Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening everyone

After owning a evoque for the past 10 months I'm moving up to a velar s 180d tomorrow.
Evoque was a great car but we found it too small for us after owning a Volvo XC90 and Freelander 2.
Got a 4 hr drive in the morning to the dealership with the wife so should have a good run home to have a play.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Exactly the same here after 2 freelanders then 2 evoque's. Evoque was just to small.

The Velar.... wow...... the difference is night and day, I've had very few issues, just waiting for the software update next month which I'm promised will fox the niggles.

We absolutely love ours, and the D180 has more than enough power, infact I couldn't tell the difference between that and the D240.

Excited I bet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After reading many posts on here , one of them yours about the engine I was more than happy staying with the 180d.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well weather was awful on the way up to Hereford but the Evoque cruises along happily in the early hours of this morning.
Handover was a pleasure we was looked after well. After the run through of the velar a final cup of coffee and free biscuits! The wife set the car up for her and if we went.
So I spent the 1st couple of hrs in the passenger seat while the wife grinned from ear to ear.
Well what a revelation the drive, handling,comfort and size is superb and and doesn't compare to our old Evoque.
The different driving modes from comfort to dynamic have an amazing difference in the ride and the 180d is more than powerful enough for our driving by style. Having not driven one of the more powerful engines I don't miss any extra power these have.
This feels like a Range Rover should.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had a freelander for 4 years before getting my Velar. Amazing car. Picked mine up from Plymouth, a long drive from Staffordshire so made a weekend of it and stopped in Dartmouth and a gentle drive back home up the M5

·
Registered
2 Posts
Traded my 4 year old Evogue for a Velar. Still coming to terms with the touch screen and layered software. Passenger (wife) put us in Sand mode thinking she was adjusting the temperature!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Glad the reports on the D180 are good. My current Q5 is quick (3.0 TDI) so I wondered if it would suddenly feel like I'm driving a bus when my D180 arrives. I know it'll be slower, I'm completely happy with that, but hoping it won't feel too lumbering.

·
Registered
295 Posts
andyjeffries said:
Glad the reports on the D180 are good. My current Q5 is quick (3.0 TDI) so I wondered if it would suddenly feel like I'm driving a bus when my D180 arrives. I know it'll be slower, I'm completely happy with that, but hoping it won't feel too lumbering.
Personnally, I am another one in this thread coming (only) from Freelander 2 and now owning a D180 Velar. So let's agree I am not used to fast cars . Surely the 3.0 TDI Q5 must be faster in some way (acceleration / torque).

However I feel that playing with the drive mode makes a real difference. Dynamic mode is really offering a much more nervous drive with fast(er) response from both the accelerator pedal and the gear, not to talk about the Dyanmic mode inaddition with gear in S mode.

In the end the 1lighter weight of 1,8 T combined with a decent 430 Nm engine torque makes a decent drive that can be pushed . but there are several post around detailing how the Velar is not a sport car...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts