Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So have to say the new Velar is an amazing looking car and something that I quite fancy though I've never had a SUV type car before but always up to try something a bit different. Still not quite yet in the market to change my car as it's currently only a year old. However it's always good to keep an eye on the market, plus I do enjoy window shopping cars :)

I figure with the demand it might put a reasonable delay on delivery plus I'd like to see what the reviews are like plus some feedback from new owners. So maybe can fit in ordering a First Edition near the end of the first year, I'd kind of like them to get their new 6 cylinder Ingenium in the car as it's rumoured to arrive late this year. That is likely to be far better than the Ford sourced units used currently.

Price is a bit steep for the price of the car on their site but then I guess that's the 6.9% APR. I've currently got a BMW M5 which I specified up to £86k but it's on 0% APR. That with £10k down on 4 years plus their discount comes in right on the £800 a month mark. I've over £1k a month on a car payment so it's not a problem, more just what type of car I want next but always got to have a back of the mind on if it's a good deal regardless.

For reference sat on A roads and motorways for a few hours with only a few occasion bursts of insane acceleration I can get 28mpg on the M5 which is roughly a 2 ton car. My experience for the most part over the cars I've owned that if you do a lot of long distance driving the size of the engine doesn't have a huge impact on the fuel economy. The weight of the car obviously does but once your up to speed the bigger engines just tend to hold that speed at a lower rpm so it all kind of cancels out somewhat. Diesels clearly do better but again I had a BMW 335d in the past that got around the same fuel economy as a 1.8 litre company car Mondeo on a long trip. Around town it's another matter of course.

Is it always SUV's for you people or have you never considered that you could have a super saloon for similar money? Just wondering. I drove a Range Rover Sport for a few hours once and strangely I'd say my M5 in it's comfort setting was actually more comfortable / relaxing than the Range Rover. Hence why I'd want to drive a Velar before I commit as comfort comes up pretty high on my wish list.

Anyway looking forward to the reviews of this. See if it's time to slow down a bit and blend in a bit more ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Welcome FastLaneJB.

I am in a similar situation to you and agree with your first two pragraphs.

Having owned Range Rovers and various BMWs, I love the diesel and petrol straight 6 engines BMW currntly offer.

Our current main car is coming up to a year old so will be holding off and also waiting to hear favourable comments of new owners from September onwards.

The BMW does offer slightly better comfort but I'm guessing the RRV will have improved levels of comfort.

·
Registered
125 Posts
A serious question concerning Silicon Silver, one of only 3 colours available for the RRV First Edition.

Today I visited a LR dealer to see for myself Silicon "Silver". In fact, and there is no doubt about this, it should be called Silicon "Green"! It is very green! Not silver at all. The LR "silver" is called Indus Silver and is, "silver".

Go to the E-Brochure on line at the LR website and look at the cars illustrated there. See that in almost all the pics, the cars there are listed as "Silicon Silver". There indeed, they look "silver". No doubt about it! But, look on line at other "Silicon Silver" cars, or go and see the colour yourself, and you will see (as I did) that Silicon Silver is a green silver. Very green!

Please....can anyone shed light on this. Am I going mad? Am I colour blind or do others think SS is in fact "green".

LR ask us to pay £725 extra for our RRV FE to be painted in Silicon Silver. However, I caution anyone strongly to look at the E-Brohure images and then compare the real colour in the flesh, to see that Corris Grey ( a no cost item) is in my view now an infinitely better colour for this car.

Who on earth wants a mildly green metallic Range Rover Velar....especially when one wants the beautiful car that appears in all the current images of the vehicle, both on the LR website, at the Geneva Show, or in the many images and vids now available on line.

Anyone who can shed light....please, shed LIGHT?!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Lancer.

You make a very good point, I spent many an hour at my local LR Dealership, viewing the showroom models and compund vehicles to get the right colour choice.

Many of their Metallic colours look completely diffenent in the showroom to outside in daylight, bright sunlight changes these yet again. Firenze Red being a classic example.

Scotia Grey is more Green than Silver, Silicon Silver on the Configurator looks a light Bronze. Most computer screens will give you a different rendering of the car colours.

If you can view these in the metal then I highly recommend you do so.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I did view Silicon Silver on an Evoque outside in their parking area. It looked light green metallic. Horrible. Inside, on the paint dis[lay, it looked bronze, another failed 70's colour!
I'll be going to Solihull next week to view them all so I hope it will become clearer then. The Flux Silver I've seen; its very flat, and drug dealerish. The Corris Grey (the most common RRS colour I'm told) is dull, as in boring, but way better than Silicon Silver. As you say, what a pity there isn't more choice (for the RRV FE).

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm curious re the Solihull Factory visit. I've been to Halewood a few times so I kind of know what to expect but.

Where are these vehicles going to that will be going down the production line you are viewing?

Are they pre production cars, Press vehicles or overseas ones?

It just seems too early for them to be customers cars.

Incidentally, I saw a Black Velar blasting up the M5 with a New Disco behind it the other day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts