Range Rover Velar Forum banner

Wheel/Rim Sizing

13K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  ward565 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I've read some interesting comments on the new Velar but noted there is no topic on wheel/rim size hence the topic and for me wheels make a huge difference in appearance. I've ordered a Yulong White R Dynamic SE D300 and come standard with the 20 inch dark grey wheels. Not sure if this compliments the vehicle. I'm seriously considering upgrading to the 22 inch or even 21 inch wheels. Has anyone test driven all three sizes and what was your experience.

Thank you.

#6 ·
Just picked up mine with 20's and can confirm what Brooke is saying. It is also easier to find good aftermarket tires which are better than oem like continental dws 06

#9 ·
Thank you for the responses. Another wheel question to assist in my final spec.please. I gather the 22" on air is a comfortable ride but not ideal should you venture off road. Please correct me if I have assumed incorrectly. However how noisy are the 22 inch wheels. Brooke has mentioned the 20" is less noisy. Would someone kindly share their experience with the 22" noise levels and can you have a normal conversation without having to raise you voice?.

Thank you

#10 ·
I've looked into this a lot. Finally ordered my Velar sadly have to wait until 12/10! What I have been told, and what I experienced, is that 21" and 22" wheels lead to poorer ride experience than 20". Land Rover mechanic told me it's common knowledge on these cars that 20" is sweet spot. Big enough to look good, not too big to truly impact ride quality or performance. Personally, I have noticed a HUGE difference between even the 20" and 21", and I've taken many rides to try to figure it out. I have a bad back, so am particularly sensitive to harsher rides.

Note, the harshness isn't noticeable unless you hit a pothole, go into a parking lot where there are lots of bumps, offroading, etc. On a normal street w few bumps, all the wheels will ride great.

#12 ·
Adaptive Dynamics are standard across all Velar's with coil or air suspension. Configurable Dynamics are an option or standard on higher spec trim levels.

ADAPTIVE DYNAMICS
The Adaptive Dynamics system delivers both precise dynamics and a
supple, luxurious ride by monitoring wheel position and body movements.
To do this, the system constantly analyses acceleration, steering, throttle
and brake pedal activity. The electronically controlled dampers adjust
to optimise the suspension settings and provide the optimum balance
between comfort, refinement and agility at all times.

CONFIGURABLE DYNAMICS
To enhance either refinement and comfort or the vehicle's performance,
the optional Configurable Dynamics function allows you to configure
Range Rover Velar's throttle mapping, gearbox shift points, steering
settings and suspension to suit your driving needs.

#14 ·
21" on air, no issues, there is nothing harsh. 22", same car, gets mich harder, and you'd have to keep them at higher pressure to avoid damage. Also it gets jumpy even in comfort mode. IMO 21-inch is the sweet spot if you want looks and performance, plus there are sime tyres with wheel protector.

I have not driven on 20", common sense says it would be much softer, but you also get more sidewall play while cornering, as the tyre wall is so much higher. They are also narrower (255mm vs 265 for the 21 and 22"), even if only 5mm a side. Looks-wise - I just don't **** how it looks on 20". Too ordinary, and side to side it's like different cars. Not to mention the wheel choice JLR offers for 20" is not particularly attractive.

Ofc, the 22" look awesome, but I'd not try even a bumpy road, much less anyyhing remotely offroad-ish with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.