Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of the bodywork on the Velar is Narvik Black - this is a flat non metallic black and is the same stuff used on the black sections of the Range Rover Sport and Evoque (around the window area). The Velar has this on the bottom parts of the front and rear bumpers and also the mirrors. Further more if you opt for the black pack or black roof they will be using Narvik Black again.

On every RRS and Evoque I have seen these black areas are swirl marked (minor scratches) like crazy and under sunlight they look ridiculous. I have no idea why JLR decided to use so much of this stuff on the velar - to say I am worried how this narvik black stuff will keep up is an understatement :shock:

·
Registered
421 Posts
First thing to do when I get the car is to get it wrapped in Xpel Stealth. Solves your issue :lol:

·
Registered
171 Posts
It really depends on the cars, i saw the Velar at the weekend and looked and had no swirls at all, my Fpace has some but not much and a quick bit of detailing and they were gone, if you want swirl free then get the car detailed and ensure you go through a certain way of washing your car with certain products otherwise your just bring them back or make them worse.

Contact a car detailer local to you, they will be able to advise you of costs and products they use and recommend.

Me i use Meguairs products.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. All my cars get get Ceramic coated with Gtechniq Crystal Serum and are professionally looked after by a valeter (two bucket method, proper mitts et al) however the swirls are inevitable on those plastic bits. No he is not inept as there is not a swirl in sight on my other cars however when you look at the black bits on the Evoque and RRS under sunlight they are terrible! A good polish gets them out but they soon return...not sure what JLR were thinking to be using these on bumpers...!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Is this stuff somehow more scratch prone than any other black vehicle?

My entire car is Narvik....so the bumpers will be the least of my worries anyway. :lol:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Narvik black is very scratch prone. It's not a metallic paint and hence very soft. A dirty cloth gliding over it is enough to cause swirls or minor scratches. Like I said - pop in to a dealership and look at any of the cars in the forecourt outside in the sun - look around the window panes - the black you see there is Narvik Black.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The black trim on my Evoques was terrible for this, but BMW and Mini suffer as well.

Even with the GTechnic professional detailing/coating and using a Blaster Dryer (no drying towels for me) the plastic trim still scratched.

I did approach JLR, and 3M via my detailer for Venture Shield or something similar. No joy, I guess the best solution would be to take the car from new to a very good wrapping company and have the work done straight away.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I will let you guys know how it goes. Had the black trim on my BMW X3 wrapped and it did wonders from stopping the scratching. Planning on doing a stealth xpel wrap for the new velar and will post pictures.

·
Registered
171 Posts
mge.92 said:
I will let you guys know how it goes. Had the black trim on my BMW X3 wrapped and it did wonders from stopping the scratching. Planning on doing a stealth xpel wrap for the new velar and will post pictures.

Sounds very nice, seen many cars with a matt finish with this to protect them.

·
Registered
421 Posts
***NEW UPDATE**

RANGE ROVER VELAR - R-DYNAMIC BLACK PACK EXHAUST FINISHER UPDATE (PA0292)
Please be advised that there has been a change in the content of the R-Dynamic Black Pack which is available on Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic models.
When the R-Dynamic Black Pack is selected with D300 and P380 engines, it includes integrated exhaust finishers in the rear bumper. The finish of these exhaust finishers has been changed from Narvik Black to Stainless Steel from Job#1.
We are currently in the process of updating marketing materials to reflect the revised fitment, including Configurator, Brochure and Specification & Price Guides.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That would look better IMHO as it is the differential between these and the lower models so having them in black just makes them invisible so they look like a lesser model! Good move JLR!

·
Registered
421 Posts
But since you got the black pack why would you want the only things not blacked out on the car to be the tail pipe exhaust ?? Doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think it's for the exact reason I stated above - the square exhaust finishers have become sort of a Velar status symbol distinguishing it from a lesser model so making these black means they are not very visible.

·
Registered
421 Posts
GEE said:
Looks like I'll going to get my black roof ppf'd.

I'm in two minds if I should bother with the black side skirts though.
Might as well do the entire car at that point :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts