Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I'm on the verge of placing an order for a Velar and just wondered how existing owners are finding the Touchscreens to use.

Several reviews have suggested that they are difficult to use whilst driving.

Any thoughts or observations?

Thanks in advance

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dave73 said:
Hi guys

I'm on the verge of placing an order for a Velar and just wondered how existing owners are finding the Touchscreens to use.

Several reviews have suggested that they are difficult to use whilst driving.

Any thoughts or observations?

Thanks in advance

Dave
It seems Land Rover is having the same issues as Volvo when it comes to the touchscreens as far as being distracting, running into technical difficulties (reboots, use issues), and being a double-edged sword. Double-edged in the fact that the touchscreens control everything from HVAC to vehicle performance settings; if the touchscreens have to reboot or takes forever to load, you're just sitting there in your car waiting for the touchscreen to reboot/boot up so that you can modify any other settings the center dashboard would normally have.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Have to be honest @dave73 I have not found it a problem. Like any car you need to learn what does what, and where relevant buttons are. It felt distracting for a couple of days, now its second nature.
Regarding reboots etc, maybe once or twice this has happened, but no doubt in due course software updates (i hope) will cure these little niggles on what is still a very new car!
I do not however had either the digital dash or the HUD, so cannot report on these.

Hope that helps a little -

Quite frankly I say just pop down your local stealer, and spank the credit car, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have found them easy to use and reliable. I do have the driver's digital display too but not HUD (didn't rate this when I test drove the can anyway, just a personal choice).

One month into ownership and I like them very much. Functional, look fabulous, easy access to a huge range of commands and responsive. They smudge with greasy fingers though!

Arianne

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have found them very easy to use and the amount of information that can shared across them means I find there is less "fiddling" on the move.

I opted for HUD as personal option that suited me. It means I can have full screen (or partial maps) on my speedo screen, phone or media on the main screen etc... hence i am finding I fiddle less as I drive along, and the HUD means I can keep an eye on my speed as look forward through the screen. JLR just need to get my speed limit warning sorted, as it resets to "Off" by default, every time the neigh is switched off.

You have been warned... beware the smudge mrs indeed!

D

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hahaha the smudge - you are so right!!!!!

Buff before you drive it's the future 😂

·
Registered
843 Posts
+1 to the comments on ease of use here, as well as the smudges LOL. The 1st few days you get used to where items are located, and can customize your preferred layout between the two main screens and the driver display (if equipped). For example, I use the Single Dial view in the driver display with Map on the right and Media on the left. Then I have the full screen map open on top TP Duo screen and the media controls on the bottom TP Duo screen, which can easily be switched to climate/seats/vehicle settings as needed (usually I just set those before pulling away, then go to media controls for the remainder of my ride). I personally find it very intuitive and easy to manipulate, even when on the move. Oh, and I keep a microfiber cloth in the driver door compartment to wipe smudges, which is just about every time I get in the car lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The complexity of the screens is overstated. On an 1,800 mile drive, I mainly kept the bottom screen on climate. Would switch to turn on seat massage, and also to change the driving mode and turn off auto engine start/stop. There are also dedicated climate buttons at the bottom. The top screen I would have to move between radio (scanning for stations) and nav. Occasionally my finger would not hit something precise, but that's going to be true of any touch screen. I found the center dash display a big pain as there is so many menus and details, and seemingly no easy way to switch between the views.

·
Registered
295 Posts
bluesun said:
The complexity of the screens is overstated. On an 1,800 mile drive, I mainly kept the bottom screen on climate. Would switch to turn on seat massage, and also to change the driving mode and turn off auto engine start/stop. There are also dedicated climate buttons at the bottom. The top screen I would have to move between radio (scanning for stations) and nav. Occasionally my finger would not hit something precise, but that's going to be true of any touch screen. I found the center dash display a big pain as there is so many menus and details, and seemingly no easy way to switch between the views.
totally agree with you bluescreen. touch screeens are not so complex. Some (old school) journalist(s) have been too dramatic on this matter. Yes the touch screens do offer a lot of possibilities one should not do while driving. But this is the driver's decision whether to change the music or to look at the road. same as when we were checking the radio station on former radio tuners...

It is a matter of getting things prepared a bit in advance (such as satnav, music, air temperature) before starting to drive. In addition, the more you use the system, the more you remember where to find things you are looking for. as with any new car really.

the more 'complex' screen is the big top screen as it is displaying both music and satnav. sometime while it is displaying spotify, I wish to come back on satnav quickly before I reach a junction. In this case It takes me 2 'cliks' (Home then satnav) to see the map again. But I will probably save time once I'll have set the steering wheels' shortcuts. and it' no big deal really.

personnally I have not had any screen nor dash board crash since I've had the Velar (3 weeks and only 500 Km).

and the 2 screens do give a stunning interior look to the car plus I find them easy to manipulate. just need to get into the stuff. remember how perplex you were when you had your first smartphone . same thing. just need some practise

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.