Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning.

I'm new to the forum and looking to buy my first ever Range Rover. Velar has caught my eye as I was looking at the Audi Q5 and F-Pace.

I will admit I'm so confused with the various models and trims available on the Velar.

What is the best all round value for money Velar? I want satnav, reversing camera, front and back sensors as a minimum.

Also I understand the high prices Velars have better future value which means you get quite a good deal on the PCP.

What kind of discounts are people achieving?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
28 Posts
ktvelar said:
Good morning.

I'm new to the forum and looking to buy my first ever Range Rover. Velar has caught my eye as I was looking at the Audi Q5 and F-Pace.

I will admit I'm so confused with the various models and trims available on the Velar.

What is the best all round value for money Velar? I want satnav, reversing camera, front and back sensors as a minimum.

Also I understand the high prices Velars have better future value which means you get quite a good deal on the PCP.

Thanks all!
S R-Dynamic. I have it with D300 engine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
Go to carwow and spec one. The best I see is a couple percent off. Depends if what your budget but you can either spec up the trim HSE with small engine or keep it bare with S and get a bigger engine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My suggestion would be to first settle on which engine size you want to have to enjoy your driving experience. Since one of the largest price variables is engine size, if you are content with a smaller engine, you will start with a much lower base price, and have more money to spend on optional features.
Secondly I would then make a list of "must have" features. Then look to see which spec levels includes most of them (although there are many that are still optional extras even on HSE). If its line ball between whether to chose a lower spec and add in all the options you want, or go to the next spec level up, (which may include some of the options automatically), then from a resale point of view its GENERALLY better to have the higher spec level, rather than a lower one with options included.
At the end of the day though, one great plus of this car is that it is VERY highly configurable, so everyone can chose exactly what they want to have in their particular car, to suit their needs.
Cheers :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
ktvelar said:
Good morning.

Thanks all!
Not sure I would say any of them are. I paid £53k for an SQ5 (348bhp 3.0 petrol) with 21s, pan roof, nappa leather, b&o sound and some other bits. A similar Velar when I looked was more like £70k. That's a very big difference and even if it's worth £10k more after 4 years that is still £200 a month extra depreciation...

You can get in a 3.0 diesel for under £50k with most of the spec if that is more your thing

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi All,

Hope everyone's doing well and the UK folks are enjoying the long Easter Weekend!

I'm a new member to Velar Forums and this is my First Post here - in the process of buying a Velar and have some questions/concerns:

1. My preference/budget is for the D180 R-Dynamic S but I'm tempted to go for the D240 R-Dynamic S. Any ideas if the 60bhp extra makes a noticeable difference in driving pleasure and is worth the extra money?

2. Having thoroughly researched Car Wow & Drive the Deal and reading through the Forum Posts - is it possible to get a 10% discount on a new factory order or stock car?

3. The Extras I'm thinking about adding are: Premium Metallic Paint, Sliding Electric Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Front & Rear Sensors, Activity Key, Ambient Colour Lighting, and Front & Rear Mudflaps. Can any of these be excluded or have I missed anything else that's important?

Thanks and really appreciate your help and insight! :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
The thing with extras is that what one man thinks important another doesn't. My head was spinning so much I went with a First Edition as the level of configurability was too much for me.

But to be more helpful, previously when I've been speccing cars I have taken guidance from the dealer based on the "when I come to sell it" question. For example, in the days when leather was an upgrade, there was no point in buying a new BMW with cloth upholstery as it would be hard to shift when you want to sell it. So although the car won't be worth any more, you might find yourself stuck with it.

The on line configurator with finance options is a useful tool in this regard. If you spec a car, go to the finance (pcp) quote, and note down the numbers. Then change the configuration by adding something and look at the numbers again. If the residual payment has stayed the same, but the headline price has increased, then you know the extra hasn't added any value to the car. So you then have to decide whether you think that the extra is something you really want and are happy to pay for..

An example of this is tow pack - very expensive to add afterwards but the entire cost of adding it is reflected in the increased monthly payment and makes no difference to the future value. I fancied a towbar "just in case " but wasn't prepared to pay for it.

Looking at the 180 vs 240, maybe see what the actual difference is over 3 years pcp - the 240 might retain more value than the 180 (I don't know), so might actually be a fairly low cost upgrade. Whether you go pcp or not doesn't matter, JLR have a good idea of future market values so if you buy outright then you will make your gain at point of sale.

Good luck with the decisions, it's all part of the fun 😎

·
Registered
558 Posts
It's all subjective.

I don't see the point in the pano roof as I like a cozy cabin and do not benefit from it sat in the front seats. Also I have a dog and I always found the Evoque got hot quicker when the sun was out with the roof.

Activity key is brilliant, if you're going for dynamic s add the interactive driver display ( full lcd screen) it is superb and adds value in my eyes.

Front and rear sensors and must as is privacy in my opinion as is cooled seat especially if you are a Blue jeans wearer in the summer months.

The only thing I wish I had added and not a day goes past, is heated steering wheel.

Yes they have the niggles, and I am growing increasingly frustrated with my useless service department at the local dealer who are more incompetent than a Kwik-Fit fitter, but they are fantastic and beautiful cars.

·
Registered
558 Posts
P.S. I have the D180 and find is perfectly acceptable. I had driven both and the difference wasn't worth the extra. This is after all a SUV and not a sports car

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was looking at the D180 but ended up getting a D240 as I wanted air suspension and you can't get it on the D180.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you are going pcp or lease then se/dynamic doesn't cost much more than s, petrol is terrible.

D180 has some very good deals
And d300 it at least 100pm more than that.

If you can live with the small engine then you won't pay much more per month than a high spec q5 or xc60 actually.

·
Registered
41 Posts
For residual values there is a free to use fleet tool

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/car-running-costs-calculator?Years=3&Miles=30000&CarType=&Manufacturer=land-rover&Model=range-rover-velar&CO2From=&CO2To=&BIKPriceFrom=&BIKPriceTo=&SortBy=IsFleetPick&SortDesc=False&FuelType=

Personally I disagree with the petrol residuals on there, they look low considering how the market is moving away from diesel.I am currently running a 66 plate Golf GTi, and it's held 2k or more in value compared to a GTD (unless that's just cos thats a very tainted engine...)
Friend in an X4 3.0D reports his residuals are way below what he expected after 3 years...he says cos diesel... (I daren't say cos an X4 :lol: )

·
Registered
558 Posts
The D240 or P250 engine with the SE model in R-dynamic trim appears to be the sweet spot.

You can go up or down an engine size based on your needs.
Personally I found the D180 underpowered for a 2.6 tonne gross car but it is a matter of personal choice and budget.

The S models can be quite sparsely specified and you will find the SE model adds a lot of the options you would expect to see at this end of the mid market. Not having some options could affect residuals.

I would recommend a couple of extended test drives in a couple of cars of different engine sizes and trims before you hit the button.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts