Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anyone has experienced this. Sometimes, when I shift into park, the car turns off automatically. I'm not talking about the auto start/stop; the car turns everything off, the infotainment and climate control included, and the shifter knob retracts. Initially I thought it was a feature, but then I noticed it's intermittent. Not a huge deal, but if my windows or roof are open when the car turns itself off, I have to either hold the switches to close them all or push the start button again to restart the electronics. The other day, at a stoplight, I shifted to park so I could reach over and grab something out of the glovebox. I didnt realize the car turned off. When the light went green, I had to frantically restart the car and wait for the shift knob to raise up...while being honked at. Obviously this only happens when the car is in park, so its not a huge deal...but it is an annoyance.

Anyone else experience this? Is it a setting I'm turning on intermittently? I scheduled a service for next week to have a few minor things repaired, so I'll mention it then.

So far, I've encountered these minor 'flaws':

-ICTP is slow and iPhone integration is hit or miss...I want carplay!!!!!!

-Early on, my ventilated seats would turn off a few seconds after turning them on...happened a few times the first week or so...never happens anymore.

-The stitching on one of my rear headrests is loose and hanging down from the headrest...I assume it was delivered that way and went unnoticed.

-The drivers side exterior mirror rattles where it meets the window trim. When I close my driver door this area rattles...sounds very cheap because of this.

-This issue with the car turning itself off

Registered
This sounds like the driver exit feature.

The driver exit feature is only active when an auto stop has taken place and the engine is not running. To prevent the vehicle from being inadvertently left in a driveable condition, the vehicle detects when a driver is not present. If this is the case, the system automatically switches off the ignition system. Once the vehicle's ignition is switched off, the vehicle can be locked, if required. See LOCK CONFIRMATION.
If Drive (D), Sport (S), or Neutral (N) is selected, the driver exit feature switches the vehicle's ignition off if the following conditions exist:
The driver's seat belt is unbuckled, and:
The brake pedal is released.
If Park (P) is selected, the driver exit feature switches the vehicle's ignition off if the driver's seat belt is unbuckled.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
baldro said:
If Park (P) is selected, the driver exit feature switches the vehicle's ignition off if the driver's seat belt is unbuckled.
Interesting! This is likely it. I guess I need to close my windows and pano roof before I unbuckle my seat belt.

This also explains another occurrence I've had. Sometimes I'd exit the car and it would still be running, preventing me from locking it. I can now assume what happens is I unbuckle my seat belt, the car turns off itself, I push the ignition button to turn the car off seconds later, but I'm actually turning it back on (not the engine, but the electronics).

Thanks for clarifying!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah. I've verified that it happens only when I unlock my seat belt while the car is in auto stop mode. It's weird, but I'm used to it now.

Registered
KRG said:
Yeah. I've verified that it happens only when I unlock my seat belt while the car is in auto stop mode. It's weird, but I'm used to it now.
It isn't weird, it's a safety feature. So you can't leave the engine running, particularly in cold weather, get out "just for a minute" to the cash machine or whatever, and have somebody drive away your car. This still happens. Or the more common winter defrost/heat scenario, start the car up, back indoors to finish your coffee while the car gets warm and the screens clear, Oh Dear! The car's gone.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rrvel said:
KRG said:
It isn't weird, it's a safety feature. So you can't leave the engine running, particularly in cold weather, get out "just for a minute" to the cash machine or whatever, and have somebody drive away your car. This still happens. Or the more common winter defrost/heat scenario, start the car up, back indoors to finish your coffee while the car gets warm and the screens clear, Oh Dear! The car's gone.
True, but I'm smart enough to instinctively shut off my car and lock it every single time I exit. This "safety feature' results in me turning the car back on when i'm unaware it has already shut itself off. Luckily it wont lock with the engine on so I've always caught it.

Now I know the system, so I'm okay with it.

Registered
Just curious why it is that our American friends have such an aversion to wearing seat belts ......zero discomfort and the most effective and important safety feature by far in a car .......basically your 5 star ncap safety rating becomes 2-3 stars at most if you don't have a seatbelt on ......
Then again makes as much sense as electing trump president. (Sorry couldn't resist that dig !)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
melbarro said:
Just curious why it is that our American friends have such an aversion to wearing seat belts ......zero discomfort and the most effective and important safety feature by far in a car .......basically your 5 star ncap safety rating becomes 2-3 stars at most if you don't have a seatbelt on ......
Then again makes as much sense as electing trump president. (Sorry couldn't resist that dig !)
Do we? I always wear a seat belt. I guess only the stupid Americans don't (there's a lot of those). This happens when I park the car and take my seat belt off. It automatically shuts the car off the second you take it off, so one needs to close their windows, roof, etc before they take off their belt. It only happens in auto stop/start mode, so not a big issue.

Also, don't need to apologize to me....Trump is trash. I hate him, as does everyone I know. We did much better last time..just try to focus on that. :lol:

Registered
Ah sorry!! .... its the impatient aussie here not reading posts fully!!
Also, am very glad to hear you're a seat belt wearer and arent looking for a premature death!
Cheers !! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.