Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. As I was waiting to get my car by January, and considering other options as well, every single dealership of the JR dealerships that I visit it back in September and October, called me emailed me and texted me numerous times asking pressing if I am still interested in A Velar.
When I visited the dealerships couple months ago they seemed to be very excited about the new car to the point that you had to make an appointment weeks and days in advance to meet with them and see the new car.
Even when you all were able to meet with them they they gave the numbers, prices and deals as is, take it or leave it.
Well it is not the case anymore. In the past couple of weeks I have been swapped with calls texts and emails from five all the dealerships I visited couple months ago asking me if I was still interested in a Velar and even one of them sent me quote for the same car that you previously quoted me but $3000 cheaper. His offer for the lease was about $70 cheaper per month.
With all the little defects that the Velar is showing, I'm starting to get hesitant to get one especially after seeing the new X.3 and the future coming RRS.
Any thoughts !

·
Registered
482 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but.......

...... BMW X3, really? They played it safe with the new model and it's pretty boring.

The only car I would possibly consider towards the upper reaches of the Velar price range is the new Porsche Cayenne. Hardly a work of art but externally better than the outgoing model, interior is pretty good and handles well. The trouble is that, to make it what it deserves to be, you need to spend serious money on the Porsche configurator - as is the way with them all from Porsche.

If discounts are coming on stream for the RR Velar so soon then that is a shame for those of us that have already signed up. But such is life. For you, take advantage of your timing and benefit from it. I don't think they're any less reliable than other complex cars at this price point - a review of other websites shows that some folk have equally bad experiences with their German cars (we own Audi too at the moment, from new, and I wouldn't personally be back buying another in a hurry).

Arianne

·
Registered
153 Posts
You know come February prices will be the same. Everyone wants an SUV at the moment and nothing quite comes close to the velar in my opinion. At the moment the APR has dropped as well but I have a feeling it won't last long. These defects will get fixed, most are already with a few up dates. Most of the defects are electronical except the one Arianne has experienced but I'm told they have fixed it on the sister model F-pace so you know it will be fixed on the Velar soon enough. Each to there own but I can not wait to pick up mine. Good luck in which either car you choose.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't know, does a vehicle have to sell in high numbers for validation that it's good? Statistically how many people really "get" good design. I sort of hope the Velar doesn't sell a ton. My neighborhood is jammed with luxury cars and BMW's are like Toyotas. If you like the X3 or any other BMW that is all that matters! Personally I've rented the older X3 and also a 3 series and found both of them to be completely overrated with awful interiors. Whoever came up with the "ultimate driving machine" slogan was a genius. I bet their more expensive models are really great but not the low end ones -- only in my opinion of course. Take it with a grain of salt. Ultimately a car should really stir the emotions and make us feel passionate about owning it. Hopefully you get a gut feeling about what feels right for you.

I kept my 2010 Range Rover Sport for 7 years and 85k miles. It was just as reliable as my 3 previous Audi's but honestly it did cost more for maintenance and replacing parts that wear out (batteries, water pump, alternator) and my local dealerships are not great. But it was the most enjoyable auto I've had and can live with those things. And obviously I bought another LR. I wouldn't recommend a Land Rover to anyone who's highest priority is low cost of ownership. But for me there is something different and special about them and I love that they are less popular than the other brands.

Regarding supply and demand of the Velar, it's possible the first wave of demand for this new model has been satisfied and now that it's November the dealer stock is plentiful so there is a healthy supply. I see a ton of Sports in inventory at my local dealers too. they're not high volume selling vehicles either. It's not because the 2018 update is around the corner, it was like this last year too.

Regarding "issues" with the vehicle, they all sound pretty minor on this forum. My only complaint is the performance of the upper touchscreen but it's still completely usable and not a big deal. LR will make it better over time. They're not Apple but they're trying hard.

G

·
They are getting cheaper, but the Velar remains a hugely desirable, if expensive, car. It really is good looking, and the interior is a design tour de force. I'm buying probably my retirement vehicle, so it has to be right.
Offers around with 5.3% off, when 2% was the most expected for a cash deal until last month. Still to buy, and still to justify what I consider a highly excessive price. If JLR want custom and market share, they should have kept to their original E-Type era raison d'etre; total value for money.
I've sweated over the opposition, as we try to get away from German luxury vehicle hegemony.
BMW X3? No, too old and the styling is old fashioned; not a true competitor.
X5 needs replacing. (As it is next year).
F-Pace? Highly desirable, but its the ride; should have had air suspension for those less worried with Macan mirroring.
5-Series Touring? All time favourite past car, and magnificent really in XDrive 30D SE spec. They've missed a chance with the 2017 model - trapped in Bangle's progressive upgrade mantra.
I always pass on Japanese cars, although my past Lexus Hybrid was truly superb.
Current Audi A6 Allroad is very nice - unreliable though and about to go.
Have a VW Touareg which we all love - very understated and highly competent. It will stay.
Very nearly put down a deposit on a Jaguar i-Pace. Perfect for 60% of my motoring, but hunting for charging points around Europe was going to irritate- along with 90 minute re-charge times. Plus I do not believe they are as green as they say, or that their time has come, and I still love the torquey feel of a good diesel. (I know, electric is better, but its not going to get me 200 miles using its potential). Plus a need to tow.

So currently its between another Mercedes E-Class and the Velar. Got talked into a E-Class 220d Estate - terrible car, and got out quick for the Allroad. The only Mercedes that does attract a lot in is the new All Terrain. Huge spec, good looking and a nice interior, but in-line 6's are due which would tip me to the Merc if it was imminent. Its not. £15K less than a Velar, though, so very much a head v heart moment.
I'm sure I'll end up with a Velar BUT it is expensive, not the best in many areas, and deficient it seems in reliability.
Car buying is not easy unless you have a suck it and see attitude - a path I see some here have taken.

·
Registered
727 Posts
:D No matter what the denial on this forum there are plenty of cars available at huge discounts at the moment. I said it on another thread that i am no longer commenting in but a close friend recently got £10,000 discount on one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'll use this as an opportunity for my first post (been registered and actively reading posts daily for the past couple of months).

I held off buying originally for this very reason, infact i'd changed tact and was fairly set on a MY18 RR Sport (Velarman i think i'm right in saying i've seen some of your posts on RRSport about your experience and switch back to an SVR?). Interestingly the last couple of weeks increased discounts have swung me back towards a Velar again. The better half took out a D240 SE with allot of extra kit on over the weekend (Air / Pan Roof / Black Pack / Extended Leather etc) and she loves it.

Our local dealership were fairly candid about the Velar and are certainly keen to look into doing a deal (especially on a stock vehicle). Interesting times ahead....

Rob

·
Registered
201 Posts
this time of the year is the best to buy cars, especially as dealers try to hit their sales targets with factory - let us know what discount you can negotiate

My sense is that it will get worst for discounts come 2018

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great opinions! The Velar is one of the most beautiful cars out there. The issue is pricing. I have no problem that Velar is expensive (good models) however my problem is with pricing it almost the same as the RRS. I visited my dealer today who called me for an offer. I saw a nicely equipped RRS priced to lease cheaper than a velar with same options. Aside from the new fresh design, what justifies leasing a Velar vs. leasing an RRS? If the price is almost the same, then get more car, more handling and more power for the same money.
For those who commented on the x3....the x3 is way way more technologically advanced with better handling than the Velar, even though I prefer the Velar for the design.

Bottomline of Velar is THE car for you then drive it. However, JLR must make sure to protect the image of the car to justify its illogical pricing .

·
Registered
558 Posts
As above if you prefer the Velar just buy it. This is the first car I have owned that we have specc'd To what we want (within budget) previous cars have always been stick cars that we have never been 100% happy with.

When we ordered we could have got £2.5k discount but ended up with a stock car that wouldn't have quite suited and I wasn't prepared to once again have an expensive car that wasn't what we wanted.

To add to this, we were able to secure a deal which meant we have approx £2k of freebies on anyway, if we hadn't we still would have proceeded with the order.

In my eyes Life to short to piss around finding a deal that saves you a grand or two, especially if you end up with something that's just not quite what you wanted. Every month owning the last evoque when the payment went out I felt uneasy as we weren't enjoying the car enough to justify the expenditure. Hence the change and selling the evoque a few months prior to collecting the Velar (25th) to save a little more money (The 170k mondeo and TVR have done us proud over the last 3 months)

Each to there own, but if you prefer the Velar, I wouldn't let a few grand stop you from buying it, enjoy the privilege of being in the position to own one.

·
Registered
201 Posts
well, that was more than expected...I expect the 2019 RRS release also to feature most of the Velar styling, including the rear tail lights

**For Land Rover Velar is the new styling on the RR front - same for BMW the X1 styling is present on the new X3 which will in line filter to the X5...just how car manufacturers operate today

·
Registered
727 Posts
Comes back to pricing - a £30k car (Evoque) that looks very similar to a £70k car (Velar) and you have another car in the Mix (RRS) - size does matter but does it matter £50k much!? Strange pricing by JLR indeed especially if they are going to pretty much all look the same inside and out! The BMW X1 X3 and X5 don't look the same, have different interiors too. The X5 being the best of the lot.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just returned from 300 mile round trip - Velar was looked up and down where ever we were - and after 2 months of ownership I saw another one on the road!! - Its getting more looks than my TVR and yes averaged 40mpg - the only downside is the indicator sound. Over time the pricing may come down but the buzz you get from this car. Spotify worked extremely well. Seriously a female taxi driver commented after following me for a few miles - what a beautiful car - oh l replied in shock - thanks.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Velarman, I see what you are saying, however the price increases in my eyes are all on par.

I don't get everyone's issue with pricing. Velarman, you quote 30K for and Evoque? in you're comparing costing you need to look at the same pinch point within the range. Base Evoque (4WD) currently starts at £35,200, and the Base Velar £44,830.

I also believe that the cost of the new Evoque and Sport will increase

·
Registered
558 Posts
Batman said:
Just returned from 300 mile round trip - Velar was looked up and down where ever we were - and after 2 months of ownership I saw another one on the road!! - Its getting more looks than my TVR and yes averaged 40mpg - the only downside is the indicator sound. Over time the pricing may come down but the buzz you get from this car. Spotify worked extremely well. Seriously a female taxi driver commented after following me for a few miles - what a beautiful car - oh l replied in shock - thanks.
what TVR do you have?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Milky400 said:
Velarman, I see what you are saying, however the price increases in my eyes are all on par.

I don't get everyone's issue with pricing. Velarman, you quote 30K for and Evoque? in you're comparing costing you need to look at the same pinch point within the range. Base Evoque (4WD) currently starts at £35,200, and the Base Velar £44,830.

I also believe that the cost of the new Evoque and Sport will increase
Spot on

1 - 20 of 79 Posts