Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a picture of the original disc brakes that have just been replaced on my Velar - the car has done 26,000 miles. They were badly corroded at 18,000 when my RR dealer said they were not covered by my warranty. Having previously just fitted new pads I left it until now to change them, rather than replace them immediately at a cost of over £1,100+. Are they really ‘fit for purpose’? Am I alone?

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
No they’re not fit for purpose and cars with only 12k miles have prematurely corroded and even warped discs, plenty of posts on here, so you are far from alone. What differs is how far the owner is able/wants to take the issue to get a resolution. Speaking from experience dealerships or JLR will concede particularly if you embarrass them on Twitter by posting a picture of your discs in response every time they post about some new launch or campaign.

·
Registered
223 Posts
This is “Fair wear and tear” according to JLR Customer Relation Centre who will not recognise that there has been a problem with rusting brake discs across their range of vehicles. I had my brake discs changed under warranty on my 2018 Jaguar XF Sportbrake but I could not get the rusting discs changed on my 2019 Velar. My dealer informed me that JLR will no longer reimburse them for warranty claims on rusty discs so I contacted JLR direct who informed me that it was not a safety issue but fair wear and tear and would not budge.
This is a disgraceful situation for a so called quality vehicle manufacturer so they need pressure from the motoring press to embarrass JLR into dealing with the problem.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mine were as bad at 30000 the brakes in operation were terrible and they were warped. If the outsides look bad then the insides will be worse (as yours show). There was wear to the calipers on mine and the pads wore unevenly also.
I just replaced them with JLR stuff on the front and used a compound on the pads. The rears just needed new pads but there is still a little rust on the edges that never quite wears away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts