Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Velar P550 SV AutoBiography
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya Guys

So I have a 2020 Velar P550 SV AutoBiography and cannot for the life of me get the Car to see the USB music.

1. I have a Sandisc 128 gig stick.

2. Formatted with ease US to FAT 32.

3. Ive tried loading Itune folders on it and it sees the stick but it's greyed out so I can't select it.

4. I then tried just loading music files onto the stick with no folders. M4A files. Same result sees the stick but it's greyed out.

So at this point I'm at a loss. Any ideas or suggestions?

Ta..

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hiya Guys

So I have a 2020 Velar P550 SV AutoBiography and cannot for the life of me get the Car to see the USB music.

1. I have a Sandisc 128 gig stick.

2. Formatted with ease US to FAT 32.

3. Ive tried loading Itune folders on it and it sees the stick but it's greyed out so I can't select it.

4. I then tried just loading music files onto the stick with no folders. M4A files. Same result sees the stick but it's greyed out.

So at this point I'm at a loss. Any ideas or suggestions?

Ta..
I didn’t load direct from iTunes but created folders with artist name and then album inside and songs inside that. All M4a format on 256gb USB formatted as FAT 32. Also added playlists in root of usb and all works great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn’t load direct from iTunes but created folders with artist name and then album inside and songs inside that. All M4a format on 256gb USB formatted as FAT 32. Also added playlists in root of usb and all works great.

Hmm the wife suggested that the max size of the USB stick must be no more than 32gig. She read it in LR somewhere. But your 256gig throws that out the water.

Ive tried just loading even a single MP3 file onto the stick and still grayed out.

Im at a loss what to try next to be honest.

The car plays music from my phone no issues using blackplayer via Droid auto. Sames 70gig music library too. Same files.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Have you tried the other USB port? Should work in both USBA and USBC. Might be worth checking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah no I have two USB ports and one SIM card port. Then two USB ports in the rear arm rest. Ive got it working on a 32gig stick. Ill try a 64 as I think it's a size issue.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ok ive figured it. For my Velar it only likes and sees 32 gig USB stick formatted to FAT32. Music plays now through this.
Strange. I use a 128Gb thumbnail USB with FLAC files. Each 16bit music file is typically around 30Mb in size. The Meridian unit can cope with FLAC lossless compression without any glitches.

The USB is very occasionally invisible on start-up but simply removing it and inserting it into the slot resolves that immediately. Otherwise it’s faultless.

I did once really struggle getting the system to recognise the thumbnail USB just after adding some new music from my laptop. For the life of me, I couldn’t understand why it wouldn’t recognise it when, just a few hours earlier, it had been happily playing the library. Tried all my usual tricks, including pulling into a bus lay-by and doing a full shut down. Didn’t work.

I only then realised that I’d taken the laptop’s USB Bluetooth for the mouse rather than the USB memory stick!!! What an idiot!

Whatever, hope you enjoy your music. The Meridian system works best when it’s fed with high quality music files, not MP3 or other lossy compressed formats. Given the right input quality, it really shines - especially the soundstage.

Best wishes, Arianne

Reactions: 15Degrees

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Strange. I use a 128Gb thumbnail USB with FLAC files. Each 16bit music file is typically around 30Mb in size. The Meridian unit can cope with FLAC lossless compression without any glitches.

The USB is very occasionally invisible on start-up but simply removing it and inserting it into the slot resolves that immediately. Otherwise it’s faultless.

I did once really struggle getting the system to recognise the thumbnail USB just after adding some new music from my laptop. For the life of me, I couldn’t understand why it wouldn’t recognise it when, just a few hours earlier, it had been happily playing the library. Tried all my usual tricks, including pulling into a bus lay-by and doing a full shut down. Didn’t work.

I only then realised that I’d taken the laptop’s USB Bluetooth for the mouse rather than the USB memory stick!!! What an idiot!

Whatever, hope you enjoy your music. The Meridian system works best when it’s fed with high quality music files, not MP3 or other lossy compressed formats. Given the right input quality, it really shines - especially the soundstage.

Best wishes, Arianne

Yep I can't figure but any size larger than 32 and it shows up but greyed out. How odd.

Ill convert all my music today to FLAC as I just got a converter. Do you run the system in Meridian as I have 3 options. Mer/DTS/Dolby?

I have a new issue but ill post a new thread. My mirror camera has done a Marty Feldman LOL.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And we have resolution..

I connected my car to the house wifi and did an Infotainment update which took it to S21B software and Et Voila. The car software is 18 version

It now sees the 128gig USB stick and it also plays FLAC files.

So software was too old on my car then!

So for anyone else that encounters this. This is the solution. Software update of infotainment via wifi or hotspot or SIM card.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yes, the early software was very flakey so it makes sense that the update has resolved your issues. You’ll find the whole thing much more stable now, with faster boot times and fewer glitches.

I use the Meridian option as it sounds better to my ear. Others prefer Dolby etc.

All members of my family immediately noticed the difference between MP3 music, even AAC and the vastly superior FLAC files. Mine are from either the 7 Digital or Qobuz digital music download platforms. I don’t have a quality piece of hardware to rip the music from my CD collection, only my laptop. Ripping music using my laptop, even to FLAC files from CD, doesn’t match the quality of the direct downloads from the likes of 7 Digital.

I don’t bother paying extra for the 24bit tracks. 16bit is fine as my ear cannot distinguish the faster bitrate. I’m 56 and hearing does unavoidably decline with age. However, many folk state that it’s impossible for the human ear to differentiate between 16bit and 24bit, whatever your age (hope for me yet then!).

Try it and see what you think. Your car has the high end Meridian system so you might as well exploit it and feed the unit some high quality music files. I think you’ll notice the difference and be well pleased with it - I am.

Regards, Arianne.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts