Chip / dent

Faults and Technical chat for the Range Rover Velar
cianelectric

Chip / dent

Post by cianelectric » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:18 pm

Noticed today I have a small chip and dent under the passenger door handle :-(

Anybody know if this might be ok with a smart repair?

The car has a gteqnic ceramic coating so that may complicate things! Really annoying :oops:

A56FD809-DC99-400E-87D5-1292020A1CC2.jpeg

P380NarvikEclipse

Re: Chip / dent

Post by P380NarvikEclipse » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:21 pm

Very sorry to see this.. especially with a ceramic coating! It looks like the chip is too deep to "buff" out, though still take it to a reputable detailer to get a professional opinion. Let us know what they say and what cost comes with it so others can be informed. Pain Protection Film (PPF - from someone like Xpel or 3M) is likely the only thing that could have prevented this assuming it's a chip from debris coming off the road and not a door swinging into it.
‘18 RR Velar R-Dynamic SE P380, Narvik Black wrapped in Xpel Stealth PPF, Eclipse interior

cianelectric

Post by cianelectric » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:32 am

Thanks for comments! Yes unfortunately it has chipped the paint and caused a small dent. I think the car may have got hit by a flying stone or something.

Land Rover will have the car for a week for some other work at the end of the month so I will ask them if they can advise anything then and report back!

Andyuk911

Post by Andyuk911 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:29 am

Stop - a dealer will want to repaint the complete door and maybe the whole side ....

I would find a local Paintless Dent Removal(PDR) guy ...

The next step is to 'fill' the chip with paint and lacquer and then buff it.

Alternatively, find a company like https://www.facebook.com/KDSKeltec You will be stunned by what they can achieve.

cianelectric

Post by cianelectric » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:46 am

Stop - a dealer will want to repaint the complete door and maybe the whole side ....

I would find a local Paintless Dent Removal(PDR) guy ...

The next step is to 'fill' the chip with paint and lacquer and then buff it.

Alternatively, find a company like https://www.facebook.com/KDSKeltec You will be stunned by what they can achieve.
Thanks Andy, that's really helpful.

I've spoken to two smart repair companies... both have suggested they think it needs a respray of the door which would be between 200 and 250+VAT.

There is the alternative of what you suggest I think - they said they could rectify the dent for around 65+VAT and then I could fill it / try and buff it out. I'm waiting to hear back from the detailing company that did the ceramic coating to see what they suggest.

I'll see what Land Rover say too - the dealer I bought from has a smart repair guy that comes in twice a week, so I hope they'd suggest something that isn't a full respray of the side of the car :-)

Will update once I decide what to do. The attached photo shows the dent a little better.

IMG_8375.JPG

Andyuk911

Post by Andyuk911 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:21 pm

That does not need a respray .. which could cause all sorts of issues, overspray, colour match etc etc Avoid is all I can say.

A good PDR guy will be able to get that perfect and then use a matchstick sharpened to a point and 'touch it', the paint will shrink into the chip. Next stage is the lacquer. let that to dry and buff flat. You might need to use some 1200 'wet'.

If you are not sure, just put a post up on Detailing World.

HTH

cianelectric

Post by cianelectric » Sat May 05, 2018 7:38 pm

I just thought I’d report back... andy’s advice was spot on.

Land Rover arranged for their smart repair guy to take the dent out whilst it was in for something else. They’ve only charged me £60 to take the dent out which he has done really well.

He has also touched in the chip - though it isn’t perfect, with the dent gone it’s not really noticeable at all. Pretty pleased with the service from them and the cost.

47AF4855-2BA0-4006-B185-A44F1A231E27.jpeg

E0123457-E859-465A-9D29-6A8C061C9DB4.png

mrgandfriends.co.uk

Post by mrgandfriends.co.uk » Wed May 16, 2018 8:02 am

It’s unfortunate that these cars just chip so easily isn’t it.
Looks like a good job though and if you’re happy with it then it’s a winner 👍🏼
Range Rover Velar, D300 HSE R-Dynamic, Corris Grey, Panoramic Sliding Roof, 21" 5 split-spoke 'Style 5047' with Diamond Turned finish, and a driver that smiles from ear to ear.

Return to “Faults & Technical”