you'd find a lot you'd miss about the Velar as well. They both offer something unique to the class, and it sounds like you can appreciate both for different reasons which is great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.