20k Miles, New engine being installed

Faults and Technical chat for the Range Rover Velar
MWinters

20k Miles, New engine being installed

Post by MWinters » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:48 am

I’ve had it less than 1 year, has been in the shop several times and now needs a new motor. Likely defective from the manufacturer.

Running rough or losing power, lack of engine compression in one or more cylinders.

Screen blackout & no volume on radio.

Has anyone else had to replace the motor? If it were yours, would you get rid of it?

I love the looks of the Velar but seems like it may be more trouble than it’s worth. Thoughts?

256F3304-BDD2-4320-9239-CC8EB6E58624.jpeg

Loz

Re: 20k Miles, New engine being installed

Post by Loz » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:53 am

I have experienced 11 months of issues that mostly have not been resolved. Never again will I entertain the model or brand. Would not be so bad if LR, dealer network or finance company gave a damn. Their could not careless attitude just puts the icing on the cake. As for new engine after 1 year. I am guessing this is not one of the more common outcomes to their poor reliability record.

MFinn

Post by MFinn » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:18 am

Same here, engine was replaced a month ago (30tkm).

I really wish we had "lemon law" here in europe too... i'd return the car immediately.

KRG

Post by KRG » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:26 pm

Oh wow. For the two of you that had engine replacements, which engine?
18 Velar R-Dynamic SE P250, Narvik Black/Eclipse

KRG

Post by KRG » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:31 pm

Also, as long as they put in a brand new engine it should be fine. OP in the the USA, why haven’t you returned via lemon law?

I’ve mentioned this before, by my last Porsche (2015) had major engine trouble after about 5k miles and they had to pull the engine and rebuild a cylinder. Car was at the dealer like 6 weeks while they tried to figure out why it happened and how to fix. The car was flawless after that until I traded it for the Velar and it didn’t seem to make a dent in the trade value.
18 Velar R-Dynamic SE P250, Narvik Black/Eclipse

MWinters

Post by MWinters » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:44 pm

Will you please explain how the lemon law works. The truth is, I’m a woman who saw a pretty car and unfamiliar with auto issues and processes. I’d like to learn what my options are.

MWinters

Post by MWinters » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:55 am

KRG wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:26 pm
Oh wow. For the two of you that had engine replacements, which engine?

Mine is the R-Dynamic SE.

Loz

Post by Loz » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:16 am

The Lemon Law in the USA only as I understand it is different in each State. Roughly speaking as I understand it if your car has a fault that has not been rectified after a number of attempts by supplying dealer then the Kemon Law but back can be requested.

The UK Law in this respect is a Lemon. A lame attempt at government appeasing its sponsors, the motor industry.

MWinters

Post by MWinters » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:13 pm

Update:

Engine was replaced. Less than 3 days out of the shop, screen goes black. Can’t control heat/air, radio, nothing...

1 month out of shop, check engine light comes back on. Take it to service, can’t find anything wrong. Reset the codes. The very next day, check engine light is back on. Back to the shop. A buy back case has been opened. This is infuriating.

CRC@LandRover

Post by CRC@LandRover » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:40 am

MWinters wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:13 pm
Update:

Engine was replaced. Less than 3 days out of the shop, screen goes black. Can’t control heat/air, radio, nothing...

1 month out of shop, check engine light comes back on. Take it to service, can’t find anything wrong. Reset the codes. The very next day, check engine light is back on. Back to the shop. A buy back case has been opened. This is infuriating.
Hi Mwinters,

Thank you for your message.

I am deeply sorry to learn of this.

Please DM me with your contact, vehicle and retailer details for me to investigate this matter further.

Thanks,

Chand - Land Rover UK

Return to “Faults & Technical”