Auto Headlights Can Lead To Trouble

Faults and Technical chat for the Range Rover Velar
Mac

Auto Headlights Can Lead To Trouble

Post by Mac » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:50 pm

When following some cars the auto headlights just don't work properly.

Tonight while following a Seat with LED rear lights the Velar headlights got very confused and kept going on high beam. Luckily I was not recording sound as I was swearing a lot and found it very embarrassing.

The car stopped and the 2 annoyed occupants got out (at end of video) and demanded to know what I was playing at. I had to apologise and explain that I had bought a Land Rover and faults come as standard. Luckily they appreciated my dilemma and did not give me a smack in the mouth.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited by Mac on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R-Dynamic S D180 - Fuji White - Black Pack - 20" Style 7014 7 spoke Gloss Black - Privacy Glass - Panoramic Roof - Scotland

MBvelar

Re: Auto Headlights Can Lead To Trouble

Post by MBvelar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:24 pm

Switched mine to "Manual" high-beam weeks ago, feel so more in control when driving now !
18MY R-Dynamic HSE D240 Corris Grey, Black Pack, 22" Black Rim's, Light Oyster/Ebony, Air-Suspension, Sliding Panoramic Roof

MITO

Post by MITO » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:59 pm

This does happen occasionally. If you click the headlight stalk back it disables the auto high beams until the next ignition cycle. Or you can just turn it off in the settings permanently. I find it works generally quite well though.

Ckvelar

Post by Ckvelar » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:24 pm

This happened to me and I was behind a police car !! Luckily they didn't pull me over but was crapping it as I didn't know how to turn it off.

DJY

Post by DJY » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:55 pm

Its the land rover obnoxious mode. It does not like following slow cars- who drives in the country at 30 MPH? :lol:

Not sure if it's the tail lights that caused a problem or the colour, it does it to me on white and silver cars. Since washing the windscreen on every journey it has not done it.

Pcheaven

Post by Pcheaven » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:23 pm

MITO wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:59 pm
This does happen occasionally. If you click the headlight stalk back it disables the auto high beams until the next ignition cycle. Or you can just turn it off in the settings permanently. I find it works generally quite well though.

Reselecting auto ( rotate upwards) on the headlamp stalk should reactivate adaptive beam lights.
I-Pace First Edition. Photon Red

Gone : R Dynamic HSE D300. HeadsUp, black pack, 22&20” black wheels, Off road pack, Tracker, air ionisation, tow bar, roof rails, pano roof, privacy glass, illuminated door plates, extended leather, config lighting

Adrian-69

Post by Adrian-69 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:59 pm

Mac wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:50 pm
When following some cars the auto headlights just don't work properly.

Tonight while following a Seat with LED rear lights the Velar headlights got very confused and kept going on high beam. Luckily I was not recording sound as I was swearing a lot and found it very embarrassing.

The car stopped and the 2 annoyed occupants got out (at end of video) and demanded to know what I was playing at. I had to apologise and explain that I had bought a Land Rover and faults come as standard. Luckily they appreciated my dilemma and did not give me a smack in the mouth.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Never had a single issue and had been using the feature from the first day I picked up the vehicle (Feb 2018)
========================================================================
2018 D180 R-Dynamic HSE
Fuji White, Black Top; 21" Wheels; Driver Assist Pkg; Smart Phone Pkg; Climate Pkg; Convenience Pkg; On-Off Road Pkg; Tow Pkg; 350 mm Front Brakes;

Loz

Post by Loz » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:37 pm

With all the tech on cars now that require cameras to be operating with a clear image I have found it vital to keep the car clean or at least the cameras. Certainly the camera behind the rear view mirror ie keep the windscreen clean. This might help with LED Matrix headlight functionality.

That said never had an issue on my Audi with Matrux lighting.

Return to “Faults & Technical”