Power lift gate

Faults and Technical chat for the Range Rover Velar
MBvelar

Re: Power lift gate

Post by MBvelar » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:00 pm

Had the same issue with the tailgate opening / closing immediately for the last few weeks.

So i had a look today and fixed it by realigning the "Striker-Plate"

Over-time the Striker-Plate move's very slightly forward on the closing action of the tailgate. Eventually this causes the tailgate not to "POP" fully away from the striker thus causing the tailgate to close immediately.

Tools needed : 10mm socket & T40 Torx

First loosen the two 10mm nuts located in the recess pockets on the back-side of the lower boot sill trim

1.jpg

Pull the lower sill trim upwards to remove, six clips hold it in position so this can be very tight but it will come off

2.jpg

3.jpg

Now loosen the two T40 bolts and push the striker-plate down / inwards only very slight movement is needed ! I pushed mine down by 1mm

4.jpg

When complete :
Tighten the T40 bolts backup "Tight" & test the tailgate opening / closing action.

If successful the tailgate should now open with a very nice "POP"

Refit the lower sill trim and the two 10mm nuts , making sure the outer tailgate seal sits on top of the lower sill trim !

5.jpg

18MY R-Dynamic HSE D240 Corris Grey, Black Pack, 22" Black Rim's, Light Oyster/Ebony, Air-Suspension, Sliding Panoramic Roof

Jim55

Post by Jim55 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:20 pm

Excellent instructions and pictures MBvelar, you may want to submit the solution to Topix so JLR dealers can use them to sort out this issue - maybe JLR would pay you a fee for your work :D
December 2018: MY19.5, Kaikoura Stone, D300 R-Dynamic HSE, R-Dynamic Black Pack, 20" 10 spoke Satin Dark Grey wheels, fixed pano roof, Driver Assist pack, On/Off Road pack, Light Oyster seats and headlining.

MBvelar

Post by MBvelar » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:35 pm

Jim55 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:20 pm
Excellent instructions and pictures MBvelar, you may want to submit the solution to Topix so JLR dealers can use them to sort out this issue - maybe JLR would pay you a fee for your work :D
If Only ! :lol:

Cheers Jim55
18MY R-Dynamic HSE D240 Corris Grey, Black Pack, 22" Black Rim's, Light Oyster/Ebony, Air-Suspension, Sliding Panoramic Roof

EHH

Post by EHH » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:47 pm

Not sure as they had to remove the weatherstripping around the rear hatch to fix it, and not sure if it was at the bottom or the sides where they fixed the metal area. Of note, my husband thinks our dealer first tried that “Striker-plate” fix first , but didn’t work for us, but it may solve yours.

tanis

Post by tanis » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:35 am

tanis wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:53 am
Same problem here, I'll be sure to note them about possible solution.

I'll post the outcome as well.
Update, I told them about this when taking the car for the 26k service and they fixed it, just mentioned it needed a realignment.
D300 SE. Silicon Silver. With too many options.

Return to “Faults & Technical”