Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone spec'd the summer tyre option for their delivery? I am in Australia and for 90% of use and climate i think they would be a better performing tyre, do they differ much from what comes standard? Will be on 22" wheels

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yes I have spec'd summer tires but on the 20". I think if I am not mistaken on the 22's you are going to be getting PIRELLI P ZEROs. It is a good tire but there are better tires on the market. Sadly for the 22" you are limited to that one summer tire. If you want an all season tire in that size, a good alternative is the Continental Extremecontact DWS 06.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I specced all-season tyres as I want to have maximum all-weather ability, even though the worst we'll see here in Sydney is the occasional light hail :)

I'm hoping it will also be quieter than summer tyres especially when making tight turns; the Mercedes GLC is notorious for having severe juddering issues under full lock with summer tyres (official dealer fix is to fit all-seasons)

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you are going to run all season tires, best to switch to the Continental Extremecontact DWS 06. These are amazing tires. I am planning on running a separate winter and summer setup but if I were to do all season tires or otherwise known as no season tires :lol: i would go for the Continental Extremecontact DWS 06. There is very limited selection of tire choice as you get to 21" and 22"

·
Registered
534 Posts
I strongly considered summer tires, as I live in the southern US and have been running summer tires exclusively for the last several years. But this time I stuck w/ the all seasons. Hoping they're a bit more comfortable...and the added benefits of summer rubber would be less realized on an SUV anyway.

·
Registered
421 Posts
OEM Equipment

For 19"
255/55R19
Summer - PIRELLI P ZERO
All Season - Unknown

For 20"
255/50R20
Summer - PIRELLI P ZERO
All Season - PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON

For 21"
265/45R21
Summer - Unknown
All Season - Unknown

For 22"
265/40R22
Summer - PIRELLI P ZERO
All Season - PIRELLI SCORPION ZERO ALL SEASON

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've had Macan loaners with the Scorpians and never had a complaint, so I'll be good with those for now. I'll switch to something better eventually.

·
Registered
41 Posts
mge.92 said:
For 20"
255/50R20
Summer - PIRELLI P ZERO
All Season - PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON
Just comparing these 2:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P+Zero&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=55WR0P0XL&tab=Sizes
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+Verde+All+Season&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=55WR0SVASXL&tab=Sizes

P Zero has 220 treadwear, Scorpion Verde has 600! Not sure if you can compare treadwear ratings across tyre categories, but that's a big difference.

Scorpions are also 30%+ more expensive, which explains why summer tyres are a no-cost option.

If I had a P380 and no other performance car in my garage I might consider them though :p

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spoke to the dealer yesterday and switched over to summer tyres which will be more beneficial for use that it will get. On the 22" you get the P Zero or the Scorpion Zero if you go all season which look cheaper than the P zero

Tyre rack have the velar listed with tyre options now

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=4&autoMake=Land Rover&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Range+Rover+Velar&autoModClar=&width=265%2F&ratio=40&diameter=22&sortCode=61443&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=H&minLoadRating=XL

·
Registered
41 Posts
OZ_Velar said:
I spoke to the dealer yesterday and switched over to summer tyres which will be more beneficial for use that it will get. On the 22" you get the P Zero or the Scorpion Zero if you go all season which look cheaper than the P zero
Summer tyres for the appearance I can understand, but what are the other benefits of summer tyres over all-seasons? Road noise? Grip for safety reasons e.g. stopping distances? Mileage in our hot Aussie weather? (despite the massive difference in treadwear rating)

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
chylld said:
OZ_Velar said:
Summer tyres for the appearance I can understand, but what are the other benefits of summer tyres over all-seasons? Road noise? Grip for safety reasons e.g. stopping distances? Mileage in our hot Aussie weather? (despite the massive difference in treadwear rating)
Yes the summer tyres benefit more for all the factors you listed, being road noise, grip, stopping etc and even mileage from reviews I just read on tire rack. I might go to the snow once a year but all other driving here summer tyres are far superior

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm mainly curious about the actual reasons why they're better in warm climates.

I've had P Zeros before and the wet grip was atrocious by the time they were half worn. The Velar will be mainly for carting kids, gear and shopping around, so I would rather have more consistency between dry grip and wet grip than outright dry performance.

That said I'm still interested in what other benefits summer tyres have.

edit: just saw your post OZ_Velar. Very interesting, will consider it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yeah the P Zero's are not that great of a tire. That's why I am fine driving them for a while and chucking them out getting some winters on and then when spring rolls around getting a better set of tires. I wish Land Rover would offer wheel sizes that tire manufacturers actually would produce for lol.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
chylld ask your dealer to send you the vista sheet as that will have the exact build date as well as last change date in the system, i got mine to send it to me as it was September build with late July change cut off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts