Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I have had a go, verdict, alright, but not amazing. It was a Velar SE 240D, I have an Rdynamic on order with a P250 engine, so not ideal. Whilst it was a Velar, it was specd up to an unbelievable £80K , so far from base. Engine was good, lots of torque and no slouch. The car was on air not springs and to me felt like a luxury Transit. I will quality that by saying I drive a Audi A 7 3.0 V6, so it was very different. I expected the feel to be more taught and car like, but it felt a bit like an RRS quick, but does not feel quick and is a bit overweight and not very engaging. After all it is an RR so I should not be surprised by this, but it is billed as a dynamic vehicle and it felt a but too limo. I then drove an Evoque with a similar petrol engine to my order and I felt more at home, the car was on springs so that probably helped. It might be a better drivers car on springs, if not I am prepared to sacrifice my place in the que and the very very nice tech for a Porsche Macan V 6, which is £7K cheaper. It was not a disappointment that would be too strong a word, but not what I was expecting, it could be that I'm not used to the SUV experience. If you are however, then it then it will be a nice refined well equipped car for you. If however you want to throw it about a bit from time to time then on air, you will be sea sick.

I was the first person to drive the demo and I asked if they had lots of people queuing to have a go and was told they had nobody else lined up. This was I feel due to the odd marketing strategy, as the press are being kept away and I guess all of you out there itching to drive one have not been told by dealers they are sitting there waiting you. I found out because they called to tell me I had to fix my spec tomorrow for estimated delivery on 29 September.. So I asked if I could drive one and this was arranged. Call your dealers they are all in showroom and registered as of today. Enjoy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was on 21s they all seem to be on 21s clearly RR think they look better, which they do imo. Went through all modes. Dynamic was noticeably quicker, but not noticeably more taught.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Indeed, thx.

Regarding the "throw it around a bit ... " bit I have the same experience last week: https://www.velarforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=165 . There was quite a bit of body roll in Sport/Dynamic mode, I didn't customize anything though (Dynamic-I menu), so maybe a change in the suspension menu option will take care of the rough "roll" edges.

I think the driving characteristic take some getting used too compared to your current cars (in my case the nimble, fast en sometimes jumpy Evoque) as always.

@PPC, what are your thought about the finish, materials and building quality?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Happy with the quality the tech was excellent although you will constantly be wiping the touchscreens fingerprints everywhere. Also, it was very sunny so glare was a bit of a problem on reverse camera. SE stereo was very good. Left alone with time to tailor configurations then you could improve things. Not so easy on a test drive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KRG yes I did confirm the spec, however this was on the basis that can walk away from it right up until the moment of delivery. If they can get me in a P250 on springs before it comes and I love it I will go through with it. Although none of my local dealers seem to have a P 250 on Coil suspension and do not know when they will. It is odd in my view to offer a car in different specs and not make them available for customers to try.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My wait is finally over, I've driven the Velar D300 HSE Dynamic.
A total different driving experience to my previous D4, but very comparable with the RRS.

The interior is very plesent and comfortable, however the 30 minuite test drive wasn't nearly enough time to understand the new technology.

Driving down country lanes the Velar was very nimble, but on the motorway it's likely to add points to your liecence !
Thankfully the heads up display helps monitor the speed, because 90mph feels a lot like 60. :eek:

I'm looking forward to reading the motoring press opinions next week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts