Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone -

I'm about to take delivery of my P380 HSE Byron Blue SE tomorrow (which I ordered early oct). Some last minute questions as I drove my new beauty!

1. What's it like to use the electronics day-to-day? No doubt they look beautiful. But day to day do you get tired of the look? Do you wish you had real knobs? Or still loving the interface?

2. What are some of your favorite setups? ie do you leave the screens in any particular format? struck me maybe cool to have the map on the center console, music on the upper, and of course car diags on the bottom or maybe turn that screen off if setting stable

3. I'm worried about cell phone interaction with car. I take a lot of calls in the car, and like to play a lot of music from phone. What's the best practice here? I do love using Apple music and like pandora. would you just keep the phone wireless or use cigarette plug to charge? or plug in and use hands free (or is that too buggy?). Would you use Pandora downloadable app in the Velar or via phone? how to handle apple music?

4. Last, do you have satellite radio and att sim, or one or the other? plusses and minuses to each?

Thx! Much appreciate perspective, thoughts, ideas here.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hey there!

1. I love the interface. I've never once wished I had real knobs. I haven't had any issues using the touchscreens...The menus are easy to use and quick.

2. I have my digital driver display set to have the navigation map between the two gauges, I find it least distracting there vs looking over at the center stack. I leave the upper center screen on my home screen which shows the road I'm currently on, song info, and access to my phone for quick calling. The lower screen I usually just leave on climate control, but I cycle through it to adjust the seats, drive mode, etc. It's very quick. The upper screen is slower. I typically change music tracks via the steering wheel controls. They take some getting used to...you need to push them forcefully to get them to work properly...but no real issues.

3. The wired usb interface is too spotty for me....I can't use it. Bluetooth, however, has been good. I keep the phone wireless and stream Apple Music constantly. Works fine. Album art from Apple Music doesnt work over Bluetooth for me, that's the only downfall. The in control apps you can download (like pandora and Spotify) only work with the wired usb interface so I don't use them. I just start my Apple Music on my phone and stream via Bluetooth. It's not the most integrated nor seamless solution, but it's the only one that works effortlessly for me right now. Hopefully a software update improves this.

4. I don't know if I have sat radio...never even looked. Is it not standard? I don't used it. I do have an AT&T sim. It came with the car and was preactivated. Not sure if this is the case with all Velar? It works well...I haven't had any issues with live services, though others have.

I'll try to get a pic of my screen setup over the weekend. Good luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ok I'm going to give my honest opinion to a couple of your 4 questions. Regarding the lower touchscreen with the vehicle, climate, seats, and settings tabs -- there is a novelty factor and coolness about it for the first week or so and then for me it now seems sort of neutral. Not worse than physical buttons, but not a time saver either. Some minor adjustments might even take more time. But overall I like it. Sometimes when I see a traditional car with the arrays of physical buttons they almost look old school already to me. So if I had to choose, I'd take the touchscreen but it's not amazing. In theory LR could push updates and improvements which you can never do for the life of a vehicle with physical buttons but I'm skeptical they ever will. the flat black slab definitely adds to the coolness of this beautiful interior.

The top screen for media, phone, nav, and all the others is what you would find in any car now although many are still not touch. It's useable but I'm disappointed with the sluggish performance. Trying to turn on the surround cameras is annoyingly slow especially when you're trying to park quickly. Overall though for me it's a big leap forward compared to my old 2010 Sport. So I'm fairly happy with it.

For my iPhone, I use a Belkin cupholder stand and angle the phone up toward my face and FaceID works perfectly. Only connect through bluetooth and once in a while charge it with the lightning cable but usually don't need to. It works fine. music sounds awesome through Spotify. So I basically have 4 screens facing me. :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
andrewhargreaves said:
Ok I'm going to give my honest opinion to a couple of your 4 questions. Regarding the lower touchscreen with the vehicle, climate, seats, and settings tabs -- there is a novelty factor and coolness about it for the first week or so and then for me it now seems sort of neutral. Not worse than physical buttons, but not a time saver either. Some minor adjustments might even take more time. But overall I like it. Sometimes when I see a traditional car with the arrays of physical buttons they almost look old school already to me. So if I had to choose, I'd take the touchscreen but it's not amazing. In theory LR could push updates and improvements which you can never do for the life of a vehicle with physical buttons but I'm skeptical they ever will. the flat black slab definitely adds to the coolness of this beautiful interior.

The top screen for media, phone, nav, and all the others is what you would find in any car now although many are still not touch. It's useable but I'm disappointed with the sluggish performance. Trying to turn on the surround cameras is annoyingly slow especially when you're trying to park quickly. Overall though for me it's a big leap forward compared to my old 2010 Sport. So I'm fairly happy with it.

For my iPhone, I use a Belkin cupholder stand and angle the phone up toward my face and FaceID works perfectly. Only connect through bluetooth and once in a while charge it with the lightning cable but usually don't need to. It works fine. music sounds awesome through Spotify. So I basically have 4 screens facing me. :)
Just curious...does album art work when streaming from Spotify? I'm wondering if it's an issue with Apple Music or just the Velar's Bluetooth interface in general.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Love the screens, early in for me but find them no harder or distracting than buttons. Spotify through incontrol is great and my personal choice. If I need sat nav I have it on full drivers display and once the car is set to how I want it I black the other screens out.

Oh and album art works via spotify

·
Registered
534 Posts
Milky400 said:
Love the screens, early in for me but find them no harder or distracting than buttons. Spotify through incontrol is great and my personal choice. If I need sat nav I have it on full drivers display and once the car is set to how I want it I black the other screens out.

I meant via bluetooth. Album art works from all sources when the phone is plugged in, but not over bluetooth in any capacity. I downloaded Spotify this morning and got the same result.

So you haven't had connectivity issues with usb or in-control apps? Wow. That's great if so.

·
Registered
52 Posts
KRG said:
Milky400 said:

I meant via bluetooth. Album art works from all sources when the phone is plugged in, but not over bluetooth in any capacity. I downloaded Spotify this morning and got the same result.

So you haven't had connectivity issues with usb or in-control apps? Wow. That's great if so.
I very rarely get album art when streaming Spotify over Bluetooth from my iPhone. Occasionally the very first song will show a picture of the artist (not the album picture, just a generic picture) with the song and album name but from song two onwards nothing, no picture or song/album info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
534 Posts
garymontague said:
I very rarely get album art when streaming Spotify over Bluetooth from my iPhone. Occasionally the very first song will show a picture of the artist (not the album picture, just a generic picture) with the song and album name but from song two onwards nothing, no picture or song/album info.
Yeah, that's what I get too. The generic pics are being pulled from some database by the car..I need to disable that somehow..it's tacky.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Spotify over Bluetooth - no album artwork or song names, very glitchy.
Apple Music over Bluetooth - flawless operation

Spotify and Apple music plugged in via USB cable - flawless operation

my experiences.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thx all for the comments. Got the Velar today and LOVE it surprise surprise!

On the electronics, i have found the system surprisingly easy to use and intuitive.

iPhone X sync'd via Bluetooth 1st time no prob. Apple Music works flawlessly and the album art on bottom screen is very nice touch and super cool. Again no sporty music just buttery smooth. Voice phone calls work perfectly just no problems at all in first 3 hours and about 30 miles. Haven't tried usb connection what can it do that wireless can't other than charge? It seems to be broken function so haven't tried it yet

Played w the nav. Screen beautiful map fast clear easy to use. Addresses easy to enter best bag system I've used. Did notice the same login / password for remote app don't work for map app not if need to wait until tomorrow or setup separate password. Can't wait to test that feature out.

On the remote app note, dealer setup for me worked right away. Tested turning car on remotely to temp i wanted. Worked perfectly. The map to the the car location worked. Cool having all that info about car status like fuel level brake status etc on the app. I'm a little worried about privacy but that app is cool! And again it just works no issues.

In terms of setup i was having full screen map on upper screen and music on lower ie album art or Sirius radio. Would switch to vehicle , climate when necessary. It go back. Havent messed w driver screen behind steering wheel yet.

Overall just impressed how easily the electronics have been to use and no problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.