N128 - Balancer Shaft Whine

Faults and Technical chat for the Range Rover Velar
LisJ

Re: N128 - Balancer Shaft Whine

Post by LisJ » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:54 pm

Bought my Velar D275 R Dynamic SE 10 days ago. 5,000 on clock and balance shaft problems; vibration, whistling. Its being picked up tomorrow. Now I know why the first owner got rid of it with only 4.800 on the clock! Can still hand back to dealership. Should I?

danielo

Post by danielo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:16 pm

msarshid@gmail.com wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:40 am
So I have another issue to add to the very long list of electrical problems (which I have been told it has been resolved today). I was experiencing a loud dull vibrating noise (almost sounding like a SVR) coming from the exhaust (intermittently) AND whistling/whining noise from the engine when excelerating.

Dealer has confirmed that balance shafts need replacing - again "will be booked in for a couple days"

Can any one else confirm they had a similar noise from the exhaust? or do I need to chase to diagnose another problem?

Velar 180d R-Dynamic SE
Hello msarshid hope you are well and you have finally put together that "Faulty" Velar - I´m somehow experiencing similar challenges.
What else did they replace appart of the balance shafts?

As to your concern, i´m not facing any noise from the Exhaust, just vibrations after the balance shaft was replaced.

Hope this helps.
Dan

danielo

Post by danielo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:19 pm

Spencerwilks wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:09 pm
Had exactly the same problem with 240 engine after 7000 miles. Dealer had to replace balance shaft which is an engine out operation because JLR would not authorise a replacement engine due to cost cutting programme in place. Dealer had car for 8 weeks whilst they argued with JLR and when the engine was finally reassembled a serious oil leak appeared.From our experience I would recommend your dealer tries for a new engine as stripping and rebuilding an engine is a highly risky operation by a dealer. Due to the problems encountered and threatening JLR with exposure in the motoring press we eventually received £1200 in compensation so it would have been cheaper for JLR to have replaced the engine rather than let the dealer mess about replacing the balancing shaft.
+1 - Same scenario here! I did not recive a compensation whatsover. In fact I was not very well looked after and even more after I went a couple of times more to see where the vibrations in the steering wheel I´m experiencing between 50 and 60 mph are coming from. They say that thats the behavior of the car and the 2.0 engine.... Come on!

MikeJL

Post by MikeJL » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:06 pm

My dealer picked up the dreaded whine when the car was in for its two-year service (13K miles). I hadn’t noticed anything wrong, and having just picked up the car following repair, I’m not sure I can hear anything different in the engine’s note now!
D240 HSE 18MY. Firenze Red, Eclipse Interior, Panoramic Roof, Air Suspension
20 way electric seats with 14 way memory :-(
Software Version: 20A