Engine rough on start

Faults and Technical chat for the Range Rover Velar
cianelectric

Engine rough on start

Post by cianelectric » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:48 am

My Velar was really rough when I started it this morning... it was before I pulled off the drive to the extent that you could feel the vibration in the car. It resolved after a few seconds. Never had that before... no warning lights and I drove 70 miles in it since and it’s been fine. Anyone know what would have caused that?! Thanks
D240 SE Corris / Acorn Leather with lots of options (including extended leather, aluminium door trim, sliding roof, air suspension, electric tow bar, activity key)
Thinkware dashcam front and rear

fatmanz

Re: Engine rough on start

Post by fatmanz » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:20 pm

I would suggest calling out LR assist to take a look and see if they can read out a fault code.

I had a similar issue with engine knock but it only happened twice and it can't be reproduced. LR assist checked the engine over and saw that there was a low fuel pressure warning logged. It's being investigated by the LR Service team at the moment.
P300, R-Dynamic S, Narvik Black, 21" 1033 Dark Grey, Air Suspension, Extended Leather, toys...

Loz

Post by Loz » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:20 am

My D300 was okay on cold starts, no real grumble noise or vibration. Agent in for first service at 6,000 miles and came back with a very rough grumble idle when cold. Appears to clear once driven/ warned up but very noticble when cold. The colder the outside ambient temperature is the more crumblier it is.

Spencerwilks

Post by Spencerwilks » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:55 pm

The D 240 Ingenium engine and the JLR manufactured engines are known to have balance shaft vibration issues and this also produces a whine on revving the engine.
If it is the balance shaft insist on a new engine as letting the dealer remove the engine,strip it and replace the balance shaft and bearings can be a disaster as we found when our 7000 miler developed this problem. A technical bulletin N 128 has been issued to dealers on this problem.
2017 240 D Dynamic R. Firenze Red with blackpack and black wheels

Return to “Faults & Technical”