Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally test drove a Velar today, was looking for a D180 but both local dealers only had D240 2.0d.
Fantastic looking car inside and out as we all know but the lazy performance and wafty driving experience has really put me off buying one. :(
I'd dread to think how sluggish the D180 must be as the D240 felt slow even in sport mode.
Has anyone else had a similar experience as I'm back to looking at Macans and X5s now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
To be honest if you want performance you'll want the 3.0 petrol or diesel.
I test drove the Macan and agree its a good performance car. As an SUV it left me a little cold. Interior wasn't great and the rear leg room was nonexistent even for my 6 year old.

Personally I went with the D240. Had enough power for us plus good MPG. Horses for courses I guess.
If you want a sporty car i've always wondered why people would look at an SUV.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Completely agree velardave! We had a test drive in a 240 and thought it was plenty fast enough. In fact it felt quite quick compared to our old 2.7 rr sport. We've ordered a 180. I don't know how fast you need to go in a SUV. There are a wafting car not a sports car and don't think it will make you want to drive it like you stole it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Chaps, yes understand where you are coming from with your comments.
I'm coming from a X3 MSport 2.0d which is the wifes car which handles fairly well for it's size.
I'm going to have to find a dealer with a D180 and have a another drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi I have a D180 with 400 miles on and its plenty fast enough particularly in Dynamic mode.
I love the driving position and the dynamic mode is plenty fast enough for an SUV I didn't buy this car for earth shattering acceleration I bought it for comfort.

PS 53 mpg on a run yesterday and 33 round town at the moment.

·
Registered
558 Posts
that's better mpg the my evoque... managed just under 50mpg yesterday on a motorway run at 60-65mph

·
Registered
79 Posts
bosshog said:
Hi I have a D180 with 400 miles on and its plenty fast enough particularly in Dynamic mode.
I love the driving position and the dynamic mode is plenty fast enough for an SUV I didn't buy this car for earth shattering acceleration I bought it for comfort.

PS 53 mpg on a run yesterday and 33 round town at the moment.
Totally agree with this. In dynamic mode my d180 is more than fast enough, considering this is an SUV.

I wonder if the OP had the car in ECO mode or similar? That's the only time I would consider my car a little sluggish on acceleration. However I do most of my motorway cruising in ECO + cruise control and I'm getting great MPGs (which is important to me as I do a lot of miles commuting into london every day).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
534 Posts
I actually found the Velar to be sportier than I expected. My P250 is fairly firm, has decently weighted steering, feels planted to the road and quicker than it looks on paper. I drive in Dynamic around town and comfort on the highway.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi all,

I am trying to understand what is behind 'dynamic' or 'confort' mode. Is it something you can choose with the 'configurable dynamics' option or do all models have this with the adaptive dynamics.

I have ordered an R dynamic D180 S but did not purchased the extra 'configurable dynamics' option. will I be able to switch from 'confort' to 'dynamic' ?

reading the brochure did not help, nor did my dealer who told me that the 'configurable dynamics' option was only worth for the V6 owners...

good news is I got confirmation my velar was built on sep the 11th and should be in Paris by end october.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Joe said:
You can switch from confort' to 'dynamic' with no extra option needed. The engine electronic is adjusted accordingly.
Thanks Joe. My dealer told me I only had the 'sport' mode from the gear, since my spec is pretty standard. But again like me, he did not have a chance to drive a Velar yet :|

·
Registered
558 Posts
It would appear that a fair few of the dealers are a little out of touch with what is and isn't on the Velar. To be fair there is a long list.

·
Registered
449 Posts
One more thing, the Adaptive Dynamics is a standard on all Velars. It's on page 15 in the brochure. It states that it controls the wheels and the suspension so the body will stay adjusted according to the settings choosen. So it's not just the engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts