Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Not sure if this has been covered but anyone know why the sunroof blind opens when I turn the car on? Are there setting a to change it? It's a fixed panoramic sunroof

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
534 Posts
Pretty sure if I manually open the blind at any time, it gets into a cycle of closing when I turn the car off and reopening when I turn it back on. If I manually close it, it stays closed and doesn't open when I start the car.

Basically:

If it's open when you turn the car off, it will close and reopen when restarted.

If it's closed when you turn the car off, it stays closed.

·
Registered
482 Posts
^^ that's correct. It's an excellent design when you realise what the designers intended.

Have it closed when you shut the car down and it'll stay closed when you restart it.

Open it and leave it open when you turn the car off and it will automatically close after a few minutes of the car being locked, but automatically reopen when you jump in and restart the car.

Brilliant!

Arianne

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info, however I have a follow up question. Is there a way to have the sun blind not close itself when you lock the car? It must spank the battery all this opening/closing, if your doing a short journey - so would be good to know if you can stop it. I did ask the dealer, but no one seems to know.

·
Registered
482 Posts
brownis said:
Thanks for the info, however I have a follow up question. Is there a way to have the sun blind not close itself when you lock the car? It must spank the battery all this opening/closing, if your doing a short journey - so would be good to know if you can stop it. I did ask the dealer, but no one seems to know.
No, it is pre-programmed. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the battery. But, if you are, the workaround would be to manually close it yourself via the button before you shut the engine down.

Arianne

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the guidance - my previous RRS seemed to suffer from the battery management system constantly warning about the battery being low, hence the question, perhaps newer software/design might mean the sun blind isn't an issue - let's see. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think it's an annoying and crazy feature. It serves no purpose and puts extra wear on the motors. Also quite noisy when you start the car up .... when you do a series of short journeys it really grates. Doesn't do it on my wife's Discovery Sport .....

·
Registered
8 Posts
KRG said:
Pretty sure if I manually open the blind at any time, it gets into a cycle of closing when I turn the car off and reopening when I turn it back on. If I manually close it, it stays closed and doesn't open when I start the car.

Basically:

If it's open when you turn the car off, it will close and reopen when restarted.

If it's closed when you turn the car off, it stays closed.
I've found this to be correct.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also thought it would put extra wear on the motors...so I reset the sunroof (see manual) and then opened the blind and held it until it made a sound. Now it only opens and closes when you press the button.

·
Registered
384 Posts
425Velar said:
I also thought it would put extra wear on the motors...so I reset the sunroof (see manual) and then opened the blind and held it until it made a sound. Now it only opens and closes when you press the button.
Can you please explain? How did you do it? Dow does it work? Thanks :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, it works.

Sunroof Reset (from manual):
SUNROOF RESET

Make sure that the conditions listed below are met before carrying out the sunroof and/or roof blind reset procedure:

The ambient air temperature is between 5°C to 65°C.

The vehicle is stationary.

The vehicle's battery is sufficiently charged and the electrical connections are good.

The sunroof and/or roof blind need to be reset if the battery is disconnected, becomes discharged, or the power supply is interrupted.

Once the power supply is restored, reset the sunroof and/or roof blind as follows:

Switch the ignition on.

Manually close the sunroof and/or roof blind. Release the switches. See ELECTRIC WINDOWS.

WARNING
Before closing the sunroof, make sure that no occupants have any part of their body in a position where it could be trapped. Even with an anti-trap system, death or serious injury could occur.

Fully press and hold the front of the sunroof switch for 10 seconds to start the reset cycle. Continue to hold the front of the sunroof switch.

NOTES
For vehicles with a fixed sunroof, press and hold the front of the roof blind switch.

NOTES
If the switch is released, then the whole procedure has to be repeated.

The reset cycle:

Fully opens the roof blind.

Fully opens and then fully closes the sunroof.

NOTES
Not applicable for vehicles with a fixed sunroof.

Fully closes the roof blind.

WARNING
The anti-trap system is disabled during the reset cycle. Make sure that no occupants have any part of their body in a position where it could be trapped.

Once the reset cycle has completed and the roof blind has stopped moving, release the switch.

The sunroof and/or the roof blind can now be operated as normal.

Once complete, I opened the blind all the way, and held it for 10 seconds. Now it opens and closes, as needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It works perfect! After the reset following the instructions, it doesn't close nor open automatically at engine stop/start, it just reacts to your manual command to open or close when you want it to.

Thanks @425Velar
Alvaro

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've recently collect d my Velar and find the auto-close feature on the sunroof blind very annoying. I want the car to leave the sunroof blind as is until I press the appropriate button to close or open it.

I've followed the reset procedure outlined by @425Velar above, however when executing that procedure, the one-touch open / close feature for the sunroof (not the blind) is disabled.

Has anyone had success at disabling the auto-close sunroof blind WHILST retained the one touch open / close to the sunroof itself?

I've got my local dealer on to this and am hoping they willl find a fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Currently there is no way for a customer to disable just the Auto Blind function on a Velar. This is possible on other Land Rover models, for example Discovery 5, Range Rover Sport and Range Rover. On those models there is a menu option in the navigation system screen under climate, but it is not a user configurable option for Velar. Land Rover have their reasons I'm sure. :?

If you are feeling brave you can change the vehicle configuration options to disable the function this, but you will need a detailed knowledge of the vehicles diagnostics and have the ability to generate hex files. :ugeek:

Good luck.

·
Registered
143 Posts
brownis said:
Thanks for the guidance - my previous RRS seemed to suffer from the battery management system constantly warning about the battery being low, hence the question, perhaps newer software/design might mean the sun blind isn't an issue - let's see. Appreciate the help.
Yeah the BMS is very over cautious.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think that auto-closing the sunblind is a good feature, especially when you live in a Sunny country. This helps to avoid the temperature in the car to raise insanely should you forget to close the sunblind. With this feature you do not have to think about it anymore.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think if you manually close the blind before switching the car off it won't open next time you enter and start the car. To restore auto open, open the blind before turning the car off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.