Pure disappointment

Faults and Technical chat for the Range Rover Velar
Spencerwilks

Re: Pure disappointment

Post by Spencerwilks » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:35 pm

Sorry to hear of your problems so welcome to the world of JLR and some of their dealers !
File a rejection letter with your dealer straight away and this can focus their attention to get work done.
My dealer knows that any repeat of the engine problem suffered the vehicle will be immediately rejected.
2017 240 D Dynamic R. Firenze Red with blackpack and black wheels

Paulvelard300

Post by Paulvelard300 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:07 pm

I first reported the fault on Monday 1 Oct, the day I purchased the car. I heard nothing, so I sent the sales person this email yesterday, I know its been received but still heard nothing. I might take the car an park it across the dealers (Farnell Land Rover Bolton) driveway and won't move it until they sort it out.

"I must admit I was shocked on Monday to be greeted with the mud flaps and the activity key are on back order and the car will have to come back on Friday. I sent you an email on the 27th asking “everything ok for Monday?” There was no mention of any issues.

Considering you have informed the sales manager and the service manager there appears to be no urgency. The missing mud flaps, activity key, in control not registering and the scratch are annoying but trivial; having no basic functions (being able to put the blower on to clear the windscreen or things coming on that shouldn’t) is causing me concern, so much so that I will not be driving it anymore, it could be a potential death trap!

I intended taking my family for a short break to Wales during half term and the plan was to go in the new car to give it a good run, but now I don’t want to go in this car with these serious issues, which is a shame as we have looked forward to this for some time. I will not allow my children to enter this car in this condition!

Along with the scratch, I had to spend half an hour removing blue tape from the boot, tread plates, which causes more concerns. Has the PDI been done correctly?

It’s just not good enough on a car that costs over 70k. Obviously the faults are inherent from new, it’s not of a satisfactory quality for the price, and it’s certainly not fit for purpose.

Along with all the mistakes, errors and apologies during the ordering process I am simply disgusted and bemused in every way. The saving through car wow is the same as the chargeable time I’ve lost dealing with ordering the car, so there was no actual saving in the end! The whole experience is Shocking, simply shocking!

In due course, I will be sending a detailed report to JLR detailing every single point, email, photo to date."
MY 2019 Velar D300 R-Dynamic HSE
Yulong White
Privacy Glass
Black Pack
Activity key
panoramic sunroof - Contrast roof
Config Dynamics
Ambient Lighting
22" 9 Split spoke diamond turned
Full Leather
Previous RR Sport Autobiography 2015

Spencerwilks

Post by Spencerwilks » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:16 pm

Paulvelard300 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:07 pm
I first reported the fault on Monday 1 Oct, the day I purchased the car. I heard nothing, so I sent the sales person this email yesterday, I know its been received but still heard nothing. I might take the car an park it across the dealers (Farnell Land Rover Bolton) driveway and won't move it until they sort it out.

"I must admit I was shocked on Monday to be greeted with the mud flaps and the activity key are on back order and the car will have to come back on Friday. I sent you an email on the 27th asking “everything ok for Monday?” There was no mention of any

In due course, I will be sending a detailed report to JLR detailing every single point, email, photo to date."

Best of luck with that one as JLR Customer Relations Centre are useless too even after I complained directly to Dr Ralf Speth.
2017 240 D Dynamic R. Firenze Red with blackpack and black wheels

Loz

Post by Loz » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:31 am

Good luck getting anywhere with this. Your experience so far based on my own experiences is just the very tip of a very large iceberg. If the car is on any kind of finance take up the issue in writing with the finance company. Your first port of call under finance is the finance company. Start the complaint process without delay and keep following up. They will take the p!ss as every stage but give then an inch they will take in excess of a mile.

You are in a much stronger position if you formally write to the finance company, supplying dealer and anyone else relevant immediately but within the first month of ownership.

My supplying dealer followed up my customer experience at 4 weeks/ one month. Coincidently missing the initial period of rejection! The sales person ignored my emails.

On the hand over of my car I was told that a feature being demonstrated did not work. “Would you like to book it in to service department Mr X?” Omg brand new car abs the slimy scum bag sales person thinks it is completely normal to book a car being handed over into the service department to investigate my concerns.

My input might well sound negative but I am now ten and a half months into a £ 86k nightmare. Car probably worth £ 55k. Needs a service now and only covered 5k miles. I could go on.

riccis

Post by riccis » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:08 pm

WOW. That is disappointing. Have always struggled to understand why manufacturers spend so much on advertising but are let down by their dealers.

I'll be the first to accept that issues happen. Things do go wrong even with the best will in the world. But it's how they are dealt with that is telling. The stories above probably say it all and the dealers should know that word of mouth spreads. And fast.

I too am sorry to hear of the issues. What really grates though is that they obviously saw the scratch as there is a clear attempt to cover it. If they put as much effort into resolving the issue as they do in trying to cover it up it would be a WIN WIN for all. Instead they try to fob the client off.

It's not only JLR though. I've had similar experiences with many manufacturers. I have stories that would make your toes curl! I know how you feel when you write you don't even want to look at the vehicle anymore. Shame as that should NOT be the experience you have when you fork out 30K let alone anything more for a car.

Keep us updated. I would be interested to read how this all works out for you all.
D300 First Edition Flux Silver

Edwin52

Post by Edwin52 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:14 am

Should I buy one?
I have a second test drive booked for tonight. I have owned a Sport and an Evoque in the past, both without problems. Reading problems on this forum that owners are having, I really am having second thoughts. My other choice is an X3, or do other makes have similar problems.
As has been mentioned, forums are a place to air ones grievances, there must be loads of very satisfied drivers out there, just wish they would also speak up.
D275 HSE R-Dynamic, Corris Grey, Eclipse & Ebony Interior, Black Roof, Opening Sunroof, too many extras to mention :D

MikeJL

Post by MikeJL » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:33 am

Edwin52 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:14 am
As has been mentioned, forums are a place to air ones grievances, there must be loads of very satisfied drivers out there, just wish they would also speak up.
I’ve had my Velar for four and a half months. No squeaks or rattles, nothing has broken or fallen off. Phase 4 software is reliable & features I am interested in work OK. My one bugbear is “by design”: 20 way memory seats that only remember 14 of the adjustments.
D240 HSE 18MY. Firenze Red, Eclipse Interior, Panoramic Roof, Air Suspension
20 way electric seats with 14 way memory :-(
Software Version: 18B

way318

Post by way318 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:49 am

I’ve now had mine 5 months and just turned 3000 miles and had no issues to complain about. Nothing has fallen off, no squeaks, no rattles and apart from the gesture tailgate which is a bit hit and miss everything works. There some design issues with the car which I believe could of been designed better but you could pick up that on any other car. Will be ordering another one when the time comes.

Edwin52

Post by Edwin52 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:40 pm

Thanks for those replies, I shall see what the overnight loan car feels like later today.
D275 HSE R-Dynamic, Corris Grey, Eclipse & Ebony Interior, Black Roof, Opening Sunroof, too many extras to mention :D

BainzyBoy

Post by BainzyBoy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:45 pm

Edwin52 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:14 am
Should I buy one?
I have a second test drive booked for tonight. I have owned a Sport and an Evoque in the past, both without problems. Reading problems on this forum that owners are having, I really am having second thoughts. My other choice is an X3, or do other makes have similar problems.
I cancelled my order after three weeks of being on these forums haha!
MY19 R-Dynamic SE - Narvik Black - Black Pack - "20" 7 Spoke Gloss Black Alloys - Privacy Glass - Adaptive Dynamics Estimated Delivery Nov 2019

Return to “Faults & Technical”