Frozen Door Handles

Faults and Technical chat for the Range Rover Velar
maranello1

Frozen Door Handles

Post by maranello1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:32 pm

Among a plethora of electrical issues common to the Velar, I've experienced consistent freezing of my door handles. Here in the NYC metro area, we've had some snow and ice, but I specifically remembering watching the promotional videos prior to the Velar launch where they make the door handle shoot thru ice - I'm here to tell you it doesn't work as advertised.

Mine is a first-delivery (late August 2017) build P380 with almost every option including Full Leather (my dealer and I didn't realize it would have been more cost-effectiev to order an HSE instead but we ordered it prior) - so it's effectively an HSE without the badge.

Anyone else?

Milky400

Re: Frozen Door Handles

Post by Milky400 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:18 pm

The video showed how good the Velar was at breaking through ice that had formed on the outside of the vehicle.

Now, when you add real world issues to that like.... errrrmmm WATER... is a whole different issue.

Personally not experience major issues other than the the rear handle which is currently being fixed.

threeputt

Post by threeputt » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:13 pm

My driver's side door handle does not retract when it is minus 10C or below, very strange. If I want it to be flush I need to put the window down, reach out and give it a little push.

VelarSam

Post by VelarSam » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:38 am

maranello1 wrote:Among a plethora of electrical issues common to the Velar, I've experienced consistent freezing of my door handles. Here in the NYC metro area, we've had some snow and ice, but I specifically remembering watching the promotional videos prior to the Velar launch where they make the door handle shoot thru ice - I'm here to tell you it doesn't work as advertised.

Mine is a first-delivery (late August 2017) build P380 with almost every option including Full Leather (my dealer and I didn't realize it would have been more cost-effectiev to order an HSE instead but we ordered it prior) - so it's effectively an HSE without the badge.

Anyone else?
I noticed the same today. In the past it worked well in snowy/icy conditions. However today I noticed that some water had gotten into the gap between the door handle and the car, and subsequently frozen. It took a couple of attempts to get the door handle to break through the ice. And then on locking the car, the handle wasn’t completely flush (again because of the ice). Scraped off the ice carefully and issue resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ludo

Post by Ludo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:08 pm

there' s a post on this matter here :

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=357
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
MY18 Velar D180 R-Dyn S, Corris, Black sliding pano roof, 20'' black rims, Black leather, Teinted glass. delivered oct. 2
2014 Freelander 2 D160 HSE

Sergey71

Post by Sergey71 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:56 pm

The internal mechanism of the handles freezes.
One time I had to put the car in an underground parking lot so that the handles thawed and dried everything inside
250P, Indus silver, Black painted roof ( sliding panoramic), Surround camera system, Leather console material

Donjw

Post by Donjw » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:45 pm

Yes, I’ve had that problem here in balmy Scotland. Great door handle design, at least for most of the year!

VelarMan

Post by VelarMan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:02 pm

Return to “Faults & Technical”