Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a picture of the original disc brakes that have just been replaced on my Velar - the car has done 26,000 miles. They were badly corroded at 18,000 when my RR dealer said they were not covered by my warranty. Having previously just fitted new pads I left it until now to change them, rather than replace them immediately at a cost of over £1,100+. Are they really ‘fit for purpose’? Am I alone?

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
No they’re not fit for purpose and cars with only 12k miles have prematurely corroded and even warped discs, plenty of posts on here, so you are far from alone. What differs is how far the owner is able/wants to take the issue to get a resolution. Speaking from experience dealerships or JLR will concede particularly if you embarrass them on Twitter by posting a picture of your discs in response every time they post about some new launch or campaign.

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is “Fair wear and tear” according to JLR Customer Relation Centre who will not recognise that there has been a problem with rusting brake discs across their range of vehicles. I had my brake discs changed under warranty on my 2018 Jaguar XF Sportbrake but I could not get the rusting discs changed on my 2019 Velar. My dealer informed me that JLR will no longer reimburse them for warranty claims on rusty discs so I contacted JLR direct who informed me that it was not a safety issue but fair wear and tear and would not budge.
This is a disgraceful situation for a so called quality vehicle manufacturer so they need pressure from the motoring press to embarrass JLR into dealing with the problem.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine were as bad at 30000 the brakes in operation were terrible and they were warped. If the outsides look bad then the insides will be worse (as yours show). There was wear to the calipers on mine and the pads wore unevenly also.
I just replaced them with JLR stuff on the front and used a compound on the pads. The rears just needed new pads but there is still a little rust on the edges that never quite wears away.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here is a picture of the original disc brakes that have just been replaced on my Velar - the car has done 26,000 miles. They were badly corroded at 18,000 when my RR dealer said they were not covered by my warranty. Having previously just fitted new pads I left it until now to change them, rather than replace them immediately at a cost of over £1,100+. Are they really ‘fit for purpose’? Am I alone?
I have today replaced 4 very rusty and corroded original brake discs with new Brembo discs and pads. My Velar was built in June 2019 and it has now covered a total of 28900 miles from new. My garage told me that the car would have failed its MOT in June due to the corrosion and grooves in the pads which I find totally unacceptable for a car costing what it did new.
I intend to advise JLR customer relations what has happened but I am not confident that they will help as they have told previous complainants that this corrosion problem is down to fair wear and tear.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Rim

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Rim Auto part Locking hubs

·
Registered
16 Posts
Out of curiosity does anyone know if the discs are covered under warranty by other main dealers, BMW, Audi, VW etc..?
It would seem that other manufacturers do not have the same problems as JLR which is because JLR use inferior quality brake discs which I have proved today. I have replaced my corroded discs with Brembo.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Your old discs look terrible. Not just pitted but that awful banding as though something got into the caliper or the pads were kernackered.

On my new Defender (which I think used carbon/ceramic pads) I had the early signs of mild banding but just on rear/nearside disc.
However, after a few miles of driving downhill most of it disappeared.
But it returned after a number of short trips where braking was little and light.

Is this happening on cars which are doing lots of short journeys? And parked up a lot? (Just wondering).

Rusty brake discs have been reported on bimmerforum (BMW) but nowhere near as bad as yours.
Ditto Mercedes, but just the inners and not the awful mutilated faces you have.
Probably JLR buy in cheapo discs made of low grade iron (or putty) to save a few pennies.

Are they the coated Brembo discs?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Your old discs look terrible. Not just pitted but that awful banding as though something got into the caliper or the pads were kernackered.

On my new Defender (which I think used carbon/ceramic pads) I had the early signs of mild banding but just on rear/nearside disc.
However, after a few miles of driving downhill most of it disappeared.
But it returned after a number of short trips where braking was little and light.

Is this happening on cars which are doing lots of short journeys? And parked up a lot? (Just wondering).

Rusty brake discs have been reported on bimmerforum (BMW) but nowhere near as bad as yours.
Ditto Mercedes, but just the inners and not the awful mutilated faces you have.
Probably JLR buy in cheapo discs made of low grade iron (or putty) to save a few pennies.

Are they the coated Brembo discs?
Yes I have bought the Brembo coated disks and they look excellent quality

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in the same boat.......3 years / 36,000 miles and JLR dealership says this is due to weather.........!!!!!!

Can't believe my MOT 3 weeks back @ JLR didn't have any advisories.

Have paid £360.00 for new Brembos, pads and sensors supplied and fitted with a local, reputable independent.

Wood Door Rectangle Gas Pattern

·
Registered
276 Posts
Is there a manufacturer's name on those horrible items?
Truly awful.
Does this happen on RRS, Disco etc.? Or just Velar?
scash5's look like you've lost half your pad contact area. Surely that must be a safety thing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is there a manufacturer's name on those horrible items?
Truly awful.
Does this happen on RRS, Disco etc.? Or just Velar?
scash5's look like you've lost half your pad contact area. Surely that must be a safety thing?
Will have a look later......not sure abour other RR models. I have asked the JLR dealer how on earth it passed the MOT without any advisories. They wanted £120 to inspect the pedal judder which I declined. These photos are going all over social media fairly soon. UK weather my ar5e........

·
Registered
276 Posts
Anything like this which is nasty and, apparently, common (or breaking alternator belts) I write to motoring magazines where experienced/qualified people can comment. Especially if safety is involved.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Expected response from JLR:

"Thank you for your email, I have spoken with our service manager and it has been advised that your front brake discs met the MOT criteria hence no advisories or failures. I have also spoken with our warranty manager reference your query and he has confirmed that warranty would only cover manufacturer defects on the brake discs for the first year or 15,000 miles.

As brake discs and pad usage varies and very much relates to driver usage we are unable to advise if this is fair wear and tear. If you have only recently purchased your vehicle then it may be worth contacting your supplying dealer to discuss this matter with them as they may offer you some assistance or further advice."

£70k car and you get discs / pads of that quality......!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Got my car in to look at the sunroof fault and they called to tell me rear discs were corroded saying they’re an Amber issue. 8500 miles/6 months old. Not happy and will be discussing when I pick up later today or tomorrow.

Reading through this and other threads, should I be pushing for a warranty repair?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got my car in to look at the sunroof fault and they called to tell me rear discs were corroded saying they’re an Amber issue. 8500 miles/6 months old. Not happy and will be discussing when I pick up later today or tomorrow.

Reading through this and other threads, should I be pushing for a warranty repair?
Morning
I would at 6 months. Mine were 2 years with moderate driving and they didn't want to know. I got Brembo fitted by an independent garage and they are perfect.

Keep us posted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts