Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nothing we didn't already know then. A very well made, charismatic, futuristic car. It will sell like hot cakes. Disappointing about the 4 stars, but I was wondering if anyone knew whether the RRS or Evoque even scored 5 initially? Maybe not.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think JLR shot themselves in the foot resulting in a 4 star review because of the lower entry level model at £45k :-( if this was pitched as a sportier alternative to the RRS rather than a notch below then this was a five star car all day. This should have been the RRS Coupe but IMHO JLR messed the marketing strategy up. Either way a great car and I hope the UK test drives rather than the Norway ones result in a 5 star rating!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Velarman, spot on!

They've got everything right except the entry pricing as especially British reviewers will repeatedly point out that you need to spend upwards of 60-85k to get your hands on a decent spec'd one. They just didn't really need to go down that path in my view as it's got more negatives than positives.

Most people will be paying through finance anyway sothe difference in price over 3 years is not a train smash.

The comments about the inferior plastics quality are fair enough which I've pointed out before. Something we'll have to live with I guess.

I thought it was a dumb comment about portrait vs horizontal nav screens as they are multifunctional and in any case, it's only Volvos and Teslas that have portrait screens so I thought anyway.

Reviews are always subjective but often these car dudes feel like their job is to nitpick.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agree, the Car Mag review hits exactly at what I want from a car. The style which is in bucket loads, but also mile munching. Living in Inverness I often drive 400 miles at a time in my Macan. The Macan is brilliant, handles great, quick, quiet and comfortable, but over long distance can be a little tiring, steering a bit heavy and a very tight footwell.

Some of the reviews about cheap plastics, I haven't noticed from my brief look at the Velar, but can live with, and the screens taking your eye off the road. I'm sure given time this will become second nature, but the look and design will always look good.

Ive spent the morning looking on you-tube and reading reviews and if anything I'm more convinced it's the car for me...

·
Registered
171 Posts
VelarMan said:
I think JLR shot themselves in the foot resulting in a 4 star review because of the lower entry level model at £45k :-( if this was pitched as a sportier alternative to the RRS rather than a notch below then this was a five star car all day. This should have been the RRS Coupe but IMHO JLR messed the marketing strategy up. Either way a great car and I hope the UK test drives rather than the Norway ones result in a 5 star rating!
That's not a first time they messed up with their marketing material. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.