Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time buyer of Range Rover. My last two new cars were Porsche Macan and Boxster. With Porsche both cars were immaculately prepared, in the showroom and under a cover (bit OTT with the cover but adds a bit of drama!). A photograph was taken of us proudly standing by our new car and presented in a holder before we left (also flowers for wife and miniture bottles of gin for me). With Land Rover, the paper filling took over an hour, the car had the wrong registration plate and was incorrect on all of the paperwork. The car was poorly prepared with dirt on the dashboard, dry water marks on the body, bits of protection film left on the car. The sales guy was embarrassed and tried cleaning bits himself but I ended up detailing the car myself when I got home before I showed it off. In all honesty, my Macan was detailed by me far better when I sold it when it was 6 months old. To make up for it they did provide me with a bottle of champagne and offered to Valet my car for free when I wanted. No doubt they are hoping I will fill in the usual customer feedback form favourably. If I don't I suspect it will affect my relationship with them if I have any issues with the car. What do people think?

In terms of the car itself, I have to say that I am delighted with the soft suspension (spring not air) I was worried that it would be like the FPace which I tested and found to firm. Also, I didn't realise that the rear seats have electric adjustment to recline the backrest - kids love this.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I am sorry to hear that your delivery experience was poor. I too have run into an issue with delivery but my dealership has drilled the front bumper when I told them multiple times not to. I will say having learned from my previous car that not to let the dealerships detail the car and thus I requested all wrapping and covers stay on and instead take it to get professionally cleaned and then wrapped with ppf. Apart from that I have had a wonderful experience with my dealership but I must say compared to my previous experience with BMW, BMW buying process is a lot smoother and of a better standard. Well hopefully you can enjoy your new velar and just chalk up the experience as a little bump in a hopefully amazing time experiencing a new car and all that the velar has to offer.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had the same thing with my FE. Very clearly specified what number plates I wanted (NO drilling I said) but turned up to find the wrong plates fitted, and both bolted on! Had a bit of a row actually. It took my 23 yr old an hour to run through things, but it was in no way like a BMW/Porsche handover. Made me wonder about full-fat Range Rover owners turning up with a £120,000 bill paid and getting similar bad service. But, at the end of the day, the sales people scrape by on almost nothing and the monotony of it must be soul destroying. I couldn't wait to get away and get my car home, there to work things out for ourselves. Found some mud on the way home to de-tart the wheels of the awful tyre paint and throw away the terrible delivery mats. Who wants to look like some road tart showing off to the locals lol !!

·
Registered
534 Posts
I don't know if Porsche has better customer service in the UK, but I've purchased 2 in the last 4 years from two different dealers and I didn't find the delivery experience to be anything special either time. Service hasn't been great either...and that's from a very highly regarded major dealer. I had better luck with Mercedes (probably the best quality car and ownership experience I've had thus far). BMW dealers tend to suck here too. Arrogant. It will be interesting to experience Land Rover. I have no idea what I'm getting myself into.

I've told them not to drill holes for the front plate as well...they better not!

·
Registered
35 Posts
My dealer Farnell Chesterfield were brill with hand over and can't compliment them enough. No discount or freebies well two bottles of wine. But they kept on saying when LR phone up tell them all that was explained etc on hand over and got phone today with checking all ok and let LR when they call know the dealer had phoned 24hrs later etc. LR have a poor reputation with customers and surveys and are trying to get better as product is good but backup mostly poor!!

·
Registered
449 Posts
We picked up 4 BMWs in the BMW World in Munich and this experience can't be topped! So we have almost no expectations on a dealership delivery. Just google the BMW World for some pictures and it will blow you away.
JLR go and pick up any BMW there and lean! This is the one to beat.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Bought 4 cars from Marshall Landrover Cambridge, always dealt with a chap called Robin, always had fantastic faultless service, last evoque we had flowers, bottle of chateau in a fancy box, Land Rover umbrella, model of the car we had bought, mug, key rings and video and presented photo. We were over the moon and didn't expect it. It's a there service department are the worse I have ever had the mispleasure of dealing with, incompetence beyond incompetence.... words cannot describe!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Forgive my ignorance but what's the big deal with drilling on plates? Does it hurt the car? :lol:

The front plates in the UK are usually on a plinth which is pre-drilled in to the front bumper from factory.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Have had a fabulous delivery experience at Guy Salmon- the car was immaculately prepared and in excellent condition. The paperwork did take an hour but a lot of that is down to new rules and procedures required by the FCA.

The car was delivered with a Land Rover gift - a huge hamper of artisanal British treats - fudge, shortbread, biscuits, marmalade and wine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too had some treats when collecting my car last week. A chip on the door pillar, dirty marks on the drivers door card and side of seat, dirty seat cushion, car not particularly clean and a 360 parking aid that doesn't work! Emailed the customer care manager who seemed to infer that buying a car through a broker didn't have as much worth as buying through the dealer.
Thanks Listers Droitwich!!🤬

·
Registered
146 Posts
I got £10000 of my new velar so I didt expect anything for free although I got a full tank, but I agree they don't valeting crazy on their new cars at the LR dealership. My experience with BMW is that of what I expect for a secondhand car lot with lots of flags outside.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.